Did It! 2004 Lx470 Dvd Bypass

airbish

Ok...

I finally did the parking brake/vss bypasss installation.

Here are my notes on the process:

I purchased the kit from drbypass on e-bay. $140 (yes, it's gone up). I know that you are supposed to be able to do this mod without purchasing a module like this, but there is also some question on whether something changed on the 2004. drbypass said this this kit works on the 04, so for me the $140 was insurance to know that it would work and I wouldn't break something.

The $140 gets you a little module (don't ask me what's in it...could be nothing for all I know) with 4 leads and a ground. It's well contructed and comes with crimp splices pre-installed on the leads and a U-clip for the ground.

Installation is very easy (if you've done anything at all like this before) and took me about 45 minutes. (if you're handy with this stuff and no exactly what leads you're looking for you could do it faster, but why not just take your time and not blow something up?)

There ARE a couple things to take note of though.

1) Definitely get some sort of "hook tool" to get in between the (very tight) gaps between the interior panels to pull them out. A screwdriver is NOT going to cut it. I couldn't find the "hook tool" shown and listed in the instructions but found a set of "probes" at Home Depot that looked like beefed up dental tools. I used the one that looked like a Captain Hook hook. I also clipped and filed the point down a little as it's pretty sharp. With this, getting the lower woodgrain panel (around the lower audio controls) and the vents is not hard. Just be careful.

2) The instructions are wrong (even the set that says 2004 on them) Not terribly wrong, but it does make you think a little more. The directions say (and show) 4 harness connectors coming in to the top rear of the head unit. On my 2004 there are only three. It appears that they combined two of them. The one you want is the one on the very top row, furthest from the driver.

3) The instructions point you to the "violet" lead and the red/white lead. There are a TON of leads back there, but don't get intimidated. The red/white one is the parking brake lead. This is a thin read lead with a white stipe down the length of it. It's easy to spot and is the only one like it back there.

The "violet" lead is the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) signal for the screen and is a touch more difficult to identify. It's "violet", which means slightly blue-tinted pink color (with no length-wise stripes, just the little hand-painted dashes that are on all the leads). Don't confuse this with the bright pink lead that is slightly inter-twisted with a blue lead. With that advice it should be pretty easy to find.

I do have to admit that clipping leads to your $3000 nav/stereo in your $70K SUV feels a bit like clipping leads on a bomb (I imagine), but it's ok. (DO disconnect the battery) Hopefully this helps.

The rest of the instructions are right on and easy to follow.

4) When you disconnect the battery and reconnect it, the NAV system will reset (no big deal). The other thing that happens is that you will get a flashing warning light for the VGRS (Variable Gear Ratio System). I thought I had fried something until I guessed that it might just need to reset itself with some driving, which was exactly right. Just go for a quick drive and once you hit 45 or so it will reset and the light will go out. (whew!)

Other than that stuff, it's a cake install and really works well. flipping back and forth from the other nav screens works perfectly, as does the auto flip to the backup camera. The VSS bypass does NOT cause any problems with the NAV system, nor is there a switch the needs to be flipped back and forth. (This system will NOT, however, let you program the NAV while on the move...I imagine you would have to put a switch on another VSS input to do that, but I don't want to go there...)

Not counting the time to figure out the "Oh Lord what have I fried on the VGRS system...", this all went in in about 30-45 minutes, being VERY careful.

I'm very pleased. (Just be careful and not watch the damn thing while you're driving ok people?..it is dangerous and illegal as it should be....All I really wanted this for is be able to select "play" on a DVD playing from the factory changer while in motion, which you can't do with the rear-zone audio controls..even through you can change between sources and control chapters, pause, etc. from back there.)

Now all I need to do (the hard part) is find the video out from the factory changer to pipe to my vizuallogic controllers for the headrest monitors. With that (and the factory rear audio zone) I will have what I believe to be the best integrated rear DVD system available for this vehicle. (I just can't bring myself to have the audio rigged through an RF mod while there is a factory hard-wired Dolby Digital signal (and dual zone audio control) already built into the vehicle.

So if ANYONE knows ANYONE that has a wiring diagram that would help me find that video out, I'd greatly appreciate it and freely post the final diagrams and steps. (I haven't pulled the changer to see if there is a standard RCA video out on it (in addition the factory harness), but I doubt it does.)

Anyway...Hopefully this info is helpful to someone looking into this mod.

