Gs 300 Not Accelerating Vsc Light On

I have an automotive shop and dealership. My 2001 gs300 with 52000 miles has given me no trouble until 3 weeks ago. While going up a hill I felt a slight pop in the accelerator pedal. The pedal went almost all the way to the floor (past 75%) before the car had any power. I pulled over and checked everything. I got back in the car and cranked it back up. The vsc and cel were still on, but I did have full accelertor pedal. This was fine for about 2 miles until I tried to merge onto the interstate and the same thing happened again. I almost became a hood ornament on a Mack truck. I pulled and repeated the same procedure and again full pedal returned.

I got the car back to my shop and pulled up the following codes: p0753, p0758, p0763, p1126, p1656. We have replaced the throttle body assemble twice thinking that might be the problem. We have also traced all the wires from the ecu to the throttle body looking for an open or short. This car has never been in an accident.

Please help. If someone has experienced this same problem please let me know. Your help will be greatly appreciated. THANKS!!!!!!

Interesting that you are concentrating on the throttle body. None of the codes you mentioned have anything to do with the TB. The DTC's you mention (the transmission DTCs) do possibly have to do with the problem you have.

P0753 Shift Solenoid ”A” Electrical Malfunction (Shift Solenoid Valve No.1)

P0758 Shift Solenoid ”B” Electrical Malfunction (Shift Solenoid Valve No.2)

P0763 Shift Solenoid ”C” Electrical Malfunction (Shift Solenoid Valve No.3)

P1126 Magnetic Clutch Circuit Malfunction

P1656 OCV Circuit Malfunction (Oil Control Valve, Engine)

I'd be interested to know how you make out. What kind of information access do you have? Alldata, factory service data?

If the accelerator pedal only works on the last 25% of the travel then the electronic throttle is not working and the fail safe system is being used (old style throttle cable on the 300). The fault would normally be the throttle control motor or the TPS.

When you replaced the throttle body did that include new throttle motor and TPS or did you just swap those over?

P1126 is Magnetic Clutch Circuit Malfunction is not part of the AC it is clutch between the throttle motor and throttle valve. I guess this is the code that is nearest to the problem.

P1656 OCV Circuit Malfunction (Oil Control Valve, Engine) is part of the VVT-i

CIP1126.PDF

Thanks guys for all the info. We did switch out the entire throttle body assemblies including the tps and magnetic clutch. The only thing I know to do now is the ecm. My question about doing that is; does there exist a method of reflashing or reprogramming an existing ecm from one car to another? I could buy a new one but like I stated before, that costs about $1400 for the part with NO chance of returning it.

I really appreciate everyone's help so far; I hope someone has the answer.......

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would check the wiring back to the ECU. Normally Toyota/Lexus ECUs are very reliable and wouldn't normally give the intermittent problem you have had, either fail or not.

You can swap them from one car to another. You would probably need another 2001 onwards model as the ECU changed in 2001. Once the connectors have been disconnected for 30 seconds it will lose it's OBD-II memory and fuel trims and after 5 minutes will lose the adaptive gearbox settings so there is no need to program it for one car or another, it will just go back to default settings and re-learn things.

The only problem may be the immobiliser programming is stored in the engine ECU. You may need to reprogram keys to get it to start or remove the electronics from the doner vehicle key into your key.

I had the same problem on my GS when I first got it from the dealer. I bought a used on with 70k on it. It drove great for 3 weeks and then the same *BLEEP*...making a left turn...no pedal...VSC light on and Limited acceleration. Pulled over turned the car off, took the key out, put it back in and got my pedal back. Found out that it was a factory recall and lexus will replace the sensor for free. (although, I did have to argue to get them to do it for nothing.) Search the recalls!

I had the same problem on my GS when I first got it from the dealer. I bought a used on with 70k on it. It drove great for 3 weeks and then the same *BLEEP*...making a left turn...no pedal...VSC light on and Limited acceleration. Pulled over turned the car off, took the key out, put it back in and got my pedal back. Found out that it was a factory recall and lexus will replace the sensor for free. (although, I did have to argue to get them to do it for nothing.) Search the recalls!

