Shaking When I Brake... What Can It Be?

rich21

i have a 94 sc400. since i got the car i've been changing my own brake pads. i've had the car for three years now. after the third time of me changing my pads, i started to feel shaking when i brake mostly on the highway. now when i brake, whats starts shaking is the steering wheel and the shifter. i figured the rotors are warped so i put new ones cause i couldn't cut the original ones. also i got new pads.(ebc green stuff) so, i replaced the two front rotors and pads. i took it out on a test drive and still the same shaking. can it be that i tightened them up unevenly so thats the reason. i help my fellow sc owners. :cries:

you have an auto or manual trans? If the shifter is shaking then it may be good to check the trans mounts. Also Green Stuff will wear out FAST. They feel good, but dont last, especially on daily driving. You may want to try Red Stuff or just regular toyota pads

Make sure you have tightened up the lug bolts evenly, then does the brake pedal pulsate/shake when you apply the brakes ? Did you leave one if the calipers loose? If not your rotors need trued up ( machined/turned.)

post-3445-1104070148_thumb.jpg

i have a 94 sc400. since i got the car i've been changing my own brake pads. i've had the car for three years now. after the third time of me changing my pads, i started to feel shaking when i brake mostly on the highway. now when i brake, whats starts shaking is the steering wheel and the shifter. i figured the rotors are warped so i put new ones cause i couldn't cut the original ones. also i got new pads.(ebc green stuff)  so, i replaced the two front rotors and pads. i took it out on a test drive and still the same shaking. can it be that i tightened them up unevenly so thats the reason. i help my fellow sc owners.:cries:

I had this same problem with my 92 SC300 and after spending almost close to $500 on different stuff I finaly figured out what the problem was it was the Lower Control arm Bushing. I ordered them from Daizen and costed me $70 to replace all bushings on lower and upper control arms and my car is been perfect since.

• 2 weeks later...

Replace your rotors with some brembos, I work on lexus for a living and if you get the cheap rotors they come warped and need to be cut. We see this all the time, sorry about bringing a dead thread back, but just in case you still have the problem, nothing else will cause pulasation while braking except warped rotors!

sczccrx, are you referring to the standard size brembo x drilled? or the gran turismos? wondering because i just purchased the brembo standard x drilled (all four with goodridge lines and hawk pads) and im hoping these are gonna be sufficient enough for the heavy sc. im used to tuning my type r and they were great on that. thanks for answering sc rookie question. --jason

sczccrx, are you referring to the standard size brembo x drilled? or the gran turismos?  wondering because i just purchased the brembo standard x drilled (all four with goodridge lines and hawk pads) and im hoping these are gonna be sufficient enough for the heavy sc. im used to tuning my type r and they were great on that. thanks for answering sc rookie question. --jason

I am refering to the standard brembos, the "brembo blanks" but all brembo products are nice and hold up to their reputation that is why we use them at ozzi's. Though I dont think cross drilled can be turned, but dont hold me to that.