Sc300 5 Speed Transmission

mcjohnston

Thank you for the note. I have a 96 SC300 5 speed and I took it out for service yesterday and the guy said to me that is a very (rare bird) car. I asked him how many were made and he was not sure. I called Lexus in Torrance, CA today and they were not able to tell me either. The guy said, if I knew Japanese I could call Japan and ask myself. :( I read in someones posting that there were 232 made in 1996. Not sure if that is accurate, but it does make sence since they were no longer made after 1997. I did not know that I was in the ES forum.

Question. I have a 1993 ES 300 with 80k on the odo, and the instrument cluster is starting to flicker. Is this happening to yours or do you of know of this happening to anyone else?

Thanks,

Hehe, no problem. Yup you have a rare car, and definitely don't get rid of it. These days, a manual transmission car is a gem. I think with the ES300, it was something like 5-10% of the ES300s sold had a manual tranny in it for the 1992 model year (it was stopped by 1994). I would enticipate about the same percentage for the SC up until it stopped manual tranny producation. As far as your flickering of your cluster, are you talking about the needles or the backlighting for the gauge? If you are talking about the needles, then mine does it at one spot on the speedometer (occasionally though, and once in a while on my gas gauge). To solve that problem, I turned down the light to reduce the energy going into the needles/backlighting (that actually will prolong the life of the lights). There is actually several threads on how to replace the needles. If you go the LS400/LS430 forum, there is a pinned topic entitiled "Replacing Burnt Out Needles In Instrument Panel". It tells you who you can send it to have it repaired, and I believe it has intructions on how to remove it. Check out the FAQs in each forum section (in your case, the ES and SC), and try out our search engine by typing in key words. This website has a lot of information.

Oh and by the way, Welcome to the LOC!!!! :cheers:

Thank you. Yes, it is just the needles on the ES. I turn the brightness down and it does help a great bit. Lexus wanted 2k to replace the instrument cluster and I said no way. They tell me it is an issue with the motherboard. I do not know very much about the electronic aspect of the dash. I was thinking these were filled with some sort of gel. Do you know?

I'm glad the turning the brightness helped you out a bit. I finally found that link I was talking about regarding the needles. click here for lextech.org

It's a very good site telling you what is causing the flickering and how to uninstall the cluster. Basically what's inside the needles is a thin piece of metal, and when it gets too hot it turns dark, and when it cools it lights up (imagine that happening in several times). That's what is causing the flickering by it constantly getting hot and then cooling. The motherboard is also at fault due to a defect I think. I may have explained it wrong, but the site would give a way better explanation on it. You can also send the gauge in to them and have it repaired. They can also change the lighting on your cluster too to certain colors too. They can do all of that for a much cheaper price of the dealer.