This sounds alot like my problem w/ my '98 GS. How do you search the recalls??

I found this? <_<

Toyota Motor Company, Ltd.

Models:

Lexus GS300 Years: 1998

Lexus GS400 Years: 1998

Number Involved: 14,855

Dates of Manufacture: May 1997 - February 1998

NHTSA Recall No.: 98V080

Vehicle Description:

Description of Defect: Due to a manufacturing defect of the yaw rate sensor for the vehicle stability control (VSC), the VSC can operate improperly if the sensor is affected by certain electromagnetic waves, such as from a cellular phone. Should this occur, the brake can operate unexpectedly, affecting steering and speed control, increasing the risk of a vehicle crash.

Remedy: Dealers will replace the yaw rate sensor.

Owner Notification: Owner notification is expected to begin during June 1998. Owners who do not receive the free remedy within a reasonable time should contact Lexus at 1-888-333-9376.

This sounds alot like my problem w/ my '98 GS. How do you search the recalls??

Check here for recalls and technical service bulletins! You only get the title of the recall or TSB for free, but you can point your service person in the general direction if you see one that looks to be affecting your car.

• 9 months later...
I have an automotive shop and dealership.  My 2001 gs300 with 52000 miles has given me no trouble until 3 weeks ago.  While going up a hill I felt a slight pop in the accelerator pedal.  The pedal went almost all the way to the floor (past 75%) before the car had any power.  I pulled over and checked everything.  I got back in the car and cranked it back up.  The vsc and cel were still on, but I did have full accelertor pedal.  This was fine for about 2 miles until I tried to merge onto the interstate and the same thing happened again.  I almost became a hood ornament on a Mack truck.  I pulled and repeated the same procedure and again full pedal returned.

I got the car back to my shop and pulled up the following codes: p0753, p0758, p0763, p1126, p1656.  We have replaced the throttle body assemble twice thinking that might be the problem.  We have also traced all the wires from the ecu to the throttle body looking for an open or short.  This car has never been in an accident. 

Please help.  If someone has experienced this same problem please let me know.  Your help will be greatly appreciated.  THANKS!!!!!!

I have had continuing problem with my 1998 gs300 lexus . Seems to happen when i slow down or am in stop start traffic .Vsc and engine lights come on and throttle response reduces to about the last 25% of travel. When this first happened the car returned to normal when the ignition was swithed off and turned on again, but after doing this in response to the problem maybe 6 or so times ,switching off the ignition and turning on again did not reset the throttle and turn off the warning lights. So we plugged in the computer code reader and it came up code for TPS so we bought a new TPS from Lexus and fitted it and had no problems for a 1000 miles or so, but now its back doing the same thing and i can almost pick when its going to do it which is when i slow down and or change direction .Now when it does it and we check for codes there are none and it always resets and carries on fine by just tuning off ignition and switching it straight back on again.PLEASEEEEE has anyone got to the bottom of this pproblem and worked out why it is happening. I know that when it occurs the electronic butterfly in throttle body is not responding and so only the cable operated portion is left to give you acceleration. You can mimic the problem by disconecting the plug on the electronic butterfly.HELPPPPP.

• 1 year later...

I am having the same problem with my 99 GS400 with 136K miles on it. The problem does not go away when you turn the key off, so I have been disconnecting the battery to "fix" it. I have not had any codes run yet, but if anyone has any suggestions about what would cause this, that would be great.

Thanks.

• 3 years later...

I have had continuing problem with my 1998 gs300 lexus . Seems to happen when i slow down or am in stop start traffic .Vsc and engine lights come on and throttle response reduces to about the last 25% of travel. When this first happened the car returned to normal when the ignition was swithed off and turned on again, but after doing this in response to the problem maybe 6 or so times ,switching off the ignition and turning on again did not reset the throttle and turn off the warning lights. So we plugged in the computer code reader and it came up code for TPS so we bought a new TPS from Lexus and fitted it and had no problems for a 1000 miles or so, but now its back doing the same thing and i can almost pick when its going to do it which is when i slow down and or change direction .Now when it does it and we check for codes there are none and it always resets and carries on fine by just tuning off ignition and switching it straight back on again.PLEASEEEEE has anyone got to the bottom of this pproblem and worked out why it is happening. I know that when it occurs the electronic butterfly in throttle body is not responding and so only the cable operated portion is left to give you acceleration. You can mimic the problem by disconecting the plug on the electronic butterfly.HELPPPPP.