AirBish

• Like 1

wow thanks for the post i thought the 2004's can not be done becasue they changed something mine is older so i dont have this problem but my friend has a 2004 gx and tried to change his a wrecked it but this is a company car so he does not care ( i know i wish i can be like that)

Just follow these instructions, and NO NEED TO PURCHASE SEPERATE EQUIPMENT. I just did it for my parents 2005 LX470. Took me about an hour going real slow and taking lotsa care :)

Carefully remove the center dash display cover panel (black or wood grain) from the multi display/radio (use the rounded end of a bottle opener or thin metal putty knife to pry it gradually and gently or you will break one of the 8 locating clips) Start at the bottom of the 8-clip radio bezel and work your way up the sides and finally the top. Unplug the clock connector at the bottom and set the cover aside. Now remove the air ducts by pulling at the bottom tab of each vent unit. Remove the nav/radio system as a whole by removing 4 silver phillips/hex head screws. The connector of interest is in the group of connectors located along the highest point at the top of the nav system. This is a group of 2 white connectors. The specific connector is the first on the RIGHT when viewed from the FRONT side of the nav screen - this makes it FIRST ON THE LEFT when viewed from the REAR side of the nav unit. Each wire in the bundle is marked with dots of paint(kinda' brown in color)so ignore these dots. The red/white wire is easy to spot. The violet wire doesn't have any stripe on it but it does have the dots. There are two wires that may appear "violet without a stripe" in the bundle. The one you DON'T want is twisted loosely together with a blue wire, and is actually more like pink. The one you DO want is by itself in the bundle. Locate VIOLET wire, cut it about 2 inches from connector and tape off the two cut ends. (This eliminates the speed signal turning off the video) Next locate RED/WHITE wire in same connector and also cut it BUT leave about 4 or 5 inches or so of wire remaining at the connector side. NEXT strip ½ inch of this red/white wire going into display and ground it to anything metal. I used the metal bracket that the display screws to. (This simulates the ground signal from the emergency brake lever on position)IMPORTANT!! Ground the portion of the red and white wire that is still connected to the multi display NOT the end that disappears into vehicles wire harness (that wire just tape up and leave) Reinstall multi display with 4 screws carefully guiding all the wires back into the recess. Re-attach the clock connector and then the front cover, reset clock and enjoy (CAREFULLY) video on the move.

I would attach pictures, but they are too big. If you would like me to email pictured of where the wires are or the vents or bezel, PM me.

• Like 1

Just follow these instructions, and NO NEED TO PURCHASE SEPERATE EQUIPMENT.  I just did it for my parents 2005 LX470.  Took me about an hour going real slow and taking lotsa care :)

Carefully remove the center dash display cover panel (black or wood grain) from the multi display/radio (use the rounded end of a bottle opener or thin metal putty knife to pry it gradually and gently or you will break one of the 8 locating clips) Start at the bottom of the 8-clip radio bezel and work your way up the sides and finally the top. Unplug the clock connector at the bottom and set the cover aside. Now remove the air ducts by pulling at the bottom tab of each vent unit. Remove the nav/radio system as a whole by removing 4 silver phillips/hex head screws. The connector of interest is in the group of connectors located along the highest point at the top of the nav system. This is a group of 2 white connectors. The specific connector is the first on the RIGHT when viewed from the FRONT side of the nav screen - this makes it FIRST ON THE LEFT when viewed from the REAR side of the nav unit. Each wire in the bundle is marked with dots of paint(kinda' brown in color)so ignore these dots. The red/white wire is easy to spot. The violet wire doesn't have any stripe on it but it does have the dots. There are two wires that may appear "violet without a stripe" in the bundle. The one you DON'T want is twisted loosely together with a blue wire, and is actually more like pink. The one you DO want is by itself in the bundle. Locate VIOLET wire, cut it about 2 inches from connector and tape off the two cut ends. (This eliminates the speed signal turning off the video) Next locate RED/WHITE wire in same connector and also cut it BUT leave about 4 or 5 inches or so of wire remaining at the connector side. NEXT strip ½ inch of this red/white wire going into display and ground it to anything metal. I used the metal bracket that the display screws to. (This simulates the ground signal from the emergency brake lever on position)IMPORTANT!! Ground the portion of the red and white wire that is still connected to the multi display NOT the end that disappears into vehicles wire harness (that wire just tape up and leave) Reinstall multi display with 4 screws carefully guiding all the wires back into the recess. Re-attach the clock connector and then the front cover, reset clock and enjoy (CAREFULLY) video on the move.

I would attach pictures, but they are too big.  If you would like me to email pictured of where the wires are or the vents or bezel, PM me.

