Battery Dead 2nd Time In A Month

nicksan

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome slpinter

you need new battery cables

My battery went dead and it is only 1 year old. I bought it this time last year. We went to start it up and there was nothing. We jumped it and as soon as we shut it off it wouldn't start again. This happened twice. We even went for a drive to the store and of course when we shut it off it wouldn't start. Can a battery go bad that fast? I am almost ready to go out and buy one of them battery chargers so that i don't have to call anyone. :rolleyes:

Hi all,

Just an update to my battery situation.

It's been about 3 weeks or so I think, my ES starts up well.

I wasn't home for about 4 days. WE went through a heavy snow storm. I just got to start the ES up. It started up fine.

So far it's ok.

Next, I want to leave the seated heats in the On position and see if that drains anything.

It sounds like it's either hit or miss with these lexus batteries. My '98 has 115,000 miles on it and i just replaced the original factory battery about 3 months ago. With the new battery I can definitely tell the difference when starting the car. Anyways, good luck with your problems. Don't let it ruin your outlook on what's probably going to be a great car!

Hi all,

Just an update to my battery situation.

It's been about 3 weeks or so I think, my ES starts up well.

I wasn't home for about 4 days. WE went through a heavy snow storm. I just got to start the ES up. It started up fine.

So far it's ok.

Next, I want to leave the seated heats in the On position and see if that drains anything.

That's great to hear. Hopefully it stays like that.

• 1 month later...

Here we go~....

We've had several storms here in NY...haven't really driven the ES too much because of bad weather. Always sticking with the SUV.

Battery was going good...but what do you know?

Today....CLICK, CLICK, CLICK...

Crap...

I thought things were fine. Whenever I get a chance to I would let the engine run for 15 minutes...it was find pretty much like that for the past 2 - 3 months....since I've had the battery replaced twice.

This makes 3....and they can't tell me that it's the battery...there HAS TO BE something wrong somewhere.

I guess it's bitter-sweet because I felt like the ES was always a time bomb...now I'll take it to Lexus and demand a real checkup.

Here we go~....

We've had several storms here in NY...haven't really driven the ES too much because of bad weather. Always sticking with the SUV.

Battery was going good...but what do you know?

Today....CLICK, CLICK, CLICK...

Crap...

I thought things were fine. Whenever I get a chance to I would let the engine run for 15 minutes...it was find pretty much like that for the past 2 - 3 months....since I've had the battery replaced twice.

This makes 3....and they can't tell me that it's the battery...there HAS TO BE something wrong somewhere.

I guess it's bitter-sweet because I felt like the ES was always a time bomb...now I'll take it to Lexus and demand a real checkup.

:chairshot: :chairshot: :chairshot:

Aww...sorry to hear about that. That's really lame. When are you taking it back to Lexus?

Soon...but I'm starting to lose steam you know?

I'm getting sick and tired of dealing with this sh*t.

I stick to my Acura MDX...hasn't let me down yet...rain, shine, snow...2 weeks in the driveway while on vacation...no problems in the 3 years I've owned it.

ES? 5 trips to the dealer...and still counting!

Something wrong with that picture...

Ah well...I think I'll bring it in to another dealer and tell them that Massapequa could not solve the problem...

Good...will save me the hour drive there...I can cut that down to 15 minutes.

I know this is probably an isolated case...but I have to say out of all the cars I owned in my life, this takes the cake as being the worse one.

I HATE MY ES!!!

HATE IT....

I think I'm going to sell it soon and get me a cheap Civic....and call it a day, a month, a year, a lifetime...

Shame...I wanted to have that Lexus Experience...never again.

there has to be a drain on your battery somewhere.

a volt meter needs to be hooked up to your battery in serial.

then each fuse is removed to isolate which circuit is causing a drain. The current will go up when the culprit circuit fuse is removed.

steviej

Ya I can't blame you for being really really angry. Damn I would be too if I had all the problems you had. I'd definitely go to another dealer because if anything it would be a "fresh" set of eyes looking at the problem. I'm sorry your experience with your car, and Lexus for that matter has been really negative. :( Keep us posted on what happens.

• 3 weeks later...

I took the ES to the dealer this morning.

They called me back just now and told me that:

1) Battery has gone bad again....

2) Positive Battery Terminal was "worn out" so it was replaced with a new one.

They think that the worn out terminal was the problem. (???)

...actually what they said was that they think the terminal was the problem...so just to play it safe they replaced it. Alternator checked out fine...as in it was putting out good voltage.

