Lx450 Headlight Replacement

inferno

I'm quite new at all of this, but I'm not to bad with my hands. anyways, one of my front headlights went out on my 1996 lx450 and i got the bulb to replace it with (per the owners manual) but i'm not quite sure how to get that pesky front cover off. There is no screw and there are like 4 or 5 metal U pieces that seem awfully tight and difficult to remove attached holding the cover in place.

any tips on how to get the cover off so i can just switch out the bulb?

i was under the impression this would be a simple job.

I'm quite new at all of this, but I'm not to bad with my hands. anyways, one of my front headlights went out on my 1996 lx450 and i got the bulb to replace it with (per the owners manual) but i'm not quite sure how to get that pesky front cover off. There is no screw and there are like 4 or 5 metal U pieces that seem awfully tight and difficult to remove attached holding the cover in place.

any tips on how to get the cover off so i can just switch out the bulb?

i was under the impression this would be a simple job.

You don't at all have to take the lense cover off. The bulbs go in from the back side of the light housing. May need to pull the battery out for good access. Passenger side is a straight shot. But all you need to do is unscrew the circular light fixture (about 2" diameter plastic bulb holder screws right into the back of the light housing). Unsrew and pull it out, and there's your bulb.

Easy japaneesy!

:cheers:

Rookie

You should be able to reach all bulbs from the engine compartment without removing anything -- I recall it was a tight fit on the driver's side -- battery box was a bit in the way, but I was able to manage -- and I've got fairly large hands and arms. The average guy shouldn't have a problem. I do recall one of the sockets was very tight -- i.e. difficult to unscrew.

And...as Alanc mentioned, don't get your fingerprints or any oils on the bulb. As I understand it, the oils from your hands will heat up faster than the glass -- after a short time, the bulb will burst.

You should be able to reach all bulbs from the engine compartment without removing anything

Don't know if the 450 is different than my 470 but to get to the parking light I had to take off the protective cover in the wheel well.... all others (hi/lo/fog/turn) are accessible pretty easily.

-- and I've got fairly large hands and You know what they say about guys the have big hands and big feet....

..... they wear big shoes and big gloves. :D :flipoff2:

And I do wear big shoes and big gloves...but that doesn't mean the rest of me is small :D

You got that rig lifted and running 315s yet? :flipoff2:

And I do wear big shoes and big gloves...but that doesn't mean the rest of me is small :D

You got that rig lifted and running 315s yet?  :flipoff2:

No.. not yet :( . I'm probably going to go the wimpy route.. 285's with medium lift. Once the tread on this set of tire runs out, I think that will be my move. I need to figure out if I'll have to replace shocks. They're currently KYB Monomax, and pretty new. I guess it will be a gradual process. Not ready to totally ditch the mall cruiser look just yet... still in the honeymoon/shrink wrap phase :D .

My current wish list is:

Medium Lift

Sliders

Rear E-locker swapout.

I think I'm ready to step up from the Starbuck's curb though, and get in on one of the amatuer circuits to see how well I like it.

:cheers:

Rookie