If you do this, can you enter address in your Nav system while in motion? Thanks.

• 2 months later...
I tried to find drbypass on ebay but couldn't find it.  Any help with internet access direct to drbypass?  I want to do this to my 2002 LX470.

Look for doctorbypass, NOT drbypass on ebay. His items sell for around $140-$150.

Jim.

• 3 weeks later...

i just got the bypass done last night on my '02 LX.

i should have done this on the day i got this car.

the written instruction for bypass wiring was very clear.

i did not use e-bay device. and i'm glad i didn't. it was simple two wire cut and grounding one. took me all of 20 minutes. and 15 minutes out of that was spent on removing the wood trim panels. :)

too easy. way too easy.

D.J.

• 2 weeks later...

i did not use e-bay device.  and i'm glad i didn't.  it was simple two wire cut and grounding one.  took me all of 20 minutes.   and 15 minutes out of that was spent on removing the wood trim panels.  :)

too easy.  way too easy.

D.J.

Purchased bypass device from Doctorbypass on ebay for 140 and and had it professionally installed on my 2004 LX. Able to watch DVDs while driving, but cannot program Navigation system while in motion. Guys from installation shop told me that hacking Nav unit is not possible.

• 2 weeks later...

i did not use e-bay device.  and i'm glad i didn't.  it was simple two wire cut and grounding one.  took me all of 20 minutes.   and 15 minutes out of that was spent on removing the wood trim panels.  :)

too easy.  way too easy.

D.J.

Purchased bypass device from Doctorbypass on ebay for 140 and and had it professionally installed on my 2004 LX. Able to watch DVDs while driving, but cannot program Navigation system while in motion. Guys from installation shop told me that hacking Nav unit is not possible.

fooling the nav system is not possible.

it get's the motion data from the satellites. unlike the "play dvd" fuction.

there's not wire to cut to fool the unit that we are not moving. if we somehow pull that off by rewriting the software, the nav function will not work anymore because it would think that we are not moving.

D.J.

• 2 weeks later...

But can you dial the phone while driving after this mod?

Also, where can I get written directions for this without buying the ebay mod?

thanks guys.

too easy.  way too easy.

D.J.

fooling the nav system is not possible.

it get's the motion data from the satellites. unlike the "play dvd" fuction.

there's not wire to cut to fool the unit that we are not moving. if we somehow pull that off by rewriting the software, the nav function will not work anymore because it would think that we are not moving.

D.J.

• 3 weeks later...
So if ANYONE knows ANYONE that has a wiring diagram that would help me find that video out, I'd greatly appreciate it and freely post the final diagrams and steps.  (I haven't pulled the changer to see if there is a standard RCA video out on it (in addition the factory harness), but I doubt it does.)

Tapping into the video signal and routing it to another screen is very easy. Follow my directions here: http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...=19276&hl=video

Now, if you'd like, I can sell you a "well constructed box" that has a wire connector in it for 120 bucks that will do the job in place of a wire tap.

All that box from Ebay has in it are terminations for the wires that have been cut and a connector for the wire that needs to be grounded! You can accomplish the same thing with wire nuts and/or black tape (I suggest both).

I understand that $140 is not a crazy number when you look at the cost of an LX470 but it is insane to pay that for a nothing box with poor directions.

• 2 months later...

Hi All

I'm just about ready to try this in my new 05 Land Cruiser... I have a few questions if any of you would not mind.

1.) Do I have to disconnect my battery to get this to work?

2.) Does the NAV system still work fine after this procedure?

3.) Besides a bottle opener, tape, and scissors if there anything else I need to do this...

And if you were wondering. I am NOT doing this for DVD video, but for the bluetooth dto not be crippled and to let me dial calls as i can in my sl500 (I assure you, a MUCH! more dangerous operation due to the cryptic german buttons) or even in my 05 Grand Cherokee!

Hi All

I'm just about ready to try this in my new 05 Land Cruiser... I have a few questions if any of you would not mind.

1.) Do I have to disconnect my battery to get this to work?

2.) Does the NAV system still work fine after this procedure?

3.) Besides a bottle opener, tape, and scissors if there anything else I need to do this...

And if you were wondering. I am NOT doing this for DVD video, but for the bluetooth dto not be crippled and to let me dial calls as i can in my sl500 (I assure you, a MUCH! more dangerous operation due to the cryptic german buttons) or even in my 05 Grand Cherokee!

Compuz1,

Do keep us updated and share your results regarding the added bluetooth functions while the vehicle is in motion. We just purchased an 04 LX470 and will eventually get around to doing this mod.

