Engine Immobiliser System

kgull

My 17 year-old daughter tried to use the wrong lexus key to start my rx and consequently my car will not allow even the correct key to turn from its locked state (the steering wheel is locked, the key won't turn -- stays locked, but the key less remote for the door locks work).

Anyone know what I need to do to get my car to recognize its key? (I even removed the car's battery to see if the disengaging and the reconnecting of the car's entire system would allow for the key to be rcognized -- but to no avail.)

Kevin

If your key won't turn, that's not the security system.

It sounds like your steering column is putting pressure on the locking cylinder. Try this:

While trying to turn your key, wiggle your steering wheel back and forth. You may find that it is difficult to move. You may have to turn it with a lot of pressure. You will know when you have hit the locking mechanism because it will feel like a hard stop. You will probably only be able to turn it one way (to release the pressure).

Hopefully that will help.

Tom