Nav/dvd In The Gs

Im buying a GS 400/430 in feb but not sure which one to get or what year. What would help me is to know every thing about the nav/dvd. What year did lexus start this and in what model 400/430? Updateing the nav i hear some have a hard drive is that something hard to get updated or is it more a coast thing? i can get a real nice after market dvd/nav for $2300 thats with the labor but i would love the stock look of lexus.Thanks for any help.

the disc drive navigation was in the gs400 from 98 to 2000 . when the engine changed to gs430 in 2001 the dvd based navigation system started. aftermarket dvd and tv tuner or xm, ipod etc can be added to the factory systems with adapters that plug into the amp. the actual dvd navigation computer unit does not play dvd movies only reads navigation disc. if you find one with out navigation a used factory navigation system could be added on for around the same as aftermarket.