M3 Or Sc300

I almost had my mind set on a 95-99 m3 when I thought about the sc.

Pros: I can find one cheaper spend more money modding.

Cheaper to fix

Toyota reliability

Looks a little better

Cons: m3 handles better

m3 is faster

has more snazy features

Can you turbo the non tt 2jz engine without engine mods and it being reliable? <_< and what common problems are there with these cars and do these cars handle decently. Oh yeah whats a stock / bolton quatermile time with a 5 spd sc300?

Well I think any opinion you'll get here will be biased. But as far as I'm concerned the SC is one of the more capable chassis out there. And if you've got money to throw at it the 2JZ (in GE or GTE form) is pretty limitless as far as HP is concerned.

I agree with your reliability statement (sister has 325is, has spent $25,000 in repairs in last few years. Mom and I have LS and SC400s and have spent a total of about $250 in the same amount of time and mileage).

I kinda like the more aerodynamic look of the SC myself, and I like the look of the California calty designed body.

Just my $.02 but I'd go SC or go home...

Aaron

yea im preaty bias and i would say the sc unless your getting the newest m3 but thats not the case here. its hard to get cars to turn like the 3, i would suggest a nice set of coilovers and sways and you will be cornering flatter and faster. bolt on turbo kits are available and reliability isnt really all that compramized, just you need to pay more attention to oil, temp,pressure and things like that. you can make a good 350hp to the wheels with low boost maybe 8-10lbs? but the kits are about 4-5grand so total cost is a factor but in the end you will have a car thats faster, looks better, and maybe even handles better but it will definitely ride better.

My Opinion.Aside from how fast or modding or whatever.Unless ur gonna get a pretty new M3,its gonna look old.One of the reasons i got an SC is cuz it still looks like a new car.Lexus kept the body from 92-00 and made a new style in 2002.

U can get a 93 M3 but everyone will know its old.Old BMWs look old to me as with the Benzs as well.With our SCs its kind of a mystery.Is it a 99 or a 92? See what im saying? Thats just my opinion.I have a 93 and the other day my aunt asked me what my monthly payment on finacing that car is :D

Personally which year E36 are you looking at?

as well as SC

2 or 4 door?

The SC is heavier feeling but 240 hp isnt that great a number although it handles nicely ,most have been beat up or high p0riced for collectors by now.

I drove a 94 E36m3 for a minute i had fun but it doens;t compare to anything more modern

funny enough it felt like a well balanced civic( their are very few of those around also)

Personally which year E36 are you looking at?

as well as SC

2 or 4 door?

The SC is heavier feeling but 240 hp isnt that great a number although it handles nicely ,most have been beat up or high p0riced for collectors by now.

I drove a 94 E36m3 for a minute i had fun but it doens;t compare to anything more modern

funny enough it felt like a well balanced civic( their are very few of those around also)

you drove a 94 m3? They only made them from 95-99 for e36 and 88-91 for e30.. You must of drove a 325 mtechnik which is just a lightweight 325. And C&D rated the m3 the best handling car for any price in 97.Im looking at the 2 door.

nope had a production date of 94 with the M3 sport seats (manual) badges on the fenders teg inside glove box motorsport rims m3 spoilers and kit including the engine

the Mtech is a nice vehicle but not as fast by far

can;t find the pics of the inspection i did on it so i can't post the vin and pics

nope had a production date of 94 with the M3 sport seats (manual) badges on the fenders teg inside glove box motorsport rims m3 spoilers and kit including the engine

the Mtech is a nice vehicle but not as fast by far

can;t find the pics of the inspection i did on it so i can't post the vin and pics

Oh your in england nevermind, you get the euro motor 285/330 (depending on year) HP!!

BMW's bite!! In my opinion, German engineering has long been far over-rated. I knew a guy a few years back who sold his SC400 to get one of the 525 or 5??..something. What a mess. Always in the shop. A real nightmare. He eventually went back to Lexus. The BMW's feel great right off the lot but fail to hold up, costing an arm and a leg to keep them going. I hear Porsche has much improved since the mid 80's. One Porsche I will end up getting is the 1983 911SC. That's one of the exceptions in my book. Very fun car. Not real fast but a real blast to drive. Bullet-proof dependability. Will give years of fun. In 1984 the 911 became far too computerized and dependability greatly suffered. I hear they are a lot better now, but they are water-cooled. Just not the same. Also, who has $110,000.00 laying around for a car. I'd get a used Ferrari for that. The only thing I would own from BMW would be one of their big all-terrain motorcycles. That's one area that they are true leaders in the industry. The only other great example of German engineering that comes to mind would be the Mercedes 5 cyl Deisel. It is actually studied in college engineering courses. Totally bullet-proof. Other than the above examples, nothing else really comes to mind. Their reputation as great engineers is way over-rated. The Japanese are excellent at copying and, in my opinion, further improving exsisting designs. Anyway, I try to avoid buying anything German or French if at all possible. OK... I've ranted on long enough.

agreed bart

take vanos a great idea which employs valve in the intake manifold to adjust airflow in the runners for a better torque band

But a bmw will handle very nicley and look nice as well.

nmo one ever said they were cheap to maintain

I know I'm new to the board here, but this was right up my alley since I have an E36 M3 and the SC. Anyway, I won't go through all the "The M3 is Gods gift to the world and if you don't buy one you're a moron." (that's what you will typically get on the E46 and E36 M3 forum), becuse frankly I don't believe that at all. I do think the M3 is a much better race car than the SC could ever possibly be. And the M3 does have features that are not present in the SC, but as far as a comfortable ride, the SC has the M3 beat. Funny thing is that you can easily get the S50 and S52 motor to over 420 horsepower with a Dinan Super Charger and a RMS After Cooler. The S50 (95-96) and S52 (97-99) are probably the most bullet-proof motors BMW has ever made. Funny that some people were saying to get the E46 M3 with the S54 motor. That is proving every day to be one of the most unreliable motors BMW has ever built. You can't put a race motor in a street car and expect it will last 100k without being rebuilt if you drive it hard. Anyway, my 2 cents about the BMW M3 vs the Lexus SC. Two totally different cars typically meant for two totally different kind of people. Good luck with your search. :cheers:

I know I'm new to the board here, but this was right up my alley since I have an E36 M3 and the SC.  Anyway, I won't go through all the "The M3 is Gods gift to the world and if you don't buy one you're a moron." (that's what you will typically get on the E46 and E36 M3 forum), becuse frankly I don't believe that at all.  I do think the M3 is a much better race car than the SC could ever possibly be.  And the M3 does have features that are not present in the SC, but as far as a comfortable ride, the SC has the M3 beat.  Funny thing is that you can easily get the S50 and S52 motor to over 420 horsepower with a Dinan Super Charger and a RMS After Cooler.  The S50 (95-96) and S52 (97-99) are probably the most bullet-proof motors BMW has ever made.  Funny that some people were saying to get the E46 M3 with the S54 motor.  That is proving every day to be one of the most unreliable motors BMW has ever built.  You can't put a race motor in a street car and expect it will last 100k without being rebuilt if you drive it hard.  Anyway, my 2 cents about the BMW M3 vs the Lexus SC.  Two totally different cars typically meant for two totally different kind of people.  Good luck with your search.  :cheers:

z8 dream can you aim me my s/n is supercharge33 i'd really like to ask a few questions since your opinion is unbiased and honest having best of both worlds :D or email me at andy2003@comcast.net with any messenger u have.