The Gx470 In The Snow

strindl

I had my first chance to try out my GX in snow last night. It was only a dusting, enough to make the roads slick, not enough to tax the 4wd system though. I went to some areas where the roads were really slick, and empty of other traffic, and did some testing. I tried coming to a complete stop, and then accelerating briskly, and the stability control did its job well. I felt some wheel slippage at first, as the power was directed to different wheels, but as soon as the GX started to pull either end to one side or the other, the stability control brought things right back into line.

How have some of you who have had it in deeper snow found it to be?

I had my first chance to try out my GX in snow last night. It was only a dusting, enough to make the roads slick, not enough to tax the 4wd system though. I went to some areas where the roads were really slick, and empty of other traffic, and did some testing. I tried coming to a complete stop, and then accelerating briskly, and the stability control did its job well. I felt some wheel slippage at  first, as the power was directed to different wheels, but as soon as the GX started to pull either end to one side or the other, the stability control brought things right back into line.

Before I bought my GX, I was lucky enough to test drive it with a bunch of on snow on the ground. The dealer directed me to an unplowed parking lot where the depth was 2'+. The GX was fantastic in every aspect. I fact, after I left the dealer I went back to the lot in my (ex) X5, and got stuck to the point where I had to play around between F and R to rock myself into traction again. I almost considered calling AAA at one point b/c I thought I was stuck. I was pretty much sold at that point on the GX as a much better vehicle in a New England winter.

DMW

The GX is amazing in deep snow. Nothing will stop you from moving forward. It is a ton of fun. However, when you are on the road and the plows and trucks have turned everything to sloppy slush, watch out. It still will get you going when you've got to get up a hill or are starting off, but in the turns you still are dealing with the laws of physics. This SUV has got plenty of weight that always wants to go straight, thus, mitigating the value of much of the technology (skid control, etc.). However, this is where a really good set of winter tires will add significant value to how well you remain connected with the road. A combination of winter treads and all of the anti-everything can give you the edge and keep you out of trouble, to a point. :)

The GX is amazing in deep snow. Nothing will stop you from moving forward. It is a ton of fun. However, when you are on the road and the plows and trucks have turned everything to sloppy slush, watch out. It still will get you going when you've got to get up a hill or are starting off, but in the turns you still are dealing with the laws of physics. This SUV has got plenty of weight that always wants to go straight, thus,  mitigating the value of  much of the technology (skid control, etc.). However, this is where a really good set of winter tires will add significant value to how well you remain connected with the road. A combination of winter treads and all of the anti-everything can give you the edge and keep you out of trouble, to a point.  :)

I never really considered putting winter tires on the GX. The Bridgestone's that came with it are rated as M+S tires, so I hope they do the job. Looks like we are expecting some heavier snow in the Milwaukee area maybe on thursday, so I'll have a chance to see how well they do.

I have tried to find "snow" tires in the GX size. Nobody seems to make any. Anyone come up with any?

there should be plenty around, (haven't looked around for them because we don't get snow here!) because the GX is a very popular SUV! :whistles:

I have tried to find "snow" tires in the GX size. Nobody seems to make any. Anyone come up with any?

Which tires did yours come with? I've seen three different ones on the GX's at the dealership I bought from. Michelin Cross Terrains, Bridgestone Dueler HT's, and a Dunlop model. They all seem to have a fairly aggressive tread pattern and are rated as Mud and Snow tires. With the weight of the GX, the 4wd system, all of the anti skid and anti lock electronics, along with the m&s tires, I would think they should not need anything more agressive in the tire dept.

Which tires did yours come with? I've seen three different ones on the GX's at the dealership I bought from. Michelin Cross Terrains, Bridgestone Dueler HT's, and a Dunlop model. They all seem to have a fairly aggressive tread pattern and are rated as Mud and Snow tires. With the weight of the GX, the 4wd system, all of the anti skid and anti lock electronics, along with the m&s tires, I would think they should not need anything more agressive in the tire dept.

aren't the Dueler's and Grandtrek's H-rated though??

