Power Steering Rack?

harippa

hello,

I am in a bit of trouble with my 93 SC400 with 130 k miles. about 4/5 months ago the PS pump had to be replaced, by dealer, cause it was giving loud nouse. And it was probably leaking too.

15 days ago power steering was giving problems again.. it was stiff, and noise came back. Dealer changed the PS pump for free. 7 days ago the same situation.

This time the dealar changed a hose ( i forgot the name, a 20/30 bucks hose) for free, PS pump is not leaking anymore they said. they are calling to tell me that the problem is still there, and suggesting me to get rid of the car.. Cause they think it will keep giving me troubles.. and it sounds like they are not sure whats causing the problem.. they are saying the Power Steering Rack needs to be changed.. for around 1000 bucks (estimated verbal quote).

Does that sound like a good diagnosis to you? My wife wants to keep the car.. she likes it. but We are both students.. .. u know the financial issue. If we look at getting another one... neither me or her really like the ES.. the lady we deal with Brenda, at the Hoffman Lexus in Hartford, CT.. suggested a RX300..

I am looking for your suggestions on the mechanical issue and also what are the other good options for a Lexus?

Thanks for your input.

ps: we have done a near complete tune up with spark plugs wires, a few flush and fills, PS pump.. new tires.. so u know, what to suggest about if we should keep the car....

And the car is steal at the dealar, and they wanna know our decision.. so if you read it, please write something :) thanks again

Did they put the car upon a Rack and turn the steering to see if they could find the source of the problem? Check the a-arms and see if there is some binding in the actual steering and not the rack and pump. There could be something mechanical that is causing the pump and rack problems. Don't assume that the resulting problem is the source.

Good Luck!

dont sell your car because your steering is a bit stiff. $1000 at a lexus dealership = $600 bucks at a local mechanic shop.

i'm not too familiar with steering problems, but sounds like if a hose was leaking, it could have gotten elseware, dried, then froze up the wheel.

Thanks for the inputs Bandit, BlackSC4.. gives me hope.. :) Car is still at the dearlars.. my wife's telling me that Brenda, the Service lady wants our car, thats why she's suggesting us to sell :)

Another point/question... if the problem went away after changing the PSpump the second time.. (it came back again tho), isn't it the PSpump?? Should I tell them to change the PSpump again.. should be covered under waranty (they changed it, so should be covered)

What else should I tell them to check for? Specifi terms? I dont know much about cars :(

Thanks again.

Study this thread: http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...topic=16383&hl=

If the metal filter screens inside the power steering fluid reservoir and steering rack solenoid valve are not cleaned up and kept clean then.....you could end up needing to replace the power steering pump / steering rack /associated high pressure hoses every 6 months from now until eternity.

The dealers and service shops are not all honest and competent so some don't even know about these filters or tell their customers how important they are.

Study this thread: http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...topic=16383&hl=

If the metal filter screens inside the power steering fluid reservoir and steering rack solenoid valve are not cleaned up and kept clean then.....you could end up needing to replace the power steering pump / steering rack /associated high pressure hoses every 6 months from now until eternity.

The dealers and service shops are not all honest and competent so some don't even know about these filters or tell their customers how important they are.

Can you please tell me more about where these screens are located? I recently added a stop leak and within a few days, the pump was making one heck of a noise. Flushed the system with new fluid (2 quarts or so) and this markedly improved things, but there iis still noise upon turning the wheel left or right. I'm wondering if the stop leak stuff clogged these filter screens. :cries:

From my understandings, putting those clog leak stuff isn't the greatest thing to put in your car. It's great for an immediate fix, but thats only if you plan on replacing the part later on. At least thats what the lexus mechanic told me... he's actually a friend of my father's friend, so he gives me the real deal on some stuff.

Find a local mechanic that you trust that would do the labor work for you. And perhaps buy the part you need from http://www.irontoad.com if you want new genuine lexus parts. If you want a used parts... perhaps http://www.taprecycling.com since they deal with only toyota and lexus cars.

To be honest, i don't think you want a used rack and pinion. Maybe they have an aftermarket piece at an Autozone or Strauss etc.