Thanks in advance!

CTapia

Ok...

I finally did the parking brake/vss bypasss installation. 

Here are my notes on the process:

I purchased the kit from drbypass on e-bay.  $140 (yes, it's gone up).  I know that you are supposed to be able to do this mod without purchasing a module like this, but there is also some question on whether something changed on the 2004.  drbypass said this this kit works on the 04, so for me the $140 was insurance to know that it would work and I wouldn't break something.

The $140 gets you a little module (don't ask me what's in it...could be nothing for all I know) with 4 leads and a ground.  It's well contructed and comes with crimp splices pre-installed on the leads and a U-clip for the ground.

Installation is very easy (if you've done anything at all like this before) and took me about 45 minutes.  (if you're handy with this stuff and no exactly what leads you're looking for you could do it faster, but why not just take your time and not blow something up?)

There ARE a couple things to take note of though.

1) Definitely get some sort of "hook tool" to get in between the (very tight) gaps between the interior panels to pull them out.  A screwdriver is NOT going to cut it.  I couldn't find the "hook tool" shown and listed in the instructions but found a set of "probes" at Home Depot that looked like beefed up dental tools.  I used the one that looked like a Captain Hook hook. I also clipped and filed the point down a little as it's pretty sharp.  With this, getting the lower woodgrain panel (around the lower audio controls) and the vents is not hard.  Just be careful.

2)  The instructions are wrong (even the set that says 2004 on them) Not terribly wrong, but it does make you think a little more.  The directions say (and show) 4 harness connectors coming in to the top rear of the head unit.  On my 2004 there are only three.  It appears that they combined two of them.  The one you want is the one on the very top row, furthest from the driver.

3) The instructions point you to the "violet" lead and the red/white lead.  There are a TON of leads back there, but don't get intimidated.  The red/white one is the parking brake lead.  This is a thin read lead with a white stipe down the length of it.  It's easy to spot and is the only one like it back there.

The "violet" lead is the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) signal for the screen and is a touch more difficult to identify.  It's "violet", which means slightly blue-tinted pink color (with no length-wise stripes, just the little hand-painted dashes that are on all the leads).  Don't confuse this with the bright pink lead that is slightly inter-twisted with a blue lead.  With that advice it should be pretty easy to find.

I do have to admit that clipping leads to your $3000 nav/stereo in your $70K SUV feels a bit like clipping leads on a bomb (I imagine), but it's ok.  (DO disconnect the battery)  Hopefully this helps.

The rest of the instructions are right on and easy to follow.

4) When you disconnect the battery and reconnect it, the NAV system will reset (no big deal).  The other thing that happens is that you will get a flashing warning light for the VGRS (Variable Gear Ratio System).  I thought I had fried something until I guessed that it might just need to reset itself with some driving, which was exactly right.  Just go for a quick drive and once you hit 45 or so it will reset and the light will go out. (whew!)

Other than that stuff, it's a cake install and really works well.  flipping back and forth from the other nav screens works perfectly, as does the auto flip to the backup camera.  The VSS bypass does NOT cause any problems with the NAV system, nor is there a switch the needs to be flipped back and forth.  (This system will NOT, however, let you program the NAV while on the move...I imagine you would have to put a switch on another VSS input to do that, but I don't want to go there...)

Not counting the time to figure out the "Oh Lord what have I fried on the VGRS system...", this all went in in about 30-45 minutes, being VERY careful.

I'm very pleased.  (Just be careful and not watch the damn thing while you're driving ok people?..it is dangerous and illegal as it should be....All I really wanted this for is be able to select "play" on a DVD playing from the factory changer while in motion, which you can't do with the rear-zone audio controls..even through you can change between sources and control chapters, pause, etc. from back there.)

Now all I need to do (the hard part) is find the video out from the factory changer to pipe to my vizuallogic controllers for the headrest monitors.  With that (and the factory rear audio zone) I will have what I believe to be the best integrated rear DVD system available for this vehicle.  (I just can't bring myself to have the audio rigged through an RF mod while there is a factory hard-wired Dolby Digital signal (and dual zone audio control) already built into the vehicle.

So if ANYONE knows ANYONE that has a wiring diagram that would help me find that video out, I'd greatly appreciate it and freely post the final diagrams and steps.  (I haven't pulled the changer to see if there is a standard RCA video out on it (in addition the factory harness), but I doubt it does.)

Anyway...Hopefully this info is helpful to someone looking into this mod.

