Ex-90 Ls400 Owner- Considering Another Ls400

90LS400Lexus

I miss my 1990 LS400 so much, I have been thinking of looking for another. Now that I know what trouble spots to look for, I will be more aware and perhaps find a "less quirky" car. I would really like to find a 1993 or newer this time, to get the "updates" that the 1993 offers over the 1990-1992 models, but I been considering a white 1992 LS400 that is in the local paper- which aside from larger brakes, would be the same as my 1990. This LS is a little better equipped however, with the premium sound system, traction control. Not sure about the air suspension option however, but is something I will really need to check, because I know that the air struts are very expensive to replace @ $1000 each.

I am still unsure however and I am considering a large array other makes and models of cars. I am very likely to buy a Honda Accord or Toyota Camry (older than 1997), because I have had several good Accords (86s, & 91) and Camrys (87s and 93), that were very reliable, well built cars, with a soft, comfortable ride. I would not buy a 1997 or newer Accord or Camry, because quality has rapidly declined on these cars since 1997 on the Camry and 1998 on the Accord.

In addition to these, I am considering a 1993 Acura Legend LS sedan- which I like as much as my Lexus. I have also been considering a brand new car, but I do not think they are built as good as they used to be and I personally do not see the rational of paying a lot of money for an automobile.

Wish my luck in getting a good car. :)

The 92-94 LS sounds like a good idea to me. I think it looks better than 95-97 which is what I used to have, has the classic timeless shape, with those cool exposed tail pipes. I wouldn't jump in Camry or Accord because the price difference between these cars and a Lexus is not that substantial because they are used and have gone through years of depreciation. I think the Acura Legend is good choice too. Very reliable and durable cars, much better than the newer Acuras

I'm not sure why you say the quality has declined in the Toyotas or Accords. My mom bought a brnad new Accord in 1996 and kept it only a couple of years. Her's was the top of the line V6 LE with sunroof and everything. POS car, with only 10K miles I held it to the floor and it wouldn't go over 105 in several miles. The car accelerated okay up to about 75 then struggled to gain speed.

She traded it for a Camry in 199 and has been happy with that.

I should have really said that "most" of them have declined in quality.

Also, it must have hit the Accords even earlier- perhaps with the 1994 restyle and now that you mentioned it, the 96 Accords are not all that great, but better than the 98s I think. I think a lot of it depends on whether it is a USA built model, or a Japanese model. When I say quality- I really mean "materials" quality. Most of them switched to hard, cheap plastics, where the 1996 and older Camrys and 1993 and older Accords, used what appeared to be higher cost and better looking materials in the interior- with most panels being padded. My aunt bought a 1991 Honda Accord brand new in December of 1990 and never had any troubles with it- even when it was traded in 1995, but I hear owners complaining of very early transmission failures on the 98-01 Accords as well as rattles- which was not a concern on the 1993 and older models. Also- my old 1993 Camry seemed like a much better car, as does my other aunts 1993 Camry LE compared to other 97 to even 02' Camrys I have been in. I have also read complaints on the Camry site of excessive rattles on the 2002-03 Camrys- something unheard of on the 1996 and older Camrys. I also have recently been looking at a few 97-99 Camrys as work cars. I used to think they were well built and consistant, but upon closer inspections, I have noted some spotty build quality- with misaligned interior panels, cheap plastics, etc. Again, perhaps Japanese built, vs. USA built models?

Another example is Nissan. My dad has a 1988 Nissan truck that my uncle bought brand new. It now has 260K and still runs great. The only part needed replaced was the starter, brakes and exhaust system. Still has the original power steering pump, master cylinder- even the water pump is the original. It still has NO rattles. In comparision, my aunts 2001 Nissan Altima SE - also bought new is a hunk of junk. Rattles, windows coming off of the tracks, window switches falling down in the panel, leaking brake fluid, etc- at only 28K miles. 88 was built in Japan, 01 was built in USA. Another- my uncle had a 2003 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab 4WD Supercharged truck. It was $33,000. It developed a engine knock, vibrations, and even caused him to have an accident (poor brakes) before it had reached 20K miles. Again, a USA model.

The good news is that most recent years- 03-05 models have seemed to have inproved across the board.

I'm not sure why you say the quality has declined in the Toyotas or Accords.  My mom bought a brnad new Accord in 1996 and kept it only a couple of years.  Her's was the top of the line V6 LE with sunroof and everything.  POS car, with only 10K miles I held it to the floor and it wouldn't go over 105 in several miles.  The car accelerated okay up to about 75 then struggled to gain speed.

She traded it for a Camry in 199 and has been happy with that.

along with 90LS japanese cars made int he usa tend to be on the lower average of japanese quaility... even if it still better then domesitcs... but if japan doesnt reevaulate japanese cars made in america domestics will make a comeback soon... but on topic im thinking of doing something on the same lines... when my 93 dies or becomes a pain in the wallet to fix... i would like to just do a generation jump... but still wondering what what generation to jump to and what series to buy in.... any one with ideas?

Yes- that is the only negative thing I have heard about the Acura Legend. However, all of the reports on this car (including the "trouble spots" on consumer reports) mentions nothing of this potential problem. Bizarre.

I have found a 1994 Acura Legend LS at a local Acura dealership. It has 89K miles, 1-owner, like new and ALL service records since new and it has only been serviced at the local Acura dealership. I think they are quite steep on the price however. They are asking $8600. for the car. It is nice, but it is an 11 year old car. Not sure, but it may be a decent price, but I am hesitant.

Acura Legends are notorious for overheating and blown head gaskets.