Did It! 2004 Lx470 Dvd Bypass

airbish

• 1 month later...
i just got the bypass done last night on my '02 LX.

i should have done this on the day i got this car.

the written instruction for bypass wiring was very clear.

i did not use e-bay device.  and i'm glad i didn't.  it was simple two wire cut and grounding one.  took me all of 20 minutes.   and 15 minutes out of that was spent on removing the wood trim panels.  :)

too easy.  way too easy.

D.J.

Purchased bypass device from Doctorbypass on ebay for 140 and and had it professionally installed on my 2004 LX. Able to watch DVDs while driving, but cannot program Navigation system while in motion. Guys from installation shop told me that hacking Nav unit is not possible.

fooling the nav system is not possible.

it get's the motion data from the satellites. unlike the "play dvd" fuction.

there's not wire to cut to fool the unit that we are not moving. if we somehow pull that off by rewriting the software, the nav function will not work anymore because it would think that we are not moving.

D.J.

Not sure if everyone has seen this for being able to use the navigation and phone while in motion -- got this from another tread....

In sequence

Press the Menu button on the dash.

Press the Volume button on the screen.

Press the upper left corner of the screen. (Where the speaker icon is located.)

Press the lower left corner of the screen.

Press the upper left corner of the screen again.

Press the lower left corner of the screen again.

On the screen that appears:

Press the Override button and hold it until you hear a beep. The Override letters turn black in

color showing it is deselected.

Press the Back button to get back to the previous screen.

---- Tried this on my es350 and it worked :)

• 4 weeks later...

I finally found the Service Screen with the Override button for my 2003 LX-470:

While at a full stop or park:

Menu -> Dvd (near upper right)

Top Left Corner

Botton Left Corner

Top Left Corner

Bottom Left Corner

Botton Right Corner (Service Screen pops up)

Hold Override button until it turns green

Hit Back button

As usual, this has to be done every time after you start/turn on the car. The pressing of the hidden "Corner" buttons works best for me if I use the fat/flat part of my finger.

Maybe someone can post what all the other buttons are used for. Also, does anyone know how to set all the personalized settings without taking it into the dealer (who wants $70 to do this)? I want to make a single unlock on the key fob unlock all doors, and when I turn off the car, automatically unlock all the doors. Why doesn't Lexus provide navi-menu options for all the personalized settings. I believe Acura already allows this via their nav screen while we are still stuck in the Stone Age.

Bob

Just follow these instructions, and NO NEED TO PURCHASE SEPERATE EQUIPMENT. I just did it for my parents 2005 LX470. Took me about an hour going real slow and taking lotsa care :)

Carefully remove the center dash display cover panel (black or wood grain) from the multi display/radio (use the rounded end of a bottle opener or thin metal putty knife to pry it gradually and gently or you will break one of the 8 locating clips) Start at the bottom of the 8-clip radio bezel and work your way up the sides and finally the top. Unplug the clock connector at the bottom and set the cover aside. Now remove the air ducts by pulling at the bottom tab of each vent unit. Remove the nav/radio system as a whole by removing 4 silver phillips/hex head screws. The connector of interest is in the group of connectors located along the highest point at the top of the nav system. This is a group of 2 white connectors. The specific connector is the first on the RIGHT when viewed from the FRONT side of the nav screen - this makes it FIRST ON THE LEFT when viewed from the REAR side of the nav unit. Each wire in the bundle is marked with dots of paint(kinda' brown in color)so ignore these dots. The red/white wire is easy to spot. The violet wire doesn't have any stripe on it but it does have the dots. There are two wires that may appear "violet without a stripe" in the bundle. The one you DON'T want is twisted loosely together with a blue wire, and is actually more like pink. The one you DO want is by itself in the bundle. Locate VIOLET wire, cut it about 2 inches from connector and tape off the two cut ends. (This eliminates the speed signal turning off the video) Next locate RED/WHITE wire in same connector and also cut it BUT leave about 4 or 5 inches or so of wire remaining at the connector side. NEXT strip ½ inch of this red/white wire going into display and ground it to anything metal. I used the metal bracket that the display screws to. (This simulates the ground signal from the emergency brake lever on position)IMPORTANT!! Ground the portion of the red and white wire that is still connected to the multi display NOT the end that disappears into vehicles wire harness (that wire just tape up and leave) Reinstall multi display with 4 screws carefully guiding all the wires back into the recess. Re-attach the clock connector and then the front cover, reset clock and enjoy (CAREFULLY) video on the move.