You experts out there, could that be the cause of my problem, or are they giving me some B.S. so they have something to tell me? I know they wouldn't feel too comfortable telling me "Sir, it was another bad battery...yes a third one in a row". I would throw a fit if that were the case!

Guys, let me know if that is a legit claim...makes me wonder what the "Testing the charing system" for my second battery failure was all about...Come to think about it maybe the reason why the terminal was so worn out was because of all the times I had to jump start the freakin' thing!!!!!!!!! I really hope this is a legit fix...I really hope!

So I'm going to pick it up tomorrow..

Obviously I have to wait it out another 2 - 3 months and see if the problem is fixed.

The problem is I have this thing parked in my driveway most of the time as we tend to use the SUV more than the sedan. I do try my best to at least warm it up by starting the engine for 30 minutes...maybe 3 or 4 times a week. I drive it occasionally...I would say 1 day a week at best. So that's 3 - 4 warmups per week plus a day of driving. Is that enough to keep the battery chargerd? You guys tell me what the deal is!

I also complained about how the brakes felt very soft...it took a lot of effort braking. They inspected the brakes and saw that it had some kind of "film" over the pads so they replaced it. Whatever that means....CPO progam at work here again...NOT!

They also did a complimentary oil change...the one I never got to do because the freakin' car was always in the shop!

It's sad...but the next time it breaks down, I am consulting my lawyer.

In fact, I called Lexus of Massapequa's "Customer Satisfaction Manager" when my battery died and left a message tellng him that I will be forced to consult my lawyer should my problem not be taken care of however they choose to do so.

I got a call from the service dept. the next morning...like "Sir, I hear you have a problem with the battery again. I am very sorry about that..."

Yeah...me too...

Here's hoping for the best.

Nick

p.s. I got a 2005 RX330 as a loaner...pretty nice...not as nice as my MDX (which is in the shop for check engine light!!!! Ahhhhhh!@#$%)....but cool...too bad I have to return it tomorrow. Again, I say that's the only positive out of all this...that I get to drive these loaner cars and have some fun!

there has to be a drain on your battery somewhere.

a volt meter needs to be hooked up to your battery in serial.

then each fuse is removed to isolate which circuit is causing a drain.  The current will go up when the culprit circuit fuse is removed.

steviej

Absolutely. If there's a drain, it shouldn't be that hard to track down at least which circuit it's on.

Steviej,

That's exactly what I have been doing for the past few days. I went to NY State's website and read up on the used car lemon law. Basically it states that used cars are covered up to 90 days from purchase date.

I've had the car for 8 months now. But after reading the page carefully, I noticed that as long as the first incidence occured within the 90day period, then it is considered an ongoing problem and that even though I am 8 months past purchase date, I am still entitled to the benefits of the lemon law.

http://www.oag.state.ny.us/consumer/cars/usedqa.html

I have all the work order in hand, which should be proof enought.

The car was purchased on 7/29/04, the first battery died on 10/06/04...well within the 90 day period. Next it died on 12/2004, then 03/2005. So does that make 3 times? Also my car definitely has been in the shop more than 15 days....and all this crap definitely devalues my car. Well as for the 3 tries and you are out, I guess the last time it died a few weeks ago, that makes a 3rd time and so this is their 3rd attempt. So like you said if it fails again, then that makes 3 strikes and you are out.

But I want to get rid of the car anyways....and I think I can. It states somewhere that even if the 3rd attempt fixed the car, if I don't want to keep it, I have a case for that as well.

I printed out the online forms and am ready to fill it out.

Time to move on...

I got the car back..they relpaed the battery and gave me a new + terminal. They also replaced all 4 brake pads, balance the tires/wheels, and gave me a free oil change. They even washed the car...for the first time in 8 visits.

As for the tire/wheel balance...I complained about this 4 times already. Each time, they told me they didn't notice. Well once I yelled about calling my lawyer to that guy in customer service, they sure are servicing me...8 visits too late. Now I'll be servicing them with city arbitration, and if that doesn't do it, they will be hearing from my lawyer!

Thanks all for your help...time to get rid of this sick puppy!

I agree, if you can rid of this car that has caused you mucho aggravation right from the time of purchase, it'll make you a much happier person. I remember that you were dissatisfied right from the start. Start fresh and dump that dog! :whistles:

I was looking at the work order and it says that they replaced the battery with an Interstate battery. Is this what Lexus use? Is this what people mean when they say Lexus OEM battery?

It says:

Interstate GR24F

Also says "Faulty Terminal...replaced positive terminal".

