Any Off-road Mods?

TexGX

Hey Guys,

The GX looks great with big rims, but I am more interested in making my GX perform better off-road. Anyone make mods to the GX to make it better where the black top ends. I am not finding alot of information on the web yet. I have personaly added a grill guard so far. I am thinking about a ARB Sahara bar, removing the running boards, roof rack, and adding a snorkel. Lets get these things dirty! :cheers:

• 4 weeks later...

Well you should be able to corrow a few things from the Toyota side of the house. The new 4Runner and GX is very similar in many ways, and also the Prado that sells overseas have the same body styling as the GX. Prado sells in Oz, homeland of ARB so they should be able to help you.

As i mentioned in another thread you can probably start by adding protection, bolt on sliders will be pretty good. See pics below. You might also consider upgrading the front skid plates to a more heavy duty single unit, this will add a lot more protection to the front, but will be a pain to remove for oil changes. There is currently no production skidplate on the market that will cover the transmission pan as well, so just be patient as they will come. Then next thing you might want to consider is to add a slight bit of lift for the GX, especially the front. The problem is that you probably want to maintain the current suspension so spacers will be the only way to go. The second problem is that if you add a heavy duty bumper like the ARB you tend to loose some lift on the front due to the weight. So you probably want to add 2.5" or so in the front and 1" or so in the back. You can contact these guys to see what they can do for you (I think we know each other from t4r.org I'm bulldog-yota there :) ) http://www.nitrousenterprises.com/

ARB will be bringing front and rear lockers to market this year as well, if you want to go that far. You can also inquire about a snorkel from them. Just contact their US office in Seattle.

Here are some pics of the sliders on a 4Runner, but should work perfectly with a GX. You can contact Ken Hanna for these http://www.hannaquality.com/

Image-728BC2F8344111D9.jpg

Image-728F4D30344111D9.jpg

Image-7298DCEA344111D9.jpg

Well you should be able to corrow a few things from the Toyota side of the house. The new 4Runner and GX is very similar in many ways, and also the Prado that sells overseas have the same body styling as the GX. Prado sells in Oz, homeland of ARB so they should be able to help you.

As i mentioned in another thread you can probably start by adding protection, bolt on sliders will be pretty good. See pics below. You might also consider upgrading the front skid plates to a more heavy duty single unit, this will add a lot more protection to the front, but will be a pain to remove for oil changes. There is currently no production skidplate on the market that will cover the transmission pan as well, so just be patient as they will come. Then next thing you might want to consider is to add a slight bit of lift for the GX, especially the front. The problem is that you probably want to maintain the current suspension so spacers will be the only way to go. The second problem is that if you add a heavy duty bumper like the ARB you tend to loose some lift on the front due to the weight. So you probably want to add 2.5" or so in the front and 1" or so in the back. You can contact these guys to see what they can do for you (I think we know each other from t4r.org I'm bulldog-yota there :) ) http://www.nitrousenterprises.com/

ARB will be bringing front and rear lockers to market this year as well, if you want to go that far. You can also inquire about a snorkel from them. Just contact their US office in Seattle.

Here are some pics of the sliders on a 4Runner, but should work perfectly with a GX. You can contact Ken Hanna for these http://www.hannaquality.com/

Image-728BC2F8344111D9.jpg

Image-728F4D30344111D9.jpg

Image-7298DCEA344111D9.jpg

bliksem,

The 4R looks great! I have contacted Hanna about the sliders, they want me to send them a picture of the frame. I contacted ARB about the GX and they told me that they did not know if the Prado stuff will work. The snorkel was for the turbo deisel. Where did you get the skidplate? I just went off-road in AZ and had no problem with the hieght of the GX(except the running boards). I am planning on a lift for the front, similiar to the TrailX concept after the warranty runs out. I have found a custom fabricator that maybe able to help if all else fails. Thanks for the info.

TexGX

Tex,

I dont have a skidplate yet. Some guys have made their own and either Downey or Demello has made some for the 4Runner (should fit the GX), but they dont cover the tranny pan.

Trust me at some point (very soon I think) you will want to lift a bit and upgrade the tires to 32" or 33" :D

A good start will be the sliders. I will let you know once I have figured something more out about the skid plate.

Enjoy!!

PS: Once you start modding you just can't stop.

Tex,

I dont have a skidplate yet. Some guys have made their own and either Downey or Demello has made some for the 4Runner (should fit the GX), but they dont cover the tranny pan.

Trust me at some point (very soon I think) you will want to lift a bit and upgrade the tires to 32" or 33" :D

A good start will be the sliders. I will let you know once I have figured something more out about the skid plate.

Enjoy!!

PS: Once you start modding you just can't stop.

I plan on doing most those type mods when the warnity exprires. I also have to keep the wife happy. It is "her" truck. I am happy with her letting me put the sliders on.

You can always have it modified a so 33" og 35" even a 38" tires for your GX.

post-13283-1104964914_thumb.jpg

LC90-120,

That Prado is wicked. Where did you find that picture?

TexGX

This picture is from www.fjallasport.is

Select Toyota select LC120 and select pictures 33" OR 35"

You can click on the pictures to enlarge it.

33" is quite common and rather easy.

www.arctictrucks.is is the largest in modifiation on Land Cruisers it owned by Toyota in Iceland and it web is partly in english.

sorry only old pictures on it web so I will send in some pictures.

LC90-120,

TexGX

www.arctictrucks.is is the largest in modifiation on Land Cruisers it owned by Toyota in Iceland and it web is partly in english.

LC90-120,

TexGX

38"

• 2 months later...
Check out: http://fourwheeler.com/projectbuild/129_0503_tlex/

I used to have a Toyota FJ80 outfitted just like that and have been itching to do this to my GX...As soon as the warranty expires, it's done!

Cheers,

Jason

I am using the Trailex as a guide. I am working on sliders now. I can not make my mind up about an ARB bumper.