I would attach pictures, but they are too big. If you would like me to email pictured of where the wires are or the vents or bezel, PM me.

Hi all,

I am a new member but have been hovering in the backround for many years! my 2004 RX330 just got totaled a little over a month ago and just got into an 03 LX470 and I love it! this thing blows the RX away! Anyways, just wanted to let anyone else know that this thing does work WITHOUT the module! Very easy and it took me about 30 minutes to do. I actually did it on my lunch break! It does look very intimidating, but if you follow these directions to the very last detail, it shouldnt be no problem! Now, if anyone out there knows or has done the bypass for the Nav that allows you to input addresses while your moving, that would take out most if not all the cons of the LX470's navigation/ dvd! Anyone know if this has been done? The button taps on the volume screen dont seem to work on the 03's. :angry::unsure:

• Like 1

Read the posts before yours carefully.

as a matter of fact, the post IMMEDIATELY before yours is about the very topic that you are asking.

Just follow these instructions, and NO NEED TO PURCHASE SEPERATE EQUIPMENT. I just did it for my parents 2005 LX470. Took me about an hour going real slow and taking lotsa care :)

Carefully remove the center dash display cover panel (black or wood grain) from the multi display/radio (use the rounded end of a bottle opener or thin metal putty knife to pry it gradually and gently or you will break one of the 8 locating clips) Start at the bottom of the 8-clip radio bezel and work your way up the sides and finally the top. Unplug the clock connector at the bottom and set the cover aside. Now remove the air ducts by pulling at the bottom tab of each vent unit. Remove the nav/radio system as a whole by removing 4 silver phillips/hex head screws. The connector of interest is in the group of connectors located along the highest point at the top of the nav system. This is a group of 2 white connectors. The specific connector is the first on the RIGHT when viewed from the FRONT side of the nav screen - this makes it FIRST ON THE LEFT when viewed from the REAR side of the nav unit. Each wire in the bundle is marked with dots of paint(kinda' brown in color)so ignore these dots. The red/white wire is easy to spot. The violet wire doesn't have any stripe on it but it does have the dots. There are two wires that may appear "violet without a stripe" in the bundle. The one you DON'T want is twisted loosely together with a blue wire, and is actually more like pink. The one you DO want is by itself in the bundle. Locate VIOLET wire, cut it about 2 inches from connector and tape off the two cut ends. (This eliminates the speed signal turning off the video) Next locate RED/WHITE wire in same connector and also cut it BUT leave about 4 or 5 inches or so of wire remaining at the connector side. NEXT strip ½ inch of this red/white wire going into display and ground it to anything metal. I used the metal bracket that the display screws to. (This simulates the ground signal from the emergency brake lever on position)IMPORTANT!! Ground the portion of the red and white wire that is still connected to the multi display NOT the end that disappears into vehicles wire harness (that wire just tape up and leave) Reinstall multi display with 4 screws carefully guiding all the wires back into the recess. Re-attach the clock connector and then the front cover, reset clock and enjoy (CAREFULLY) video on the move.

I would attach pictures, but they are too big. If you would like me to email pictured of where the wires are or the vents or bezel, PM me.

Hi all,

I am a new member but have been hovering in the backround for many years! my 2004 RX330 just got totaled a little over a month ago and just got into an 03 LX470 and I love it! this thing blows the RX away! Anyways, just wanted to let anyone else know that this thing does work WITHOUT the module! Very easy and it took me about 30 minutes to do. I actually did it on my lunch break! It does look very intimidating, but if you follow these directions to the very last detail, it shouldnt be no problem! Now, if anyone out there knows or has done the bypass for the Nav that allows you to input addresses while your moving, that would take out most if not all the cons of the LX470's navigation/ dvd! Anyone know if this has been done? The button taps on the volume screen dont seem to work on the 03's. :angry::unsure:

• 3 weeks later...