AirBish

The DVD bypass instructions for clipping and grounding the wires worked great. I can watch DVD's and dial the phone (not driving of course) in route. However, an interesting thing has started happening after the bypass was completed. After ejecting the CD/DVD cartridge 6-9 times (to change CD's) the changer will not accept the cartridge. I can get it working again by disconnecting the main battery and hooking it back up again. However, this is a real pain. Has anyone else experienced this situation? Better yet, does anyone have a fix? :huh:

The DVD bypass instructions for clipping and grounding the wires worked great.  I can watch DVD's and dial the phone (not driving of course) in route.  However, an interesting thing has started happening after the bypass was completed.  After ejecting the CD/DVD cartridge 6-9 times (to change CD's) the changer will not accept the cartridge.  I can get it working again by disconnecting the main battery and hooking it back up again.  However, this is a real pain.  Has anyone else experienced this situation?  Better yet, does anyone have a fix? :huh:

Security_guy,

Sorry, I don't have the answer, but perhaps a few suggestions. Perhaps you connections were not solid or are intermitting and causing the changer to hang up. Disconnecting the battery will reset the changer and then works ok until you loose connection and then hangs up again.

I would first review you connections and make sure that they are soldered or correctly crimped and that the ground is solid (metal to metal). If that checks out fine and the condition still exist, you can then then undo the DVD bypass and see if the condition is eliminated.

Please let us know the outcome out of this.

CTapia

04 LX470

The DVD bypass instructions for clipping and grounding the wires worked great.  I can watch DVD's and dial the phone (not driving of course) in route.  However, an interesting thing has started happening after the bypass was completed.  After ejecting the CD/DVD cartridge 6-9 times (to change CD's) the changer will not accept the cartridge.  I can get it working again by disconnecting the main battery and hooking it back up again.  However, this is a real pain.  Has anyone else experienced this situation?  Better yet, does anyone have a fix? :huh:

Security_guy,

Sorry, I don't have the answer, but perhaps a few suggestions. Perhaps you connections were not solid or are intermitting and causing the changer to hang up. Disconnecting the battery will reset the changer and then works ok until you loose connection and then hangs up again.

I would first review you connections and make sure that they are soldered or correctly crimped and that the ground is solid (metal to metal). If that checks out fine and the condition still exist, you can then then undo the DVD bypass and see if the condition is eliminated.

CTapia

04 LX470

Thanks CTapia

Will give it a try and report back.

Security_Guy

04 Land Cruiser

Awesome !! It took me only 30 minutes ..start to finish. Went for  "test" drive while watching Shrek 2. Outstanding web site. I even hooked up a video lead for future flip-down screen. Any ideas of where to get screen and how to install?

What year LX do you have? Did you buy the DVD bypass module from e-bay? Where did you tap into to get a video out signal?

CTapia

Awesome !! It took me only 30 minutes ..start to finish. Went for  "test" drive while watching Shrek 2. Outstanding web site. I even hooked up a video lead for future flip-down screen. Any ideas of where to get screen and how to install?

What year LX do you have? Did you buy the DVD bypass module from e-bay? Where did you tap into to get a video out signal?

CTapia

No ,I did not buy a "module". The "module" is an empty black box. Somewhere on this thread , you will find the instructions on "How to by-pass' the ground for the emergency brake. Also, in the same information , you will find instructions on which wire is the 'video"output wire. I haven't "tested" the new lead . I'm still trying to find a flip-down screen. By the way , it is a 2002, LX470.

Good luck, it works great. And the instructions are right on the money. :cheers:

Security_guy,

CTapia

04 LX470

Thanks CTapia

Security_Guy

04 Land Cruiser

Security_Guy,

Any updates to this? Did you resolve the CD/DVD Changer issue that you had?

CTapia

Security_guy,

CTapia

04 LX470

Thanks CTapia

Security_Guy

04 Land Cruiser

Security_Guy,

CTapia

CTapia,

I think it is fixed. So far so good. I simply reinforced the taped the cut wire and tightened the grounding. Cross your fingers for me.

Thanks....

Security_Guy

Security_guy,

CTapia

04 LX470

Thanks CTapia

Security_Guy

04 Land Cruiser

Security_Guy,

CTapia

CTapia,

I think it is fixed. So far so good. I simply reinforced the taped the cut wire and tightened the grounding. Cross your fingers for me.

Thanks....

Security_Guy

Good to hear that! I just did mine last night. Did a quick test drive and everything works good. It great that we can now dial out from the screen while in motion.