Complaints/problems With Es330

L3-ES

I have read about the following complaints regarding the ES330...can anyone attest to these?

1) "clunking noise" when reversing the direction of the steering wheel

2) problems with the 5-speed transmission - downshift delay, hesitation when you press on the accelerator, transmission shifts erratically, transmission does not respond when put into passing gear, slushy 1st gear, etc.

3) car does not respond to the gas pedal - takes long time for car to accelerate after you press the gas pedel and it's unpredictable

4) driver seat is uncomfortable

5) car does not corner well

6) poor gas mileage

7) instrument panel gauges not as "snazzy" as those of Camry

Any others common ones which you've experienced that I should be aware of?

After hearing about these issues, I'm wondering if it's better to just go with the Camry instead, for a lot less money and potential hassle. I always thought that the ES330 was a great car, so I was surprised to hear these things. Any advice???

1don't know of any clunking noise

2the tranny is well known depending on your driving style

3 same as above

4depends on how you sit for it to not be uncomfortable ,try a G35 their owners are screaming lawsuit for poor design

5 not a sports car in any clothing,you wouldn't expect to corner well in a hummer would you? not part of its design

6 gas milage is an oddity

7all point of veiws

With regards to the clunking sound or popping sound, the cause is that the secondary shaft on the steering is making noise. Lexus actually issued a no charge replacement of the part. Steve (SW03ES) and other members have had that replacement, and to my knowledge it has solved the problem. As for fuel economy, if you are deciding if the Camry SE V6 or ES330 is better for fuel economy, there is no difference because they use the exact same engine. Even then the ES330 has a better fuel economy rating versus the Camry (the Camry 3.3 V6 is 20city/29highway, whereas the ES330 is 21city/29highway). Oh ya if you were considering the Camry XLE V6, it uses the 3.0 V6 not the 3.3 V6 (it's figures are actually a tad worse than the 3.3 with 20city/28highway). As for the transmission/gas pedal it's because of the drive by wire system. Whether or not you think it hesitates or doesn't drive smooth is based on your driving style. People on this forum either have problems with it or don't. It really is on your style of driving. As for the cornering, like SK said, it's not a sports car, it's designed to be a luxury sedan. The seat really depends on your size and your personal preferences, as well as the dash. I find the ES330 seats to be nice and cushy (I was riding in one today actually), but that's my opinion. Good luck in your decision.

If you're looking at an 05 330 the steering clunk is a non-issue. Lexus has an updated part for this and it is already installed on the 05.

As for the transmission, its not the smoothest transmission out there no but it is plenty smooth, the acceleration delay is a fraction of a second and depending on your driving style you may not even feel it. This is a possibility on all cars with electronic throttles.

As for the seat, I have a lower back problem and I find the drivers seat very comfortable. Thats just a matter of opinion, drive an ES extensively before you buy as you should any car to make sure it fits you.

Cornering well, the ES is no sports car and its FWD. It does corner competently though but its not a car designed to be driven hard. I'm a fairly aggressive driver and I've been happy with it.

Poor gas mileage, its not great I get between 20-25. But thats pretty par for the course in luxury cars, and at least the ES will run on regular gas.

As for the guages, like SK said thats a matter of opinion. I think the ES' gauges are MUCH snazzier than the Camrys. The ES has Lexus' constantly lit optitron gauges and the Camry has plain ordinary plastic ones. Keep in mind that they don't design Lexus vehicles to be "snazzy" they design them to be elegant.

I'm 100% satisfied with mine and I love it more every mile I drive it. Its gotten more comfortable and smoother as its aged.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought my 2005 ES 330 in November. My thoughts on your concerns are:

1) "clunking noise" - I have not heard a clunking noise - not even once.

2) problems with the 5-speed transmission - downshift delay - I would not have

known this was an issue if I had not read about it on this forum

3) car does not respond to the gas pedal - same response as above

4) driver seat is uncomfortable - I'm 6'2" 220 LBS and have no problem with comfort

5) car does not corner well - I must drive too slow for this to be an issue

6) poor gas mileage - it's better than the 4 cyl 93 Camry I upgraded from

7) instrument panel gauges not as "snazzy" as those of Camry - baloney (just MHO)

Roy

1don't know of any clunking noise

2the tranny is well known depending on your driving style

3 same as above

4depends on how you sit for it to not be uncomfortable ,try a G35 their owners are screaming lawsuit for poor design

5 not a sports car in any clothing,you wouldn't expect to corner well in a hummer would you? not part of its design

6 gas milage is an oddity

7all point of veiws

Agreed & well said sk! B)

:cheers:

I have read about the following complaints regarding the ES330...can anyone attest to these?

1) "clunking noise" when reversing the direction of the steering wheel

2) problems with the 5-speed transmission - downshift delay, hesitation when you press on the accelerator, transmission shifts erratically, transmission does not respond when put into passing gear, slushy 1st gear, etc.

3) car does not respond to the gas pedal - takes long time for car to accelerate after you press the gas pedel and it's unpredictable

4) driver seat is uncomfortable

5) car does not corner well

6) poor gas mileage

7) instrument panel gauges not as "snazzy" as those of Camry

Any others common ones which you've experienced that I should be aware of?

After hearing about these issues, I'm wondering if it's better to just go with the Camry instead, for a lot less money and potential hassle.  I always thought that the ES330 was a great car, so I was surprised to hear these things.  Any advice???

I have had my ES 330 since May (2004) and to date and never had any problems like these mentioned. My gas mileage is 22 city/local and on recent 500 mile trip to NC on I-66 and 81 I averaged 29mpg.

Comfort during this 6hr trip was fabulous for driver and passenger. Excellent support etc. I did find my driving comfort was improved when I adjusted the steering wheel to match my seat height.

This is the quietest car I have ever owned. The auto wipers are heavenly; in fact every option has worked beyond expectations.

My only design complaint is that my right arm is constantly bumping into a cup resting in cup holder. I Can't use anything taller than a regular cup. Several times my jacket sleeves have caught onto the lids of containers and ripped them off.

Hope this answers your questions.