Read the posts before yours carefully.

as a matter of fact, the post IMMEDIATELY before yours is about the very topic that you are asking.

Hi all,

Oops, sorry, I shouldve read the posts more thouroughly! It works perfect, no problems! Thanks. :cheers:

• 5 months later...

I took the plunge and did it on my 2001 LX. The only difference is the connector on the top of the nav system is the gray one, 2nd on the left. Works like a charm. Thanks for all the great information!

Sam T. - Denver :cheers:

----------

Instructions - modified for 2001 LX 470

Carefully remove the center dash display cover panel (black or wood grain) from the multi display/radio (use the rounded end of a bottle opener or thin metal putty knife to pry it gradually and gently or you will break one of the 8 locating clips) Start at the bottom of the 8-clip radio bezel and work your way up the sides and finally the top. Unplug the clock connector at the bottom and set the cover aside. Now remove the air ducts by pulling at the bottom tab of each vent unit. Remove the nav/radio system as a whole by removing 4 silver phillips/hex head screws. The connector of interest is in the group of connectors located along the highest point at the top of the nav system. This is a gray colored connector. The specific connector is the second on the Left when viewed from the FRONT side of the nav screen - this makes it second ON THE RIGHT when viewed from the REAR side of the nav unit. Each wire in the bundle is marked with dots of paint(kinda' silver in color)so ignore these dots. The red/white wire is easy to spot. The violet wire doesn't have any stripe on it but it does have the silver dots. There are two wires that may appear "violet without a stripe" in the bundle. The one you DON'T want is twisted loosely together with a blue wire, and is actually more like pink. The one you DO want is by itself in the bundle. Locate VIOLET wire, cut it about 2 inches from connector and tape off the two cut ends. (This eliminates the speed signal turning off the video) Next locate RED/WHITE wire in same connector and also cut it BUT leave about 4 or 5 inches - IMPORTANT TO HAVE ENOUGH WIRE TO GROUND or so of wire remaining at the connector side. NEXT strip ½ inch of this red/white wire going into display and ground it to anything metal. I used the metal bracket that the display screws to, this is the screw on the upper left outside of bracket . (This simulates the ground signal from the emergency brake lever on position)IMPORTANT!! Ground the portion of the red and white wire that is still connected to the multi display NOT the end that disappears into vehicles wire harness (that wire just tape up and leave) Reinstall multi display with 4 screws carefully guiding all the wires back into the recess. Re-attach the clock connector and then the front cover, reset clock and enjoy (CAREFULLY) video on the move.

• 3 months later...

It was overwhelming at first. I looked the dash over and did not know where to start. I took a thin butter knife and worked my way around very slowly and cautiously. Took me about 20 minutes to get the all the pieces out. Locating and cutting wires were simple enough. I replaced everything and tested the DVD; everything seems to work just fine.

Now, did I void the warranty? Am I screwed down the line if Nav system goes haywire?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
I finally found the Service Screen with the Override button for my 2003 LX-470:

While at a full stop or park:

Menu -> Dvd (near upper right)

Top Left Corner

Botton Left Corner

Top Left Corner

Bottom Left Corner

Botton Right Corner (Service Screen pops up)

Hold Override button until it turns green

Hit Back button

As usual, this has to be done every time after you start/turn on the car. The pressing of the hidden "Corner" buttons works best for me if I use the fat/flat part of my finger.

Maybe someone can post what all the other buttons are used for. Also, does anyone know how to set all the personalized settings without taking it into the dealer (who wants $70 to do this)? I want to make a single unlock on the key fob unlock all doors, and when I turn off the car, automatically unlock all the doors. Why doesn't Lexus provide navi-menu options for all the personalized settings. I believe Acura already allows this via their nav screen while we are still stuck in the Stone Age.

Bob

Anyone know if this will work on a 2002 gen 3?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

i did not use e-bay device. and i'm glad i didn't. it was simple two wire cut and grounding one. took me all of 20 minutes. and 15 minutes out of that was spent on removing the wood trim panels. :)

too easy. way too easy.

D.J.

I need help by passing my dvd can you help i have 02 lx 470

• 2 weeks later...

