Es330 Vs. Camry V6

L3-ES

Hi All:

I'm new to this forum and would like to get some advice and input from the seasoned ES330 owners out there.

Is the ES330 a better car to get than a Camry V6 (XLE or SE) with similar equipment, factoring in price, quality, and overall value? I keep hearing comments that the ES330 is just "a nicer Camry" but overpriced, so I'm wondering if the Lexus is really worth the extra markup.

I'd like to hear your arguments for/against the ES330 vs. Camry. Thanks!

We have a V6 Camry and I had a nearly new loaner ES330 a few months ago when my LS was in the shop. If I closed my eyes (I don't usually do this while driving) the ES was remarkably similar to our Camry. They seem to handle and accellerate about the same and the noise level seemed the same. I actually expected the ES to be a bit quieter.

But the ES has a far nicer interior than any Camry you can buy. And you can get neat options on the ES that are not available on the Camry. Or least I assume that memory seats are not available yet on Camry's. (Love those memory seats!)

Both our great cars but I think my wife would prefer an ES330 instead of her Camry.

Also keep in mind that they sell ES' with horrible tires usually, mine got much quieter once I upgraded to better rubber.

The only thing you can do is drive them both back to back. I felt like you did, that I could save some bucks with the Camry. Like Jim said the interiors are a whole different world between the two, and *i* felt that the ES was quieter.

In all honesty there's not really that much of a price difference and with the ES you get 2 more years of warranty, a much nicer interior, a more appealing exterior, a better ride and more sound isolation. After driving the two for me it was a no brainer.

A good way for you to see, feel and hear the differences is to examine both vehicles closely at an auto show. Close the front and rear doors of both cars. Notice how the ES330 has quieter doors. That's because the ES330 has a sound absorber inside the doors and because there are supplementary door seals on the ES330 that are lacking on the Camry. Lots of little refinements like that on the ES330.

If you live in a big city, Camry's are steeply discounted, Lexus's subtantially less so. So that tips the balance in favor of the Camry. But then the Lexus has substantially better resale value.

I personally love the 4 cylinder Camry. It feels remarklably peppy and responsive yet is quiet and refined and gets 34 MPG at 70 MPH with the new 5-speed automatic.

The Camry LE model looks and feels spartan compared to an ES330, but in big cities you could purchase a 4 cylinder Camry LE for $16,000 whereas a stripper ES330 (without navigation) would run $30,000. The Camry V6 XLE with leather is priced midway between these two extremes in a big city.

I drove a 2003 Camry V6 before (my uncles) and my mom's ES330 and I personally like the ES330. I found that the ES330 is quieter than the Camry and it is smoother also. The Adaptive Variable Suspension and the HID headlights on the ES are my favorite as oppose to the Camry, both of those are not available.

Since you are the one who's buying the car, I think you should do a research yourself. Perhaps go to the Lexus website, click on ES330 and do a comparasion of the Toyota Camry and see for your self. In my opinion, just pay a little bit more money and go for the ES330. (What you get is what you paid for). Even though the Camry and ES is somewhat similar, the ES is more elegant compared to the Camry. Lexus makes vehicles are more Luxury and elegant than toyota vehicles. This is all my opionion, go with whichever car you feel comfortable with and test drive both car and your instinct will tell you which car.

P.S. Get a Lexus and become one of us. :D

Have you driven both a Camry & a 330 L3? :unsure: To get a better performance comparo.....go with the Camry SE V6 with the 3.3L V6 as opposed to the XLE that only has the 3.0L V6........they (as you know) are built off the same general platform & have the basic same mechanicals (engine & tranny). If you have a much closer inspection thats where things start to drift more apart as the ES will be a much quieter car, with better overall quality materials used (& the Camry is excellent with the materials to start with). My 01 ES uses about 25% Camry 'underpinnings' & the rest is all Lexus & I did drive both so it was justified to get the ES as the ride was much better, more comfortable....more horsepower & torque (although I think the 05 Camry & ES are the same), better warranty & just an overall nicer 'animal' if you will. Drive BOTH for a decent test drive on both city & highway roads......you will see. Good Luck!

:cheers:

For luxury, low outside noise, expensive feel go with the ES 330. In my honest opinion, with no offense to ES 330 owners, I would go with the Camry SE V6 for looks. Same powerful engine from both cars. But the SE has a more aggressive look(still maintaining family sedan look). The ES 330's side window line reminds me of the Ford Taurus design they started in 1996. Both the new Camry and ES have a kind of "top heavy" look but I think more so in the ES. The problem can be fixed with 18" rims and a lower suspension, and a spoiler would look good too for both cars. The interior is where the ES is nicer. better leather and overall quality inside, quieter and has wood trim. The SE has a brushed aluminum trim inside. Its sportier looking, but nice too. I would debadge the toyota "T" symbol outside the car, though because it is ugly looking. Maybe put a TRD emblem instead. Toyoya should change that ugly symbol. This is all my opinion of course. How old are you? If you are under 30 and single go with the 3.3 liter V6 Toyota Camry SE in black white or silver. Otherwise, the sophisticated 3.3 liter V6 ES 330 is for you in anything but dark colors with the new 05 lights etc. But, if getting an 04 ES get a dark color like maroon or black.

Hope my opinions may help you in either case to make the cool decision. B)

Why do the new lights make a difference in what color to get? They're not all that different...

Like you said, its all opinion but I think the ES is one of the best looking sedans on the road...

Why do the new lights make a difference in what color to get? They're not all that different...

Like you said, its all opinion but I think the ES is one of the best looking sedans on the road...

No arguement there! :D B)

:cheers:

Mostly just the tail lights. With the 02-04 model it looks better in black and maroon. I have seen them in silver also and darker is better. But with the new 05 tail lights I saw one in silver and I was like dam I like the new tail lights. Kinda BMWish from the profile. And I saw one also in black shortly after and it just did not look right. The rear end of the 05 looks like a different car to me than the 04 and different cars look better in different colors. I pay good attention to detail. But, it is still an opinion-not a fact.

Peace.

Yup the ES body style looks very elegant looking. I like the new headlights because they look more aggressive and the new taillights look even nicer. The wheels look a tad bit more aggressive, but overall are "okay" looking. Dark colors look nice on the ES, and I have to admit the "Black Garnet Pearl" looks really really good on it. One of the first colors that stood out to me when I first saw it for the first time. I am always partial to black though, it's kind of like always having your car in a "tux" look. Oh ya I noticed that Lexus got rid of the two tone look on their vehicles.