Oil For High Milage

94lex83457

I think it's too hi milage to start synthetic too, you'll start having oil leaks, thats my experence with several other cars. 5-30 is normal but with that hi milage try 10-30 for 1 change cycle & see what you think, I've had best luck with Castrol in Japanese cars, there's as many opinions on brands as there are people, but I would be very choosie about the filter. Do a search on oil filters & make your choice from that.

Synthetic actually provides a lot better protection for high mileage cars. The only reason it would leak is if you had questionable oil seals that are held together by sludge. Make your choice, and if it does induce leaks that just means you will have to replace oil seals. Valvoline Maxlife makes a synthetic for high mileage engines, which is supposed to preserve and condition seals. If you don't do synthetic then castrol/valvoline/mobil 0 are ok. Quaker State isn't even all that bad and i get it for $6.67 for 5 quarts.

If your engine is consuming about 1 quart of oil per 1250 - 3000 miles then it is still not worn too badly and therefore does not need a thicker oil to help control oil consumption or to help cushion worn valvetrain parts. Toyota engines are famous for lasting over 500,000 miles or more on conventional oil so there is no compelling practical reason to use synthetic except maybe in subzero winter climates where it offers slightly easier starting.

What about the rave of Royal Purple Synthetic Oil? Must be some magic potion because on the back of each bottle it says:

1. "...proven to increase horsepower and torque"

2. "keeps engines clean"

Is this just snake oil or is it really a high quality oil? Is it good for our SC300s or is this overkill?

What about the rave of Royal Purple Synthetic Oil? Must be some magic potion because on the back of each bottle it says:

1. "...proven to increase horsepower and torque"

2. "keeps engines clean"

Is this just snake oil or is it really a high quality oil? Is it good for our SC300s or is this overkill?

Royal Purple is great. I would recommend Red Line if you want the ultimate best however, since I have used it for a long time. It can withstand extreme temperatures on both ends while maintaining it's viscosity. And I would feel comfortable leaving it in for 10,000 miles especially since it's $8/quart. The 2JZ/1UZ can run extremely hot, which warrants a demand for an oil like this if you drive it hard. I took my Supercharged MR2 to 180k and still kicking using Redline 10w30 in the motor and redline p/s fluid in the blower. And i drive the living pee out of it.