Strut And Funny Noises

Jeffchs32

Ive got a question about the struts on the lexus rx300. My front left strut has been making some funny noises....it pops and some other wierd noises. Not just every now and then, quite often when im turning and everything. Is this normal or does anyone have any ideas about what could be wrong. Thanks

Your strut upper mount is going bad. The rubber bushing inside the metal housing is breaking down and causing the noises. The part cost $83 at the local parts house (Napa) and comes with a new bearing plate. You need a spring compressor to replace the mount on the strut. By the way I change the strut, but do not feel it is bad.

Your strut upper mount is going bad.  The rubber bushing inside the metal housing is breaking down and causing the noises.  The part cost $83 at the local parts house (Napa) and comes with a new bearing plate.  You need a spring compressor to replace the mount on the strut.  By the way I change the strut, but do not feel it is bad.

Thanks...when i bought the car, i also purchased an extended warranty for 4 years...so i will prob take it back to the garage and have it done under warranty. THank you tho for your help.

well I changed the left strut and mount this morning, 1.5 hours. could have been faster but I fought the keyway in the strut to mount bushing. Yeh. all noises gone.

Since I have done both now You have to be very observant of the rubber coushins in the strut tower that seperate the spring from the strut. They wear. Also the alignment of the strut mount to the shock is very critical as there is a keyway that must align with the two mating surfaces. Very easy to do the second time around. The top strut nut is torgued to 56 ftlbs, the mount to 36ftlbs and the strut mounting bolts to 156 ftlbs.

Based on the number of RX owners who've reported strut mount problems on this site over the past four or five months, I've been waiting for my wife's 2000 model to begin popping and creaking while being driven slowly on rough road surfaces or over speed bumps. When the cold weather arrived in earnest here in central North Carolina a couple of weeks ago, she began hearing the same sounds that many of you have reported experiencing.

I contacted our local Lexus service manager with the appropriate Lexus Technical Service Bulletin in hand, discussed it with her, kindly asked for the repair at no charge due to the TSB, and she once again agreed to handle our problem under the Lexus goodwill warranty. So when my wife returns from Florida next week, both of her vehicle's inferior front rubber bushings will be replaced with the redesigned ones at our convenience. By the time her vehicle goes into the shop, it will have approximately 79,000 miles on the odometer.

For those of you with 1999 and 2000 model RX300s, note that the Technical Service Bulletin which addresses this problem is SU002-99. It essentially states that the original rubber bushings at the top of your strut mounts were not shaped properly and therefore are prone to breaking down and wearing out, causing your front suspension to groan and creak on rough roads or at slow speeds. The redesigned rubber bushings will rectify this problem as well as start you off with new rubber in your strut mounts again. I suggest that you do your homework on the TSB, contact your local service manager, and state both professionally and courteously that you expect the TSB to be applied to your vehicle at no charge to you. Once again, this approach has worked for me. Good luck to all.

• 2 weeks later...

The redesigned (and supposedly improved) front strut mount rubber bushings were installed on both sides of my wife's 2000 RX300 yesterday per the TSB previously mentioned in this thread, and her vehicle is noticeably quieter now. The true test will come when winter returns to our area and the rubber has to respond to 15 or 20-degree temperatures (it's been in the 60s and 70s for most of the past week).

For those of you whose vehicles pop and creak while driving on rough roads or over speed bumps (particularly during cold weather), having this procedure performed is your best initial remedy. Just ensure that you employ the TSB to get it done at no cost by your Lexus service department.

But no info on flat-out KNOCKS. Everything underneath looks fine. Myself, and a local mechanic checked it out. Strut mounts were replaced, no difference. It never "creaked", just knocked and popped, kinda. NO ONE has been able to help me on this, and I really don't wanna pay the trolls at the dealer to diagnosis the problem!

Based on the number of RX owners who've reported strut mount problems on this site over the past four or five months, I've been waiting for my wife's 2000 model to begin popping and creaking while being driven slowly on rough road surfaces or over speed bumps.  When the cold weather arrived in earnest here in central North Carolina a couple of weeks ago, she began hearing the same sounds that many of you have reported experiencing.

