Check Engine Light

What are some possible causes for the check engine light to turn on or blink?

spark plugs, O2 sensors?

this goes back to my previous post about my GS giving that "chug chug chug" feeling when accelerating at any speed. I made an appointment at the dealer today to check it out. Wont be till next week but the guy said if the check engine light came on, when they hook it up to the computer, they will know in a second what is wrong. will cost me $99 :( For that price, im gonna have them check everything else out to. (A$$holes) sorry.

But any other thoughts before then on what it could be?

The purpose of the check engine light is to alert the driver that the ECM has stored a trouble code - that it has part way diagnosed itself in fact. There are hundreads of "possible causes", all of them identified in the diagnostic charts and in the scanner. So trying to guess what the light means is useless - have the code pulled at the dealer.

The scan tool they use cost thousands of dollars - some cost much more than that. For them to charge $90 doesn't make them bad guys. It makes them the guys you need to deal with, unless you want to purchase a scan tool yourself, and then spend years learning how to use it.

Yes, i know. Luckily, the lexus dealer is right up the street from the body shop that is fixing my car so i wont have to drive far. But everybody i have talked to said its a tune up problem. Maybe its my spark plugs or something. I hope so, because its christmas and im broke. Hopefully its not a $1000 problem. I appreciate everyones input. thanks again.

I bought a '98 GS300 in July w/ just under 50K miles on it. (Sure wish I'd taken it to the dealer then for an end-of-warranty check up!) I've had a "check engine light ??" problem, too. In the past month I've had several episodes of an intermittant loss of acceleration. The first time it happened, I was making a turn onto a side street & almost got broad-sided when the car didn't move as fast as the on-coming traffic. After disconnecting the battery to reset the computer, it didn't happen again until 2 wks. later. Took it to AutoZone for a diagnostic check (FREE!!) but no codes showed. Yesterday, it happened for the 3rd time. The check engine light came on again along w/ the VSC light. They stayed on so I took it back to AutoZone. BINGO! Codes P1120 & P1121... throttle position sensor. Ordered the part ($200) & will install it this wkend...hope that solves the problem. Otherwise, this has been a great car. I like the GS style & the extra weightiness... added a lip spoiler to the deck lid... gave it some zip. Had a '92 ES300 & sold it when I got this one. It had just at 82K miles & was just beginning to need some fairly serious($$) work so I bailed.

To install the TPS you need an OBD-II reader to adjust the throttle angle %.

The old one may just be out of alighment or need a clean.

ive also had that same acceleration problem a few times. doesnt happen often but thee are times i pressed on the gas hard and it 2-3 seconds for car to accelerate.

hmmm, so autozone can check for codes? then maybe i should just take it there instead of paying the dealer $99........

what do u guys think?

What is that angle % and/or where can I find that info? If I reinstall the old sensor or install the new one will the car still start w/o the adjustment?

What is that angle % and/or where can I find that info? If I reinstall the old sensor or install the new one will the car still start w/o the adjustment?

I'm curious as well.

I've recently had the TPS failure code a few times. (intermittently) I had to pay my Lexus dealer $45 for that info, but there was no way I was going to pay $200 for their TPS sensor!

I found that Carson Toyota in Cali. sells them for $60 and now it's sitting here needing installed.

My Lexus shop wants $115 for install, which I'm not too thrilled about paying either as it seems I should be able to do it myself.

On my Fuel Injected ZX12R, you can set your TPS sensor with a multi-meter and looking for certain voltage in the plug while you adjust the sensor. (it has slotted holes where it's screwed down, allowing for a clockwise/counterclockwise movement)

On my Fuel Injected ZX12R, you can set your TPS sensor with a multi-meter and looking for certain voltage in the plug while you adjust the sensor. (it has slotted holes where it's screwed down, allowing for a clockwise/counterclockwise movement)

You can do yours the same way you just need the shop manual for the values and terminal identification. The % is more for a scanner like the high dollar snapon and mac's B)

The repair manuals only give a %, no voltage or butterfly gap etc.

For the 300 engine the position should be 14.8% +- 0.8%.

This reading should be taken and adjusted when the ignition is turned on without moving the throttle. Once the throttle is moved it will not return to this position - turn off the ignition and restart.

Recheck once you have tightened the screws as it can move as you do them up.

As I posted ealier in this thread you can buy a scanner for your PC for under $100 which will not only be cheaper than getting Lexus to fit the TPS but will also save you money in the future.

Thats strange my repair manual gives no % ony voltages and ohms and pinout to use with a multimeter. It's the original lexus manual, 2 big thick books. Could it be that mines for a 93?

Yes that used to be the correct way to adjust. Now with OBD-II and electronic throttle etc. it is easier and more accurate to use a diagnostic tool.

Thats strange my repair manual gives no % ony voltages and ohms and pinout to use with a multimeter. It's the original lexus manual, 2 big thick books. Could it be that mines for a 93?

Yes that used to be the correct way to adjust. Now with OBD-II and electronic throttle etc. it is easier and more accurate to use a diagnostic tool.

Kewl, thanks colin <_<

Kewl, thanks colin <_<

ok, finally took my car to dealer and the code came back as a engine misfire. After further investigation, it was my spark plugs. Thats what i thought in the first place. I used cheap $1 spark plugs and they crapped out on me. Then they said my car is a 98 which is 6 years old and said i need to change timing belt. GS has 64,000 miles and they said either 6 years or 90,000 miles...which ever comes first. well all in all i walked out spending $700 :( one thing i learned is to use dealer parts. find another mechanic to do the work but at least use dealer parts. just my opnion. Damn did those spark plugs make a difference. car rides smoother than before.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I had the TPS replaced by my Toyota dealer & the car ran great for about 2 wks. Today, it's deja vu all over again. Now the dealer says it's the throttle body that needs replacing with a $1200 price tag. I'm thinking of taking it to another independent shop that works only on Lexus... I had work done there on my '92 ES300. So.... any ideas????

Toyota Motor Company, Ltd.

Models:

Lexus GS300 Years: 1998

Lexus GS400 Years: 1998

Number Involved: 14,855

Dates of Manufacture: May 1997 - February 1998

NHTSA Recall No.: 98V080

Vehicle Description:

Description of Defect: Due to a manufacturing defect of the yaw rate sensor for the vehicle stability control (VSC), the VSC can operate improperly if the sensor is affected by certain electromagnetic waves, such as from a cellular phone. Should this occur, the brake can operate unexpectedly, affecting steering and speed control, increasing the risk of a vehicle crash.

Remedy: Dealers will replace the yaw rate sensor.

Owner Notification: Owner notification is expected to begin during June 1998. Owners who do not receive the free remedy within a reasonable time should contact Lexus at 1-888-333-9376.