Dealer Wouldn't Purge Brakes

jschunke

It's my dad's '93 LS400 (130,000 mi). He took

it to the Lexus dealer for maintenance and asked

to purge the brakes and power steering fluid. But

the dealer said it wasn't necessary. I thought that

was a good thing to do every 5 years.

Also, they found a small leak in the power steering, and

want mucho dinero to replace the pump and lines.

Think the dealer will install after market parts if I buy them?

Thanks.

Just follow the recomended handbook service schedule. There is no need to do anything differently unless you have a problem or the car is driven very hard (ie track work).

WRT power steering pump, I'm sure you can have your reconditioned by a mechanic for less than 1/2 what the dealer charges to replace it. Alternatively, you may be able to find another one on ebay. Either way, get the power steering pump leak fixed asap, before it generates further problems with the alternator, which will get very expensive to reapair.

OMG

do not go back to a dealership that tells you you do not need to flush the brake fluid ,the advisor is a moron

give head office a call to let the general manger know they have such a moron working for them

brake fluid should be changed ever 2 years and has a max life of 3 years anything after is going to work but not up to spec

the PS fluid every 4-5 is fine

It's strange that the Lexus dealer didn't want your money! SK is right, the brake fluid should be changed after 2 years. If the fluid is dark then it probably needs changing. If the mechanic at the dealer doesn't know that then they shouldn't be working.

PS pump can be rebuilt, I have a tutorial on my website for it. I also have info on brake bleeding.

Thanks for the replies. My guess is that Lexus

wants the brakes to fail so they can charge

thousands later for new calipers. Or maybe in NJ

the cost of disposing the old fluid is a hassle. The

brakes were last purged by a MA Lexus dealer at

the 90k service. There's no record for power

steering service. Nice tutorials. Rebuilding the

original pump would be ideal.

Modern day brake fluid formulations really do have an infinite duty lifecycle. Obviously if your brake systems is "opened" for some sort of repair then the fluid should be completely replaced.

The only exception I can think of is if the brakes are used so strenuously for a long period and the fluid overheats and boils. But then you would certainly know that had happened.

you don't need to open the lid for it to go bad

and no brake fluid is good for life its a fact

dot 5 fluid has a higher boiling point nad can;t be mixed with 3-4 as it is silicone based ,eve though it is better it still needs to be changed and also more frequently

so their is NO modern day brake fluid that is infinite just a matter of its physics it is hydroscopic and attracts air which lowers its boiling point and pedal stiffness

Dot 3 and 4 brake fluids are hygroscopic, which means they absorb moisture and put it into solution to prevent localized rusting within the brake system, and to moderate the boiling point evenly. These brake fluids are chemically related to ethylene glycol in fact. The brake fluid is exposed to moisture which is airborne. All resevoirs on all braking systems are vented to the atmosphere, and the level changes slightly on each brake application, so air is constantly moving in and out of the resevoir. Consequently the brake fluid absorbs moisture over time, and this moisture degrades the fluid, particularly in that it lowers the boiling point, which is certainly dangerous if the brakes are used hard at any time.

Both DOT 3 and 4 should be changed at some interval - 2-4 years is common throughout the industry as normal.

As SK Performance stated, DOT 5 is different, and cannot be mixed with 3 and 4 as it is silicone based. It is also not hygroscopic, and can be used for longer periods.