I contacted our local Lexus service manager with the appropriate Lexus Technical Service Bulletin in hand, discussed it with her, kindly asked for the repair at no charge due to the TSB, and she once again agreed to handle our problem under the Lexus goodwill warranty.  So when my wife returns from Florida next week, both of her vehicle's inferior front rubber bushings will be replaced with the redesigned ones at our convenience.  By the time her vehicle goes into the shop, it will have approximately 79,000 miles on the odometer.

For those of you with 1999 and 2000 model RX300s, note that the Technical Service Bulletin which addresses this problem is SU002-99.  It essentially states that the original rubber bushings at the top of your strut mounts were not shaped properly and therefore are prone to breaking down and wearing out, causing your front suspension to groan and creak on rough roads or at slow speeds.  The redesigned rubber bushings will rectify this problem as well as start you off with new rubber in your strut mounts again.  I suggest that you do your homework on the TSB, contact your local service manager, and state both professionally and courteously that you expect the TSB to be applied to your vehicle at no charge to you.  Once again, this approach has worked for me.   Good luck to all.

TO ALL: REQUEST FOR MORE DETAIL INFO ON THIS ISSUE

The information shared on this thread is very helpful and I am hoping those who have had this repair done at Lexus can provide me some details on parts that were replaced and amount of labor time involved - for replacing both right and left. (99 RX300)

I have been experiencing the clunking on bumps/washboard - most pronounced on the passenger side. The cold weather does seem to enhance the frequency and volume. I have the TSB via alldata.com and am professionally discussing with my dealer location. I am hoping for a small scale issue whether it is all or partially goodwill (not likely to be completely cost free even though I am a very high margin client for 95k miles) along the lines of the $100 part that has been discussed. There is some discussion that this might involve entire strut and other parts (well over $1000), which I want to avoid.

Any specific information on the parts that were changed will make me more knowledgeable and help me work towards an easy/inexpensive fix with the dealer. If your checkout sheet has some detail on the repair, I would be grateful for this knowledge.

Thanks in advance.

As I mentioned yesterday, the replacement of right and left front rubber bushings on the strut mounts apparently did the job for us. Our struts, mounts, and all other components in the suspension were fine. According to my dealership receipt, the rubber bushings carry the following part numbers:

48603-33021 - front support sub-assembly.

48609-33121 - front support sub-assembly.

The receipt does not specify which was left and which was right.

After the rubber bushings were replaced, both front wheels required toe-in alignment adjustment. This is also part of the "package" required when replacing the rubber bushings, so don't pay extra for it.

Total labor time allowed on the receipt was 2 hours, but the vehicle was in the shop all day so I don't know how long the work actually required.

Good luck to you - stay firm and insistent when dealing with your service manager. I believe that all of you with 1999 or 2000 RX300s will find that new rubber bushings will make quite a difference towards eliminating annoying front-end noises in your vehicle. And the new rubber has also made for a somewhat better ride as well.

Based on the number of RX owners who've reported strut mount problems on this site over the past four or five months, I've been waiting for my wife's 2000 model to begin popping and creaking while being driven slowly on rough road surfaces or over speed bumps.  When the cold weather arrived in earnest here in central North Carolina a couple of weeks ago, she began hearing the same sounds that many of you have reported experiencing.

I contacted our local Lexus service manager with the appropriate Lexus Technical Service Bulletin in hand, discussed it with her, kindly asked for the repair at no charge due to the TSB, and she once again agreed to handle our problem under the Lexus goodwill warranty.  So when my wife returns from Florida next week, both of her vehicle's inferior front rubber bushings will be replaced with the redesigned ones at our convenience.  By the time her vehicle goes into the shop, it will have approximately 79,000 miles on the odometer.

