Power Steering Solenoid

RFeldes

Seems like a lot of people are having power steering problems. When it got cold last year my pump started screaming until the engine warmed up. I replaced it myself and all was fine. Well, this year it got cold and it started leaking and I kept having to put fluid in every third day to stop the howling and stiffness. I have been following the threads and realized I hadn't cleaned the solenoid screen. Today I followed the advice given and pulled it and cleaned it. Then I flushed it. What!!! a difference..I've had this car going on three years and didn't know the steering was so effortless. I thought it was the old road feel stiffness German type i.e. Hard at low speed and easy at highway speed. I highly suggest as others, that this simple

procedure be done ASAP if you are having any problems. I just hope my new pump survived it and it wont have to be replaced. I'll let you know in a few days it the pump quits leaking. But what a difference.

How did you remove the solenoid to access the solenoid filter? Is the solenoid threaded on or is it a press fit that you pound off to remove and pound back on to reinstall? Everyone provides a different answer to these questions so I am massively confused and afraid to attempt the job.

It is the same as an oil filter, many fine threads and I used adjustable channel lock pliers to remove it. Lots of help here for "power steering solenoid" in the forum section, pictures and all, or else I would have taken them. When you pull out the solenoid, On the end are the filters which will be hard to detect because they may be obscured due to filth as mine were. I am not familiar with how to pull down these tutorials but, I am sure someone will as they are a fine group of guys.

Hey VGR,

Very simply, remove the wires by pressing on the lock and pulling the cable out. Then twist the main cable and pull it out of the socket. My 1990 had this and it wasn't in the tutorials. But give it a 90 degree twist and pull it out. Scribe the position of the solenoid and body attachment. Take a pair of Channel Lock pliers and pull down on the solenoid and it should loosen. Pull down and pull down at least twenty times <_< until the solenoid comes out. A mess will happen and fluid will come out. About a half a quart, Catch it for mother earth. Take the solenoid to your workbench and clean the little screens around the end with a toothbrush and brake cleaning fluid, sparingly mind you, as it is a foreign agent. Replace the solenoid and wires. Put fresh fluid in the reservoir or flush as recommended. Hope this helps, And some guys will jump in and discuss the flush, which is very important

Thanks for trying to explain. But you are doing the same thing the others hand done:

1. First, you say the solenoid screws on and off like and oil filter and then you turn around and say:

2. "Take a pair of Channel Lock pliers and pull down on the solenoid and it should loosen. Pull down and pull down at least twenty times until the solenoid comes out"

I'm afraid I lack the mental capacity to understand how a threaded component can be pulled off without stripping and ruining the threads

Thanks for trying to explain.  But you are doing the same thing the others hand done:

1. First, you say the solenoid screws on and off like and oil filter and then you turn around and say:

2. "Take a pair of Channel Lock pliers and pull down on the solenoid and it should loosen. Pull down and pull down at least twenty times  until the solenoid comes out"

I'm afraid I lack the mental capacity to understand how a threaded component can be pulled off without stripping and ruining the threads

If you're in doubt then take it to a shop.

Thanks for trying to explain.  But you are doing the same thing the others hand done:

2. "Take a pair of Channel Lock pliers and pull down on the solenoid and it should loosen. Pull down and pull down at least twenty times  until the solenoid comes out"

I believe by "pulling down" he means pulling down the channel locks, thereby turing the solenoid body, and thus unscrewing it. Can you understand that inference?

I believe by "pulling down" he means pulling down the channel locks, thereby turing the solenoid body, and thus unscrewing it.  Can you understand that inference?

No. I cannot envision pulling down on the channel locks to try and unscrew an oil filter anymore than I can envision trying to unscrew an oil filter using a chisel.

Lets face it - this solenoid thing is so complicated that Lexls hasn't attempted it and that's why he has no tutorial covering the procedure. Here's my offer to Lexls - if you provide a tutorial I will donate $50.00 to your website fund.

From top to bottom:

1.That is the tab

2.That piece does pull out..and the big one has to be pullled out afterwards with a twist and a pull.

3.Channel locks in the middle

4.Rotate CCW .. the confusion lies in that the solenoid is "horizontal" to the undercarriage so CCW is "Down" The picture shows it vertical as the camera is turned.