Sylvania Silverstar Lifespan

GlennR

FWIW, I have had to replace the low beam H1ST's with less than 6 months of usage on them. Both bulbs failed within 1 week of the other. I have replaced them with the same model, but overall I'm pretty dissatisfied with them. Any suggestions?

FWIW, I have had to replace the low beam H1ST's with less than 6 months of usage on them.  Both bulbs failed within 1 week of the other.  I have replaced them with the same model, but overall I'm pretty dissatisfied with them.  Any suggestions?

I've used SilverStars on a couple of cars and have never had any problems with them. My current set in my 04 ES has been in for over a year. They are my daytime running lights so they are on all the time.

Make sure to not touch the bulb with your bare hand. The oil from your fingers will shorten the lifespan of the bulb.

I had one go on me a little bit back

i went to a local store aid i bought it 3 weeks ago with no receipt or box and they gave me a new one

now that is perfect customer service

i hear both ends i have had a few sets and like them but i prefer my HID;s for a pretty much life system ,so their is less replacment costs

• 3 weeks later...

FWIW, I did not touch the bulb - am very aware of finger oils shortening bulb life. And did get a free replacement at the local O'Reilly Auto Parts w/o a receipt or box. Just wish I could get something brighter for low beams.

hard to get brighter as halogens are at the fringe end of their technology expansion which is why HID's came along

for $300 you can get a great new or used system to eb plug and play for 10 minute install and lexus reliability

i now use oem systems only in both of my cars

SKperformance,

Do you buy your HID system from EBay or some other sources. I may get one in the future. Currently, I have the Silverstar bulbs.

Thi

hard to get brighter as halogens are at the fringe end of their technology expansion which is why HID's came along

for $300 you can get a great new or used system to eb plug and play for 10 minute install and lexus reliability

i now use oem systems only in both of my cars

Glenn,

So far, I don't have any problem with Silverstar bulbs in my cars. You must got a bad batch or something. Check for moisture in the light housing.

Thi

FWIW, I have had to replace the low beam H1ST's with less than 6 months of usage on them.  Both bulbs failed within 1 week of the other.  I have replaced them with the same model, but overall I'm pretty dissatisfied with them.  Any suggestions?

i got a pair of 8500k 55watt xenon's on ebay for like $20. i know the real ones are 'round 500ish but these are just as good in my opinion. not AS bright but the right color and illuminate the road very well. I put my stock HID/xenon rx300 next to my camry with the ones on ebay. Couldn't notice the difference

I also get low lifespan from Silverstars.

I run them in my '97 SC300 and get no more than 9 months or so before they go out.

I do, however, drive a lot in the dark. I at minimum drive TO work in the dark everyday. I have about a 70 minute drive. In the wintertime I am driving home in the dark as well.

Tom

• 3 weeks later...

Go and look at danielsternlighting.com and have a look through at all the different types of bulbs and read what this expert has to say. I have purchased a set of OEM wattage HIR (halogen infrared) bulbs which represent a significant advance in the technology. I also upgraded the harness which is the first thing to do. There are 2 brands of HIR bulb. Do not buy the IPF as they are inferior design. Phillips is available through the link above if you just email him and they are very reasonable at somewhat less than a hundred bucks. If I am not mistaken these bulbs were stock in Vipers and other high end cars pre HID. The output of the lowbeams is 88% higher than a standard bulb and the highbeams are 60% brighter. Life expectancy is at least the same as OEM.

Well, I spoke too soon. Both of the light bulbs in my 450 went out the other day. I just got a pair of Xenon from Walmart. They are pretty good but does not seem as bright in color compare to SilverStar bulb.

Thi