For those of you with 1999 and 2000 model RX300s, note that the Technical Service Bulletin which addresses this problem is SU002-99.  It essentially states that the original rubber bushings at the top of your strut mounts were not shaped properly and therefore are prone to breaking down and wearing out, causing your front suspension to groan and creak on rough roads or at slow speeds.  The redesigned rubber bushings will rectify this problem as well as start you off with new rubber in your strut mounts again.  I suggest that you do your homework on the TSB, contact your local service manager, and state both professionally and courteously that you expect the TSB to be applied to your vehicle at no charge to you.  Once again, this approach has worked for me.  Good luck to all.

As far as this tsb thing, where can i obtain a copy of this to take it to my dealer, and what is the goodwill warranty exactly?

As I mentioned yesterday, the replacement of right and left front rubber bushings on the strut mounts apparently did the job for us.  Our struts, mounts, and all other components in the suspension were fine.  According to my dealership receipt, the rubber bushings carry the following part numbers:

48603-33021  -  front support sub-assembly.

48609-33121  -  front support sub-assembly.

The receipt does not specify which was left and which was right.

After the rubber bushings were replaced, both front wheels required toe-in alignment adjustment.  This is also part of the "package" required when replacing the rubber bushings, so don't pay extra for it.

Total labor time allowed on the receipt was 2 hours, but the vehicle was in the shop all day so I don't know how long the work actually required.

Good luck to you  -  stay firm and insistent when dealing with your service manager.  I believe that all of you with 1999 or 2000 RX300s will find that new rubber bushings will make quite a difference towards eliminating annoying front-end noises in your vehicle.  And the new rubber has also made for a somewhat better ride as well.

RXinNC,

Many thanks for your prompt response and willingness to share this information. I also appreciate the words of encouragement. This issue is turning out to be more problematic than I expected - and moreso than much more costly problems I encountered in the past (i.e. air conditioning seal leak that decided to happen on a 100 degree day.) The information you provided allows me to be more knowledgeable in further discussion with the service manager. Most importantly, I know that the parts involved are not more extensive than those listed in the TSB - which was hinted (and scoped for large dollars) in our first discussion. Have an anchor point for the labor involved helps me understand level of effort - this is consistent with other data points that have been mentioned.

Best Regards.

As far as this tsb thing, where can i obtain a copy of this to take it to my dealer, and what is the goodwill warranty exactly?

I got a copy of the TSB through www.alldata.com - subscription is required - which lists all TSBs for this and lots of other models. I'm a new member to this forum, so don't know the policy of posting it here. I believe a dealer should share with you if you ask for a specific TSB number - see prior posts in this thread for the exact number.

From my level of understanding, Goodwill is the term Lexus uses for providing something it is not obligated to do (i.e. out of warranty) but will provide as 'goodwill' to a customer - from what I sense, decision criteria is an equation that factors: 1. how much 'goodwill' you've provided to Lexus and the service dealer in maintaining the vehicle 2. individual service dealer's committment to you as a customer 3. your personal diplomacy/negotiation skills. In an earlier issue I experienced out of warranty, I was provided parts as goodwill and paid the installation fee. I was pleased with the resolution.

• 2 weeks later...

I got a copy of the TSB through www.alldata.com - subscription is required - which lists all TSBs for this and lots of other models. I'm a new member to this forum, so don't know the policy of posting it here. I believe a dealer should share with you if you ask for a specific TSB number - see prior posts in this thread for the exact number.

From my level of understanding, Goodwill is the term Lexus uses for providing something it is not obligated to do (i.e. out of warranty) but will provide as 'goodwill' to a customer - from what I sense, decision criteria is an equation that factors: 1. how much 'goodwill' you've provided to Lexus and the service dealer in maintaining the vehicle 2. individual service dealer's committment to you as a customer 3. your personal diplomacy/negotiation skills. In an earlier issue I experienced out of warranty, I was provided parts as goodwill and paid the installation fee. I was pleased with the resolution.

With the return of 15-degree weather to our area this week, there's no doubt that the new rubber bushings in the front strut mounts of my wife's 2000 RX300 have made a tremendous difference in getting the vehicle quiet again. Having this procedure performed is well worth the effort of dealing with your local service manager to get Lexus to apply the existing TSB at no charge to you.