Hi,

We read your forum post about the sudden loss of power for your Lexus GS 300, year 1999 model. We have the exact same car and have the exact same problem with loss of power, the car refusing to accelerate, and the RPM not responding. After restarting the car, the VSC, VSC off, and Check Engine lights came on. Did you find a solution for your problem?

We have also tried to get this problem fixed in the past but the car mechanics were unable to duplicate the situation, so after a few months, sometimes the problem would suddenly occur again, mostly while driving on the freeway. This seems to be a common problem with Lexus owners but no one has really suggested what the problem might be. Was it really the TPS in the end and did you manage to find a permanent fix?

Can anyone please help! thanks!

• 4 months later...

OH PLEASEEEEEE... I'm in the same boat, so to say!! 1999 GS-300 with 72,000 (i bought with 32,000 three yrs ago) the car was cherry, I have no other transportation, an unreliable car is useless to me...I can't believe lexus cannot get to the bottom of this...the thought of being rear-ended by a MAK truck while driving on interstate 75 and loosing throttle is too scary, I won't even drive the car anymore!! I have to borrow friends cars just to get to work this has gone on for almost 3 weeks, the car's "get fixed" codes go away, I get in the car take it down the street, it starts to bog down then the VCS, VCS off, and engine light are on and no go unless I floor it and get 10 mph out of it... Someone suggested class action lawsuit since there was a recall orig. then lexus stopped putting these on the cars after 2006 (if I have all my facts right?!). I'm ONE desperate woman!!! the only thing that hasn't been replaced yet are the cable's and no one here has even mentioned those. I've already replaced all the sensors and the throttle motor (i'm in the hole for about $600) friends are working on the car for me (yes they are qualified)...Please HELP!!!

• 6 months later...

OH PLEASEEEEEE... I'm in the same boat, so to say!! 1999 GS-300 with 72,000 (i bought with 32,000 three yrs ago) the car was cherry, I have no other transportation, an unreliable car is useless to me...I can't believe lexus cannot get to the bottom of this...the thought of being rear-ended by a MAK truck while driving on interstate 75 and loosing throttle is too scary, I won't even drive the car anymore!! I have to borrow friends cars just to get to work this has gone on for almost 3 weeks, the car's "get fixed" codes go away, I get in the car take it down the street, it starts to bog down then the VCS, VCS off, and engine light are on and no go unless I floor it and get 10 mph out of it... Someone suggested class action lawsuit since there was a recall orig. then lexus stopped putting these on the cars after 2006 (if I have all my facts right?!). I'm ONE desperate woman!!! the only thing that hasn't been replaced yet are the cable's and no one here has even mentioned those. I've already replaced all the sensors and the throttle motor (i'm in the hole for about $600) friends are working on the car for me (yes they are qualified)...Please HELP!!!

Did you ever find a permanent fix for your problem? I currently have a similar problem and I am planning to take it to the shop tomorrow to get it diagnosed and any information ahead to help them out would be great.

• 3 weeks later...

Update... I took my car to lexus a few days ago and they diagnosed the problem within an hour. For me the problem was the injector. I have driven the vehicle probably a little more than 200 miles since getting it fixed everything is in great shape so far. Turned out to only be a $400 fix..

• 2 months later...

I have a brother who had a 2000 GS300 that had the same problem. His was the catalytic converter. He had all the symptoms u described. After replacing the cat, the car went back to normal & drove fine until he totaled it 2 months later.

• 3 months later...