Great post! I found the following site a great utility for pre '03 470's. I just bought my 02 a week ago and had absolutely no probs with the dvd's playing while driving after reading the info on the below link. Has great pics of all associated cuts and wire harness connector locations! Don't worry, I'm not too much of a noob! Was a yota Tech for 4 years til the pay and hours got to me! Had a 99 4runner lifted w/ 33's on it until last week. Luvin the Lex though! Anyways...great to be here. Great forum!!

http://www.pbase.com/drexx/dvdnavsystem

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

• 2 weeks later...

hello ..

i'm confused with the specific connector u mentioned and the wire colors to be adjusted, so could u please send me detailed close-up pics of the complete

process, i.e. ( the exact connector and the exact wires ) and thanks

• 7 months later...

This worked on my 2003 LX 470. I am not much of a car guy and getting the dash off was not easy for me but it took about 45 minutes including the 5 trips back and forth to the computer to read the directions again.

There is one correction for my vehicle though. The group of connectors was not the furthest top right (facing the front of the nav) they were one set to the left of those connectors.

Also, my nav works fine. No issues.

I will now enjoy my beer.

• 2 weeks later...

Can you send me pictures of this install please? I tried to PM you but it said that feature is not available for this board. Anyhow, I'd appreciate some visuals since I've never pulled apart the radio panel on this car. rhcpfrog778@yahoo.com

Thanks

Hi Dear,

Can you please send me the pictures of the wires and panels to remove.

p.s i try to pm you but did not go thru.

thanks you

i did not use e-bay device.  and i'm glad i didn't.  it was simple two wire cut and grounding one.  took me all of 20 minutes.   and 15 minutes out of that was spent on removing the wood trim panels.  :)

too easy.  way too easy.

D.J.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Purchased bypass device from Doctorbypass on ebay for 140 and and had it professionally installed on my 2004 LX. Able to watch DVDs while driving, but cannot program Navigation system while in motion. Guys from installation shop told me that hacking Nav unit is not possible.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

fooling the nav system is not possible.

it get's the motion data from the satellites. unlike the "play dvd" fuction.

there's not wire to cut to fool the unit that we are not moving. if we somehow pull that off by rewriting the software, the nav function will not work anymore because it would think that we are not moving.

D.J.

Not sure if everyone has seen this for being able to use the navigation and phone while in motion -- got this from another tread....

In sequence

Press the Menu button on the dash.

Press the Volume button on the screen.

Press the upper left corner of the screen. (Where the speaker icon is located.)

Press the lower left corner of the screen.

Press the upper left corner of the screen again.

Press the lower left corner of the screen again.

On the screen that appears:

Press the Override button and hold it until you hear a beep. The Override letters turn black in

color showing it is deselected.

Press the Back button to get back to the previous screen.

---- Tried this on my es350 and it worked :)

HI,

Yes the sequence step I got it to work, but only NAV. system(with car in motion) and how to get DVD to watch when car in motion. Please tell me the way to get it.

thanks

Can you send me pictures of this install please? I tried to PM you but it said that feature is not available for this board. Anyhow, I'd appreciate some visuals since I've never pulled apart the radio panel on this car. rhcpfrog778@yahoo.com

Thanks

hi

did you get the pictures of how to remove panel from the guy. please tell me.

please email to me jazzking86@gmail.com i would be appreciate. thanks

• 3 months later...

Just bought a 2002 LX470 ... what a great SUV! I've been reading through the posts on the DVD bypass and saw a couple posts about the mechanics bypass for the navigation system that allows you to enter an address while driving. We would like to be able to do this ... many times my wife is looking for something as I am driving, but obviously the system will not allow it. I tried the bypass suggested by SD-470 for his/her 2003 LX470, but when we hit menu we don't get a "DVD" in the near upper left. I am assuming this could be a result of the generation of navigation system. Any suggestions?

As a side note I believe I read somewhere that installing updated software (which we plan to do) eliminated the navigation bypass coding. Does any one know if this is true. The system is running 2001 ver.1 software now and I planned to replace it with 9.1. Too much has changed in the last 8 years!

Hopefully this is the right place to post this. We are not really interested in bypassing the DVD, but bypassing the nvigation input.