• 3 years later...

i decided to start w/lex customer service. i explained what was going on, gave them my vin and the tsb #. the rep took my complaint (we did discuss my service history so i think having dealt w/dealerships in the past will be a plus) and discussed nearby dealerships and promised to have an "in-house" service manager--i forget what he called them--call me back in 48hrs. i specifically told him that my purpose in calling him was to authorize a local dealer to fix this. we've got 200k miles on the rx and love it otherwise.....we'd just like to get rid of this rattling!

When you get a definitive answer as to what was wrong, please post it. I replaced my strut mounts and nothing changed. Same noises, in the same area, etc. I am at a loss!

Did you replace them personally or just pay to have them replaced? I can't imagine it making any noise if it actually had new strut mounts installed. If you payed to have them replaced I would check to make sure they were actually replaced or that they replaced the right thing. wouldn't be the first time someone payed for something that they didn't actually get. If you replaced them yourself then something is wrong somewhere. I removed them on my daughter-in-laws 99RX and actually repaired them and got rid of the noise. And it sounded nasty before I repaired them. Won't go into the reasons for repair vs replace but it had to do with critical time constraints. The noise is nasty because it is metal against metal! Y/t- Roger

The redesigned (and supposedly improved) front strut mount rubber bushings were installed on both sides of my wife's 2000 RX300 yesterday per the TSB previously mentioned in this thread, and her vehicle is noticeably quieter now. The true test will come when winter returns to our area and the rubber has to respond to 15 or 20-degree temperatures (it's been in the 60s and 70s for most of the past week).

For those of you whose vehicles pop and creak while driving on rough roads or over speed bumps (particularly during cold weather), having this procedure performed is your best initial remedy. Just ensure that you employ the TSB to get it done at no cost by your Lexus service department.

TIGHTEN THE LOWER CONTROL ARM BOLTS AS WELL AS THE UNDER CARRIAGE BUSHING BOLTS.

I had a noise as well which would not go away despite changing just about every part of my suspension and sterring assembly.......Make sure all bolts are VERY TIGHT on the control arms and cradle bushings.....

TO ALL: Your lower control arm bushing bolts have a tendancy to work themselves loose over a long time. MAKE SURE THES ARE TIGHTENED SECURELY. I replaced the following trying to eliminate noise when turning the wheel and going over bumps: Tie rod ends, rack, rack bushings, sway bar bushings, upper strut mount bushings, strut seat (rubber spring seat), lower control arm bushings, cradle bushings, etc.

Once I ensured all bolts on the control arms were tight to spec, the noise went away.

The noise is not coming from the strut mount....I replaced those as well and still had the noise when turning the wheel from time to time and when going over bumps. You can almost feel the vibration in the pedals and it sounded like the noise was coming from the lower area in the suspension most times. You can confirm that it is the LCA bolts by having someone turnt he wheel while in park and feeling the LCA for vibration.....I bet it will vibrate as you turn the vehicle wheel. I can almost assure you this is the problem after spending 6 months trying to find the noise in mine. The noise is variable but is more a popping sound similiar to a CV AXLE gone bad.....which could be the case but will nearly always make the noise when turning versus varying. Hope this helps people.

I need to replace my front strut mounts as well and have a question as to which to buy. I called the dealer and they wanted $92 for the mount and $30 for the bearing. I can find KYB mounts with bearings for about $73. Would these work ok with the OEM parts? Or should I get the ones from the dealer? I just figured that I would go the cheaper route right now to see if the new mounts and bearings solved the noise issue and if not, I'd already have them to match up with a set of KYB struts that I would order next. Thanks for any insight.

I need to replace my front strut mounts as well and have a question as to which to buy. I called the dealer and they wanted $92 for the mount and $30 for the bearing. I can find KYB mounts with bearings for about $73. Would these work ok with the OEM parts? Or should I get the ones from the dealer? I just figured that I would go the cheaper route right now to see if the new mounts and bearings solved the noise issue and if not, I'd already have them to match up with a set of KYB struts that I would order next. Thanks for any insight.

Should be no problem-KYB is good stuff.- Roger