Seems like this is common problem and LEXUS is unwilling to take care of the problem. I took my car in to Lexus in Escondido with this problems (VCS/VCS OFF, CHECK ENGINE LIGHT ON and accelerator not responding) and rather than getting to the root of the problem, they were hitting me up with $7000 worth of work that was not needed, ie...new tires, alignment, and misc. work. Needless to say, they never took care of the problem. If nothing else, I was very disappointed in their service and attitudes. After going back and forth about them charging me for a diagnosis, they refunded me my money and told me I could never go back to their shop or the Carlsbad dealership since they are tied together.

Anyway, has anyone come up with a resolution to this on going problem? I would really like to know.

Thanks.

• 6 months later...

i am now having the same problem with my gs 300 replaced tps still having problem would replacing the whole throttle body be the smart thing to do instead of replacing apps and that not fixing problem

• 2 weeks later...

I am also having this same problem with my 2003 Lexus Gs300. I replaced the TPS and also replaced the Throttle Control Motor Part Number 89672-30020 incase you need it but has not work. when i drive in the morning its ok and during the evening the peddal loses its push sinks to the floor and im am only working with the wire. Nothing has worked! help!

• 11 months later...

I just had the same problem with my 99 GS 400. Its extremely cold here (winnipeg canada - highs had been in the -25 to -32 C range for the past couple of weeks) an I initially thought it may have something to do with that. But I also had noticed a driveline noise coming from behind me.

The wheels had been put on recently. I checked them all and the left rear was loose. After I tightened it I got back in the car and the check engine lights and VSC lights were all gone. No problems since then.

So, obviously an issue with any of the wheel sensors will cause this problem. If it happens to you check to make sure you don't have a loose wheel before driving the car further!

Kevin

• 3 weeks later...

Posted 21 February 2011 - 09:17 AM

'1luckyjohn', on 22 Oct 2005 - 11:36, said:snapback.png

Hi,

We read your forum post about the sudden loss of power for your Lexus GS 300, year 1999 model. We have the exact same car and have the exact same problem with loss of power, the car refusing to accelerate, and the RPM not responding. After restarting the car, the VSC, VSC off, and Check Engine lights came on. Did you find a solution for your problem?

We have also tried to get this problem fixed in the past but the car mechanics were unable to duplicate the situation, so after a few months, sometimes the problem would suddenly occur again, mostly while driving on the freeway. This seems to be a common problem with Lexus owners but no one has really suggested what the problem might be. Was it really the TPS in the end and did you manage to find a permanent fix?

Can anyone please help! thanks!

Did you check ETCS fuse at engine room fusebox...?

• 1 year later...

I am brand new to the group so not sure if I posted my question correctly, so, I will try again. My 1998 GS300 has just under 150,000 miles. I put 100,000 of them since getting the car in 2001. Have always kept it well maintained and never any issues. Last year it started leaking oil from (I think) the head gasket? Anyway the one which is labor intensive to replace. The check engine light has been on pretty much since the leak started, altho I always keep the proper oil level and have been using Castrol Full Synthetic as the years and miles have accumulated. I assumed the light was caused by the oil leak. Then before making the appt. with the repair shop, I slowed down to turn, had to stop for traffic, and the car ran so rough and idled so slowly that I had to gas and brake at the same time to raise the rpms till I could make my turn. At the same time as the car started to run rough, both of the VSC lights came on and wouldn't go off. I (unfortunately) was not who dropped my car off to be fixed, and apparently the guy only replaced the gasket and the timing belt but claimed not to see the lights nor feel it drive rough. Had I been the one to take it in, I would have made sure he knew those issues going in. Anyway, I picked it up, and before I got to work the lights and rough running came right back. I took it back, told him the issues, he kept it all day and said there "might have been a speck of dust" or something on something they replaced, but now it's gone. I told them to drive it a good little distance, and don't drive it like a granny either (I drive it like the performance car it is, always have). Again, he denied any more lights or roughness. And you guessed it: same thing. Mind you, this is after he's been paid nearly $2000 to replace the gasket and timing chain. Certainly hasn't fixed these issues. I'm taking it back tomorrow and have much less patience than my husband. Thoughts?