'98 Ls / '04 Ls Price Comparison

MikeP

I was cleaning out one of my “catch-all” desk drawers and came across the window sticker for my 1998 LS400. I looked at the standard and optional features listed along with the MSRP, then pulled out the window sticker for my 2004 LS430 for comparison. I was pretty amazed to see that the ’04, with its additional features as standard, was cheaper.

’98 LS400 ’04 LS430

Base Price $53,200 $55,375

6 CD auto changer 1,050 0

Moonroof 1,120 0

Wood/Leather wheel & shift knob 330 0

HID headlamps 500 0

Carpeted Floor Mats 112 0

Trunk Mat 65 69

Wheel Locks 48 81

Total $56,425 $55,535

Then, add the additional equipment that is standard on the '04 LS430:

6-Speed Transmission

17” Wheels

Curtain Airbags

Knee Airbags

Brake Assist

Stability Control

Adaptive Headlights

Rain-Sensing windshield wipers

Water Repellent front door glass

Rear lighted vanity mirrors

Electrochromatic Inside/Outside mirrors

Power folding outside mirrors with puddle lamps

Compass

Power Trunk closer

Rear Window sunshade

It’s pretty amazing to me that Lexus has been able to hold the prices on the LS430. I hope when the 2007 model arrives, the price follows suit.

Mike

Yes, the line on pricing will likely hold and prices may even go down as Toyota moves its assembly of Lexus vehicles to the Chinese mainland where labor costs are a fraction of those in Japan and the U.S.

Toyota has for some time been manufacturing parts in China used in Lexus branded vehicles and assembling some of its more complex Toyota branded vehicles such as the Landcruiser Prado (in the U.S. called the Lexus GX470):

http://www.toyota.co.jp/en/about_toyota/history/2000.html

FYI, the retail on my 2000 LS was $61,770 including a supposedly $1,700 dealer installed chrome wheel option and before a $1,900 "Platinum MSRP Discount". Based on the prices in the autotrader.com archive it looks like the maximum retail with Nav and air suspension for a U.S. spec LS in 2000 was around $64,500.

The top prices for the final LS400's were likely substantially higher in countries where power rear seats (with massage!), and rear seat A/C and audio system controls were available.

Kind of funny how Toyota finally put all the rear seat goodies on a U.S. spec LS430 and called it the "Ultra Luxury" (in Europe, the "President").

The window sticker for my 1990 LS400 was $39,976 after options. $39K was a super deal on the 90' LS400s, but when they saw how popular the car was, the prices sky rocketed for several years. Interesting that the prices declined a bit.