P/s Pump Fiasco

So I buy a 95 SC4 with 89k on it, for a good price. AFTER all of the paperwork is signed, I'm picking the car up from detailing, and the previous owner (who was also the finance manager at the dealership) tells me that the power steering pump is leaking, and he'll get it fixed for free (At Nissan). They fix it, and it starts leaking again. I call the dealership, and they advise me that I should just take it to Lexus, which will be covered by my extended warranty that I purchased. Ha! First off, the warranty company tells Lexus my warranty is invalid, since the car is over 8 years old. After some sweet talking, they tell me they will repair it, BUT they will only pay for the p/s pump. After I read their own contract to them, they realize the reservoir is covered too, which apparently was bad also, along with a $500 hose. Lexus wanted 2500 to replace the pump, reservoir, and a couple of hoses, but the warranty company would only cover 600 bucks of that...what a load of bs. Long story short, don't ever buy a QualityGuard plus extended warranty! If I wasn't leaving for Afghanistan soon, I would be kicking some !Removed! at the dealership where I bought the car (Courtesy Nissan Tampa)!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
So I buy a 95 SC4 with 89k on it, for a good price.  AFTER all of the paperwork is signed, I'm picking the car up from detailing, and the previous owner (who was also the finance manager at the dealership) tells me that the power steering pump is leaking, and he'll get it fixed for free (At Nissan).  They fix it, and it starts leaking again.  I call the dealership, and they advise me that I should just take it to Lexus, which will be covered by my extended warranty that I purchased.  Ha! First off, the warranty company tells Lexus my warranty is invalid, since the car is over 8 years old.  After some sweet talking, they tell me they will repair it, BUT they will only pay for the p/s pump.  After I read their own contract to them, they realize the reservoir is covered too, which apparently was bad also, along with a $500 hose.  Lexus wanted 2500 to replace the pump, reservoir, and a couple of hoses, but the warranty company would only cover 600 bucks of that...what a load of bs.  Long story short, don't ever buy a QualityGuard plus extended warranty!  If I wasn't leaving for Afghanistan soon, I would be kicking some !Removed! at the dealership where I bought the car (Courtesy Nissan Tampa)!

Did this on my 95 SC400 before it was wrecked. Aftermarket cost was $130 after core and $125 for labor. If you do your oil changes someplace that doesn't know Lexus make sure they top it off with the correct fluid. What I found is that many times they put in power steering fluid instead of ATF which causes it to leak due to different viscocity.

So I buy a 95 SC4 with 89k on it, for a good price.  AFTER all of the paperwork is signed, I'm picking the car up from detailing, and the previous owner (who was also the finance manager at the dealership) tells me that the power steering pump is leaking, and he'll get it fixed for free (At Nissan).  They fix it, and it starts leaking again.  I call the dealership, and they advise me that I should just take it to Lexus, which will be covered by my extended warranty that I purchased.  Ha! First off, the warranty company tells Lexus my warranty is invalid, since the car is over 8 years old.  After some sweet talking, they tell me they will repair it, BUT they will only pay for the p/s pump.  After I read their own contract to them, they realize the reservoir is covered too, which apparently was bad also, along with a $500 hose.  Lexus wanted 2500 to replace the pump, reservoir, and a couple of hoses, but the warranty company would only cover 600 bucks of that...what a load of bs.  Long story short, don't ever buy a QualityGuard plus extended warranty!  If I wasn't leaving for Afghanistan soon, I would be kicking some !Removed! at the dealership where I bought the car (Courtesy Nissan Tampa)!

Did this on my 95 SC400 before it was wrecked. Aftermarket cost was $130 after core and $125 for labor. If you do your oil changes someplace that doesn't know Lexus make sure they top it off with the correct fluid. What I found is that many times they put in power steering fluid instead of ATF which causes it to leak due to different viscocity.

use only the factory parts in the long run it will be better. and take everything apart slowly and if you have to draw pics. to remind your self where everything goes, its not that hard take you time and look at everything it should not take you more then one day, takes me one hours at the most to change out the pump and hoses. remember the factory part will be better in the long run. I stand by that.

and use aft with dextron.

Kino