60k Tune-up Cost...

jocigar

what're you tuning up?  LX 450?  LX 470?

Check with your local Toyota dealership and ask what they charge for a tune-up on the same model year Land Cruiser.  Betcha it's almost half the $1300 Lexus wants.

i don't think lx450 or lx470 matters because my dealer bases all my Gx services on the price of the lx services. and that is totally corect about consulting a Toyota dealership. price is guaranteed 50% less (so far)

It does matter because the 450 and the 470 have different engines and therefore different types of service requirements.

Another difference is that the 450 has a solid axle and the 470 has IFS which require different types of service at different intervals.

Your GX and the current LX have the same engine and same type of front suspension which is why they use the same information.

not sure if this applies to were you live but if there is a lexus dealerships near by the toyota dealership will not work on your lexus now the price is because of lexus its less then half at toyota for the land cruiser 60k now i have heard of people getting into trouble because service places using incorrect fluids etc and causing breakdowns (hydr susp) get a list from the dealership for the 60k service it is pretty detailed not just fluid change but you are paying for the lexus service

It does matter because the 450 and the 470 have different engines and therefore different types of service requirements.

Another difference is that the 450 has a solid axle and the 470 has IFS which require different types of service at different intervals.

Your GX and the current LX have the same engine and same type of front suspension which is why they use the same information.

well my dealer has the pricing like this Lx450/Lx470 $......

so when it comes to pricing, i think it's about the same.

In the Charlotte, NC area, the 60k Lexus LX450 service runs about $950 at the Lexus Dealership and the Toyota dealership near my residence runs about $500, so yeah, about half. I have the itemized list of services performed and they are almost identical except Lexus lubes the sunroof rails, car wash/vacuum, and a few other minor things. Since Lexus is Toyota, in essence, and the LX450/470 is a Toyota Landcruiser for the most part, other than some labels, emblems, and upgraded cosmetic material, I can't imagine that there would be any difference in fluids used (as suggested above). I know Lexus has various mechanical fluids re-labeled with the Lexus name to market premium prices, but I believe it really just comes down to the quality control of the technicians performing the work and the service department's reputation, or at least their dedication to customer service.

I have only heard of Toyota not performing services when it is a matter of scheduled maintenance where the vehicle is still under warranty.

I would suggest a Factory Service Manual if you have an enthusiasm about your 'truck' as most on this forum do. Once the warranty expires, the book will pay for itself (and then some) the first time you opt for doing some sort of preventive/periodic maintenance yourself... or at least you would have a troubleshooting reference when needed.

Thanks everyone, just getting around to checking back in on this.

I have a 2000- LX470, for the record.

I am considering Toyota and wonder if anyone has directly gone that route versus Lexus.

Do you think I should try to negotiate a better price from lexus service?

I am considering Toyota and wonder if anyone has directly gone that route versus Lexus.

Lexus has an agreement with Toyota relative to maintenance. If your local Toyota dealer will work on your Lexus they are required to charge you Lexus labor and parts rates. I got that from both the local Lexus and Toyota dealers.

Lexus has an agreement with Toyota relative to maintenance. If your local Toyota dealer will work on your Lexus they are required to charge you Lexus labor and parts rates. I got that from both the local Lexus and Toyota dealers.

strange, the local Toyota dealer here has two separate price boards, one for the Toyotas (of course, duh! <_< ) and one that says "for Lexus vehicles only" and they are DEFINITELY about half the price! ;)

The timing belt is replaced at 90k on most cars I think.

Got a quote from Toyota, 1/3 the price of Lexus. They said that they ofter service Lexus vehicles.

I told them to make a special note about the hieght susp. and the fluid they use. He said that they use same fluids and most are private labeled "Lexus".

One big question, does this effect my warranty? I only have the drivetrain warranty left.

(legal disclaimer...you should check with Lexus USA to be absolutely sure...but...) your warranty will not be affected at all. Toyota = Lexus as far as warranty work is concerned. When I first purchased my LX 450, the service dept manager and I discussed installing a TRD supercharger on my 450. Since his techs didn't have experience working on TRD superchargers, he suggested that I get the work done at a Toyota dealership. He said that as long as it was done by either Lexus or Toyota, the warranty would not be affected.