As for whether to get rid of the car, weigh on the cost. If getting the rack and pinion and it solved your problem, then you have a great strong car with hopefully no problems. But if it didn't solve the problem, then... darn... u wasted 1k. But getting another used car could also have it's list of problems too.

Perhaps if you can take it to another lexus dealer and have them inspect your car, maybe another technician might find another problem that the previous one overlooked.

Well... sorry i couldn't be of some help for ya. Good luck on it. Let me know how it goes.

Hi,

Here's the latest! I took the car for check up at two different places and they showed me that the rack is not leaking, and also showed me that the noise is coming from the PS pump. So, their diagnostics is PS pump is bad.

So I went to the dealar to talk to the sevice lady...and had an interesting conversation with the whole crew! the lady, and other 2 service guys were having lunch together.. at the lady's office. I was gonna walk around and give them some time, but the lady called me in. I told her that 2nd and 3rd opinion were PSpump. She said, 'absolutely not. 2 of my master technicians spend hours of time ....... ... .. .. ...' . One of the other two guys (i know both of them by their names, dealt with them before and they are rude ) started blastering on me. 'You took the car to where? what do they know about lexus. You want us to change the pump again? You dont trust us. If you dont trust us take the car somewhre else.'

I stayed extremely calm. and told him ' Alex, please dont talk to me like that. I went for other opinions. I have come to you before where my car was stalling. I had to come back 5 times before you could fix it. (actually 5th time i talked to Brenda, the lady.. she managed to fix it.. other 4 times this stupid alex guy and others made me do tune ups and other stuff.. where the problem was that a vacuum hose was open/lose. The reason for vacuum hose thing was that they did my timing belt and left that hose unhooked. And I started having the stalling problem right after i brought the car out of the dealars after timing belt change, and they wouldnt ever agree that it was their fault)

Anyway.. Brenda again went on and on about how much time their technicians spent time on it.. and then told me to go to another lexus dealer if I wanted a real 2nd opinion..

the next day.. last Friday.. she called early in the morning.. they had my wife's number... and told her to bring in the car. She aparently talked with her technicians after i left the previous day.. and they also talked with "lexus technical" (dont know what that is..) and Lexus Technical/technician-something suggested to flush the system with a "special kind of fluid". As my wife asked what is the name of that fluid and what it does, Brenda didnt answer her, she didnt know or something. She also said, 'We wanna try it out". Also said that it'll take 100 bucks or so.

Now guys do you know what was she talking about? Or what do they have in their sleeves? I told them about the metal screens, aparenty the technicians told Brenda that they cleaned it, or it was clean. So where do I go from here?

Thanks.. I wrote a long post.. I had to let off some of the steam... this helped :)

I told them about the metal screens, aparenty the technicians told Brenda that they cleaned it, or it was clean.  So where do I go from here?

Apparently? Find out for sure whether or not these two screens have been cleaned:

http://www.saber.net/~monarch/pscreen.JPG

http://www.saber.net/~monarch/psclean.jpg

Another very common source of fluid leakage is a worn out power steering air control valve (also known as an idle up valve)

http://www.saber.net/~monarch/removeairvalve.JPG

Those screens should be cleaned when ever you replace or reseal the pump. I would not go to that dealership again, if they did not know that the they are stupid, honestly, I dont understand some people. Tell them to clean the screens and it will stop as long as there is not any other leaks that will fix it.

• 3 weeks later...
I told them about the metal screens, aparenty the technicians told Brenda that they cleaned it, or it was clean.  So where do I go from here?

Apparently? Find out for sure whether or not these two screens have been cleaned:

http://www.saber.net/~monarch/pscreen.JPG

http://www.saber.net/~monarch/psclean.jpg

Another very common source of fluid leakage is a worn out power steering air control valve (also known as an idle up valve)

http://www.saber.net/~monarch/removeairvalve.JPG

I have been reading this posting with great interest as I am having the same problem. My local mechanic is suggesting that I would need to replace the rack also. After reading this I am not so sure. I was able to print the .jpg file for the air valve above, but the links for the ps screens are not working. Would you be able to send those to my e-mail address or re-post them? I think that I now have enough info to talk with the mechanic.

twr