Window Motor/regulator?

silvermate

well fellas my window has messed up on me, recently it has been kinda surging when i rolled it up

.......and just this morning it is stuck about 2 inches from being all the way closed, and won't go all the way up, it will go back down and then back up to that 2 inch mark, but will not go past that........and when it reaches that point it makes a vibrating sound, (kind of like a cell phone on vibrate, sitting on your kitchen table or somthing) <_<

anyway have any of you guys fixed this b/f, i haven't had a chance to get into the door/ or switch to see, since it just happend this morning, i'll probably have to fix it this weekend......

what am i going after here?

1)faulty switch? (clean connectors/replace)

2) Motor

3)window regulator

to tell u the truth i think all of my windows are going out, they are starting to be really slow when i roll them up..and thats probabably the motor going out

heck its 12 years old...

what do you guys think the first plan of attack is?

My 94 LS had really slow windows when I got it last year. So I siliconed the hell out of the channels, and that improved the situation. Then, however, the switches got less sensitive, so I took out the drivers side controls, and cleaned the copper connectors, and sprayed electrical cleaner on the whole assembly. I find I need to do both procedures every six months or so, or the windows slow down.

I've never had a window stop before closing, however, so I hope the cleaning process is enough to alleviate your problem. Best of luck.

Here's a diag from my manual.......

Sounds like some sort of "limit switch" could be faulty....like it thinks the window is shut when actually 2" short...

Have you tried sticking a 2x4 in there and see if it retracts properly (child safety?)...

But yeah ...12 year old....motor could be a little weary.... :D

trou.pdf

thanks Tex and Agent for the suggestions............

i'll try cleaning the connections, ajusting the gaps, as well as the springs on the switches, and i'll see if the window regulator is still on the track as it should be...

after all that i should know what the problem is. <_<

the window rolls up and down like normal it just won't go up all the way to close, it stops 2" b/f its all the way closed, but heck i don't know i'll just have to get in there and hook up a voltage tester and just see whats going on in there...

anyway you look at it, none of my windows go up and down at the correct speed, so thats my project this weekend, i'll clean em all up and see what i can do.....

it'll be fun anway. :P i might make a tutorial if i can get it fixed

probalby need a new master switch though is what i'm thinking.....i've got a couple on my watch list on ebay, as well as i've contacted a couple of online Lexus part shops/salvage parts places for quotes

yeah i definately beleive its the window track, it will come up with assistance, but i think its just stripping the gear out or not catching on the regulator track

i'll get her fixed this weekend....

i'm still going to clean and adjust all my switches though. and replace the master switch, its just screwed up anyway.

thanks for all the suggestions guys, i appreciate it. :D

• 1 year later...

Hmm,

It seems all our older lexus window motors are finally going.. I guess it depends if you have to get a ticket at your work place and open the window twice a day..LOL..

Hey Bud, just went through all this , let me show you the light..

My car is a 1991 LS.. A few days ago, it rolled up and stopped about 2 inches shy of closing completely.. If you listed carefully to the motor, it goes the normal sound, but sort of pauses about every 2 seconds..It itn't like a constant steady elecrical motor hum, do you know what I am saying....

My brother is a mechanic so he told me window regulators wear out and the cables go bad over time..

SO I figured that was it.. Ordered a new Driver side power window regulator from Betts Lexus, $140.00 or so... TOok out the door skin, all the stuff, not that hard, then put the old motor in the new regulator, SAME problem..

What I don't understand, I looked at the curenline.net how to on the window regulator, I don't know what's going on, but in my 1991 lexus ls, there wasnt' any cables or white plastic pieces at all.. The window regulator was this arm with a big metal spring on it, the motor screwed into the metal arm with 3 metal screws and the motor had a plug'in.. Then 2 screws that attached to the bottom of the window..

THERE were no cables at all.. It was all this spring driven arm and the motor and that was it.. Of course you have the buttons on the window, that ride in the track in the door, but I definitely do not have any cables in my car..

ANYWAYS back to the fix.. Put back in the old regulator, A new power window motor from lexus is $380 dollars.. OUCH..

I got on ebay and bought a power window motor for $50 and rolled the dice that it wasn't worn out, and put it back into my old window regulator, and it works perfect...... Took back the new regulator from lexus and ended up spending only $50 to fix my window....

I don't see how theses regulators wear out as this spring was very heavy duty..... THe electrical motor must have been broken inside or something....

The window would roll up to about half way and yo could grab the window and then it would start again.. but then get stuck about 2 inches again.. But the new one is smooth as silk, rolls up nice and smooth and faast.. I forgotten how fast the factory motor was cuz mine must have been pretty worn out..

So yes, even on a lexus, these motors do wear out with everyday up and down use..

I almost guarantee it's the electrical motor, sounds like something is broken in the motor.. Also I remember when the window would get stuck, and you pulled it up, it would pop.. It would pop and pow, thenit would go back up, had to be quick with the hand..LOL

Hmm,

Though if you say all your window are going up slow then mgiht me the master switch... Cuz all 3 of my windows were faster than the driver window.. I replaced the driver motor and all 4 are about the same speed..