For the brakes it says:

"Front and rear rotors and pads highly glazed. Replaced pads and resurfaced the rotors".

The brakes feel better, but they are still on the softer side...especially compared to the Lexus loaner cars and my Acura MDX.

As for the Wheels it says:

"Wheels are heavily pitted and out of balance"...

What does that mean? Heavily Pitted?

Isn't it all funny? Hey all this must have happaned in the past 3 months...and about 200 miles of driving.

It never fails to amaze me how inconsistent service is. I have complained about the vibration 4 times and they finally decided to balance the d*mn wheels.

Same thing with the brakes.

Usually all I get is "Unable to reproduce the problem"...

Amazing...

AMF,

You are right.

But upon rethinking the whole thing, I think the latest battery disaster is the 3rd time it went bad, and this marks the dealer's 3rd attempt.

So like Steviej says, I have to wait for it to fail the 4th time around.

Watch this thing will now last forever.

If it does, fine...I'll still probably end up selling the car privately.

The car's got some bad karma or whatever...I don't think I want to be a part of that. I think as long as I own this car, I'd be thinking about the battery...like "OK, it's been fine for a year now, but maybe it'll die tomorrow..." always "looking over my shoulder" type of feeling you know?

I was looking at the work order and it says that they replaced the battery with an Interstate battery. Is this what Lexus use? Is this what people mean when they say Lexus OEM battery?

Genuine OEM replacement batteries on Lexus's are NOT Interstate batteries.

Do you think that because of all the problems with the battery, they decided to put an Interstate one in?

After I get home, I'll pop open the hood and check what the battery brand is.

Interesting....

I was thinking maybe an Optima Deep Cycle battery would help me...obviously that would be addressing the symptom and not the source of the problem...but if it gets the car back to "normal" then I'm all for it...

Lexus/Toyota OEM batteries are Panasonic, I believe.

I think they treated you very nice cause they know they may be on the verge of a buy back situation. Hope for a fail. Lose the albatross.

Too bad your MDX is in the shop....but on the flip side, they ain't without need of service either.

steviej

Actually the OEM Lexus and Toyota batteries are simply Interstate batteries, but rebadged with Lexus stickers (or Toyota Trustart).  At least that's what my Lexus tech told me.

I can't speak for Toyotas that are built in the US, but as for my Lexus that was built in Japan it clearly has a Panasonic Battery that also states "made in Japan".

steviej

I still can't help wonder if your alternator is bad eventhough it tests well-it happened on my ES300, or maybe they did screw things up when they were playing with the center stack and heated seats.

• 2 weeks later...

nick,

remember my post from back on page 3?

our battery died for the 4th or 5th time, and the dealer finally added an aftermarket device on the car that auto-shuts downs all electrical components should it detect a low battery level so that at least the car will start

the car is still starting okay since last december, but i wouldn't be shocked for the battery or something else related to the battery to fail again.

our es was bought brand new in 2002, so i don't think the lemon laws apply to us. :(

we have been told by both the dealership and lexus corp that the solution they provided should be enough to satisfy us. we hate their fix. it feels like we have a car with crutches.

we have not fought this tooth and nail as we should have. too many other things going on in our lives. we hate the es, too. we will never buy another lexus again. still considering selling it prviately, but it's a real downer that we've paid for this car already, and we'll be eating the early depreciation costs on it should we sell it so early.

nick,

remember my post from back on page 3?

our battery died for the 4th or 5th time, and the dealer finally added an aftermarket device on the car that auto-shuts downs all electrical components should it detect a low battery level so that at least the car will start

the car is still starting okay since last december, but i wouldn't be shocked for the battery or something else related to the battery to fail again.

our es was bought brand new in 2002, so i don't think the lemon laws apply to us. :(

we have been told by both the dealership and lexus corp that the solution they provided should be enough to satisfy us. we hate their fix. it feels like we have a car with crutches.

we have not fought this tooth and nail as we should have. too many other things going on in our lives. we hate the es, too. we will never buy another lexus again. still considering selling it prviately, but it's a real downer that we've paid for this car already, and we'll be eating the early depreciation costs on it should we sell it so early.

That is terrible that they installed that in your car. Really silly when Lexus is always saying don't use aftermarket parts in your vehicle. I find their so called "fix" not solving the problem, but just bypassing it which is completely unacceptable. That's really lame on your dealer's part and corporate too. <_< I would sell it at first instance it acts up regarding the battery.

Have tried talking to another dealer about your problem?