With the weight of the GX, the 4wd system, all of the anti skid and anti lock electronics,  along with the m&s tires, I would think they should not need anything more agressive in the tire dept.

Thats what everyone says until they drive their vehicle in the snow with new snow tires ;)

Snow tires make a huge difference on any vehicle in the snow. Its not the tread pattern as much as its the composition of the rubber.

With the weight of the GX, the 4wd system, all of the anti skid and anti lock electronics,  along with the m&s tires, I would think they should not need anything more agressive in the tire dept.

Thats what everyone says until they drive their vehicle in the snow with new snow tires ;)

Snow tires make a huge difference on any vehicle in the snow. Its not the tread pattern as much as its the composition of the rubber.

The difference snow tires made on my wifes car "02' subaru outback" was like night and day. She wont drive it in the winter untill I swap them now.

Yep, I hear that from everybody.

The main difference is the composition of rubber, snow tires have much harder rubber that doesn't hold snow in the treads as readily and they have a more aggressive tread design to maximize traction. Summer tires on the other hand have very soft rubber to provide the grippiest handling and the best quiet ride and benign tread designs with shallow grooves.

M+S tires are a hybrid of the two. Like most things that are hybrids (leather cleaner/conditioner, cleaner waxes, combo shampoo/conditioners) it does niether side of the spectrum as well as a dedicated counterpart.

Well, I have the Michelin Cross Terrians and tow my snowmobile with it. There are some times when I need to load up and the Sno-Park is not plowed. It has performed flawlessly so far.

It does great on the roads too, but all the safetly features cannot change the law of physics, I still drive as if I was driving a 2WD

I am most impressed though in the unplowed deep snow, it plain rocks!!! You drop into into low gear and lock the diff. and it will go just about damn near anywhere

I had my first chance to try out my GX in snow last night. It was only a dusting, enough to make the roads slick, not enough to tax the 4wd system though. I went to some areas where the roads were really slick, and empty of other traffic, and did some testing. I tried coming to a complete stop, and then accelerating briskly, and the stability control did its job well. I felt some wheel slippage at  first, as the power was directed to different wheels, but as soon as the GX started to pull either end to one side or the other, the stability control brought things right back into line.

Well my parents have a Toyota 4runner with the same full time system, v8. vsc etc. It was the first major snow storm since they purchased it and i was at their house and I needed to run an errand. I have to say the full time four wheel system is incredicble, there was no sliding, no swirving, nothing. I really hammered the gas real hard on my parents street with nobody on the road that the thing would lose control. Compaired to my 4x4 tundra I would much rather have the full time system instead of the part time system.

The lexus/toyota full time system is a real good option if you are looking for an suv.

Well my parents have a Toyota 4runner with the same full time system, v8. vsc etc. It was the first major snow storm since they purchased it and i was at their house and I needed to run an errand. I have to say the full time four wheel system is incredicble, there was no sliding, no swirving, nothing. I really hammered the gas real hard on my parents street with nobody on the road that the thing would lose control. Compaired to my 4x4 tundra I would much rather have the full time system instead of the part time system.

The lexus/toyota full time system is a real good option if you are looking for an suv.

isn't the system standard for the GX?

isn't the system standard for the GX?

It sure is. I drove a 2003 Chev Silverado 4wd pick up last winter. That has a dash switch where you choose between 2wd, 4wd auto, 4wd hi, and 4wd low. You could leave the 4wd auto engaged all the time, but on slippery roads, I did notice a momentary slipage before the traction shifted to the front wheels.

putting it in 4wd hi eliminated that, but that mode can only be used on slippery surfaces. I prefer the system in the GX.

We still havn't really had any snow to speak of in Milwaukee to try it out properly yet. I'm hoping for a real blizzard now. :)