Engine Sludge/gelling

nvrsatfd

Hi. I am new to the forum and to the Lexus brand. I have had Toyotas' in the past though. I have just purchased a '96 ES 300 and it started smoking when started. I had a mechanic check it out after researching online, and we confirmed it has severe sludge. He pulled the valve covers and oil pan and cleaned as much as he could and it did fine for a day or so. Now it smokes a little again but not as bad. In my research I was told if it was not knocking, it could be cleaned so that it what I had done.

I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if there was a fix without an overhaul. I will do that later but funds limit me at this time. It appears that the previous owner did not service it regularly and I purchased it at a dealership I work at, so I do not know the owners.

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks! :(

problem sounds like it is from a neglected engine

the year after yours there is an extended warrenty for 97 and up years for the same problem as they have a slightly differnt design and have higher temps for emmisions causing the problem of the oils startign to evaporate and sludge

The ES and Camry V6's have this reputation. But this is due to owner neglect as SKP has said. I've seen it two times from various owners. Once I had the luxury of speaking with the owner of the es300 that was gelled up. I asked her how often she changes the oil. She said I've never changed the oil. The car had 60,000 miles on it. :blink:

The car can be saved. But it will need a lot of care and a few prayers. I would flush a lot of cheap oil through it every 500 miles or so for 2,000 miles. Then do compression check, valve lash and clearance, complete tune-up and all that. IF everything looks good - put some 5-30 oil in there and take good care of it. If the checks are bad out, you need to determine if it will be worth keeping the car. I'd probably sell it or trade it.

Thanks alot guys. It is from neglect. I wish I could tell the previous owner a thing or two. It is a shame that someone would take care of a car that way. I have changed the oil again and am driving for a few more hundred miles. Then, it goes back to the mechanic to check it out again and check the valves, replace the timing belt and tune it up. After that and a few more oil changes, if it gets worse or no improvment, I will sell it. It already doesn't smoke as bad this time after the oil change, so I am keeping my fingers crossed. :(

did yuou do an engien flush with a add in oil chemical

that is suppsed to be flushed out?

when i do them i put cheap oil in for a week then reflush with good synthetic

one way i check an engine before buying a car is

to open the oil cap and rub my finger inside of the opening and see if it is slimy or gritty

to see what the inside might be like also the oil cap back gives a few hints also

Yes I have flushed with an additive and am now going through a couple of oil changes. I bought the car knowing it had a problem cause it was cheap. I buy some wholesale cars here from the lot and fix them and sell them. I hoped that I could fix it and drive it a while. We will see. Thanks for the input!

• 1 month later...

Hi! a '98 ES 300 owner living in Calgary AB here! Just want to add my engine sludge story.....

I purchased my car from a wholesale car dealer (don't do that again) last year for about $28,500, (fair price I thought for all the options) and noted from the warranty manual the vehicle had received its maintenance from Lexus Don Valley in Toronto. So I looked at the engine, the tail pipe (both clean) drove it around, and bought it. I assumed (wrongly) that if Lexus was servicing it since original ownership, it was a) in good shape and B) there would be no problem about their honoring the rest of the 115000 Km drivetrain warranty (it had about 67,000 km when I bought it). It had come off a lease.

5 months later the engine just died. Lexus at first would not honor their warranty, saying the engine had not been serviced regularly, but later when I showed that I had made oil changes twice in that time, they paid for EVERTHING!! towing (50 miles) cab fare, and rental of a replacement vehicle for 3 weeks. They had to replace the entire engine block, including pistons and all the moving parts, so now I have a '98 with a new engine. Total cost was about $7500. Lexus says that there was a period within the original ownership where the oil had not been changed for approx. 30,000 km.

I am impressed with Lexus/Toyota for their work and service, but I have heard subsequently that this 3 L engine has a reputation for gelling up, regardless of how often it is serviced. I heard from a mechanic in Toyota's Tennesee plant that the engine was tweaked to get more HP for use in the Sienna in '98, and now burns hotter. That's when this problem started surfacing, and Toyota has since developed a secret warranty that addresses this problem.

Comments? :rolleyes:

Just experienced smoking at startup of my 1996 es300. My private mechanic diagnosed it as leaking valve stem seals. Since I have an extended Lexus warranty brought it to the Lexus dealer. They confirmed the diagnosis and also found "gelling" in the engine. This was a maintained vehicle with service every 3000 miles.

Lexus rebuilt the engine under warranty. Would suggest that you contact Lexus since they appear to have eased up the initial oil gelling repair requirements.