Ls Generations - The Evolution Of The Ls Series

Lexls

Hey guys, I have finally finished writing my article, LS Generations - the evolution of the LS series. Check it out: http://www.lexls.com/lsgenerations.html

I would really appreciate it if you guys would look it over and make sure I haven't left anything out and haven't made any mistakes. After looking at it for soooo long you start to miss things...sometimes stupid things. I resubscribed to TIS and spent a ton of time downloading all the new features information from each model year. So that's where most of the info comes from...Toyota. Some years had better materials than others.

I would also love to get a more standardized set of pictures. This is where you guys could really help me. What I would like is for each model to have the same set of pictures: front, rear, passenger's side, full engine bay shot, full front interior shot, and a really good instrument cluster shot. Take a look at the images I have now and you'll see what could be improved.

Thanks,

Carl

Thanks for taking the time to put this together. I know it must have taken a lot of time to research the information and find the pictures. Your article makes me appreciate my LS even more by knowing its history. I owned a '98 LS400 and now an '04 LS430, so it's great to have facts and pictures to fill in the gaps. I have added the link to my "Favorites" and will be using it as a reference often.

Mike

I didn't want to add every tiny detail....but I'll add what I can.

The LS400 logo was added officially to the 95. You will see the logo on some first gen's because many people have replaced worn out emblems. The LS400 emblem is usually included in the emblem packages. First gens did not have the LS400 emblem, my parts catalog confirms that.

I can put in top speeds for each year probably...yeah, the newer LS's are "slower" because there is a speed limiter. Bigger engine, but slower top speed.

Hi Carl!! :)

Good for you!! What a fantastic job. You should feel proud of yourself for creating something that will - no doubt - become THE reference point for all who love the LS.

Just to help you finish off your page...

According to the 'Road Test Review' in MotorTrend's January 1995 issue - the 1995 Lexus LS400 could reach 60 mph in 7.7 seconds. I would assume that the 1996 and 1997 models would be the same.

According to the 'Road Test Review' in MotorTrend's January 1998 issue - the 1998 Lexus LS400 could reach 60 mph in 6.3 seconds. I would assume similiar results for both the 1999 and 2000 model year LS's.

Once again - a wonderful page. Thank you for taking the time [and boy - that WOULD have taken a LOT of time] for creating it!!

It has been said that a picture is worth a thousand words. That being true - your new LS 'generations' page has 39,000 words-worth of photos!! [no wonder you're tired!!]

Craig!! :)

Hi Carl!! :)

Good for you!! What a fantastic job. You should feel proud of yourself for creating something that will - no doubt - become THE reference point for all who love the LS.

Just to help you finish off your page...

According to the 'Road Test Review' in MotorTrend's January 1995 issue - the 1995 Lexus LS400 could reach 60 mph in 7.7 seconds. I would assume that the 1996 and 1997 models would be the same.

According to the 'Road Test Review' in MotorTrend's January 1998 issue - the 1998 Lexus LS400 could reach 60 mph in 6.3 seconds. I would assume similiar results for both the 1999 and 2000 model year LS's.

Once again - a wonderful page. Thank you for taking the time [and boy - that WOULD have taken a LOT of time] for creating it!!

It has been said that a picture is worth a thousand words. That being true - your new LS 'generations' page has 39,000 words-worth of photos!!  [no wonder you're tired!!]

Craig!! :)

Nice write up, one thing you can mention is that 98 had the world’s first production VVT-i V8 engine. I'm Proud of my LS :cheers:

Thanks guys, I really glad you like it :D.

I've made a few updates according to suggestions here. Craig, thanks for the specs to fill in the missing info that the Toyota documents didn't have!

Anyone wanna submit pictures?

OK...things I noticed that you missed:

1. 3rd gen UCF31 doesnt offer DUAL glove compartments

2. 1st gen UCF11 offerd digital ODOMETER reading in the instrument cluster

3. 2nd gen UCF20 shift pattern changed both on the floor and instrument cluster

4. 2nd gen UCF20 seats pattern/design was different with different stiching and didnt offer the springs on the bottom like MB used to.

5. 2nd gen UCF20 steering wheel is different

5. 2nd gen UCF20 rear tailightt are shorter and offer room for longer EUROPEAN plates

A bunch of more 2nd gen UCF20 that I keep going on and on

Thanks, Jag. I know there's plenty of stuff I didn't include. If I put every tiny difference on the page it would take people hours to read. With a gen change everything was different. I tried to go for info that my Toyota materials highlighted. I will note your info though B)

I'd love to have my car on there(I have tons of pics)!! I have an mpeg of it going 0-95 at 240,283 miles if you want that too! lol

I was very glad to see that you spent so much time discussing that there are only 3 generations of LS vehicles especially since a lot of folks here like to call a 98-00 a gen III. What an excellent job with everything...the pics, the listed changes, everything. You should be very, very proud!! I love it! :D :D

:cheers:

I'd love to have my car on there(I have tons of pics)!! I have an mpeg of it going 0-95 at 240,283 miles if you want that too!

Blake I would love to get some shots from your 95. Email me (on website) or PM me for uploading info.

• 1 month later...

Nice website mate

But:

I was under the belief that the UCF11, UCF21, UCF31 were the Domestic market models, (The japanese celsiors with airbags). You mentioned the following:

First Generation - LS400 = UCF10/11

Series I: 1990 - 1992 = UCF10

Series II: 1993 - 1994 = UCF11

I have a DEC1989 build Celsior and it is a UCF11, it says it on every documentation and plates inside the engine bay.

None the less i love your website especially the DIY stuff