Ls430 Shift Pattern Fix Available

Mandingo

I just got a call from my dealer - apparently there is a software shift pattern upgrade that they are just rolling out now to improve the low speed jerkiness/hesitation of the 6-speed transmissions.

This was the last remaining issue I had with my LS430 - if this really does fix the problem I will be one happy camper.

I'll know by Friday evening.

I just got a call from my dealer - apparently there is a software shift pattern upgrade that they are just rolling out now to improve the low speed jerkiness/hesitation of the 6-speed transmissions.

This was the last remaining issue I had with my LS430 - if this really does fix the problem I will be one happy camper.

Please post a response to your visit to the dealership, as I, like you, will be one happy camper if Lexus provides a fix to this problem which has bugged me for 12 months.

Will do. There is a TSB being issued shortly on this so the problem and solution should be familiar to all dealers soon.

Fingers crossed this addresses it.

Please post a response to your visit to the dealership, as I, like you, will be one happy camper if Lexus provides a fix to this problem which has bugged me for 12 months.

Don't get too excited, they did this for the ES/RX and it didn't help.

I had the software upgrade completed this morning and have completed one 20 mile journey back from the dealer to my office.

As anyone with this problem knows the symptoms are somewhat intermittent - some days it can be better than others - so I would treat this preliminary feedback with a little caution.

If I were to answer the simple question: "Is it better after the change?" the answer would be yes.

Do I still experience the hesitation/jerkiness at low speeds (accelerating in traffic at or below 10mph)? It appears to be better.

It also appears to have made an improvement at higher speeds, seemingly being the right gear more often as I respond to changing traffic conditions, giving the impression of more smoothness.

One thing that I realized is that I am sensitized to the problem and so it might take me a little while to "unlearn" this and just drive normally - if I can forget to think about accelerator position as I drive then I will judge this upgrade a complete success.

I will update my impressions over the next few days as I put more miles on the car.

UPDATE:

I have put 100 miles on the car since the software update and the good news is that the car is noticably smoother than before across the entire speed range.

Low speed driving around town is now a pleasure - slow speed corners now seem effortless with no sense of being in too low a gear - cruising around parking lots looking for a space are no longer a feather-the-throttle balancing act.

10mph pick up is easier - I wouldn't say it's perfect but it is significantly easier to coast and go than before.

As others have pointed out resetting the ECU can have a positive (temporary) effect and so I need to drive it another week before being 100% convinced this has resolved the problem, but so far so good.

• 4 weeks later...
UPDATE:

I have put 100 miles on the car since the software update and the good news is that the car is noticably smoother than before across the entire speed range.

Low speed driving around town is now a pleasure - slow speed corners now seem effortless with no sense of being in too low a gear - cruising around parking lots looking for a space are no longer a feather-the-throttle balancing act.

10mph pick up is easier - I wouldn't say it's perfect but it is significantly easier to coast and go than before.

As others have pointed out resetting the ECU can have a positive (temporary) effect and so I need to drive it another week before being 100% convinced this has resolved the problem, but so far so good.

Ok, so far we only have results from one owner. Anyone else? Can you please provide the TSB number?

Regards...

The TSB number on my service record says "Reburn ECM PER TSIB TC006-04"

I have no idea of the accuracy of these numbers nor what they mean......only what is reflected on my service record.

I returned to the dealer for the Navigation "fix" on 12/28/04. When setting up the appointment, I asked the service rep to check for a new "fix" for the transmission. His reply was "we know of no fix available". I referred him to postings on this website.

Miraculously, when I arrived the appointment a week later, the technician said "we also have a fix for your transmission." Interesting. ;)

Results: I have been pleased to date. I have been one of the chronic complainers of this electronic throttle malady, and I don't wish to get prematurely enthusiastic about the fix. So far, however, I have noted a vast improvement in the smoothness at lower speeds, and I have tried to put the vehicle in circumstances which caused the jerkiness.

The "reburn ECM" language on the service record reminded me of what was attempted six or seven months ago..........after driving my vehicle, the technician said he would "reset" the computer........whatever that meant. I only hope that a "reburn" is not the same as a "resetting". We'll see. Maybe Lexus DOES indeed listen to owners and read these postings.

I have no idea of the accuracy of these numbers nor what they mean......only what is reflected on my service record.

I returned to the dealer for the Navigation "fix" on 12/28/04.  When setting up the appointment, I asked the service rep to check for a new "fix" for the transmission.  His reply was "we know of no fix available".  I referred him to postings on this website.

Miraculously, when I arrived the appointment a week later, the technician said "we also have a fix for your transmission."  Interesting. ;)

Results:  I have been pleased to date.  I have been one of the chronic complainers of this electronic throttle malady, and I don't wish to get prematurely enthusiastic about the fix.  So far, however, I have noted a vast improvement in the smoothness at lower speeds, and I have tried to put the vehicle in circumstances which caused the jerkiness.

The "reburn ECM" language on the service record reminded me of what was attempted six or seven months ago..........after driving my vehicle, the technician said he would "reset" the computer........whatever that meant.  I only hope that a "reburn" is not the same as a "resetting".  We'll see.  Maybe Lexus DOES indeed listen to owners and read these postings.

That sounds like a TSB number to me (TC006-04). Thanks! I haven't received a letter about the Navigation fix yet, but when I do, I'll be sure to mention this TSIB to them as well!

• 1 month later...

I returned to the dealer for the Navigation "fix" on 12/28/04.  When setting up the appointment, I asked the service rep to check for a new "fix" for the transmission.  His reply was "we know of no fix available".  I referred him to postings on this website.

Miraculously, when I arrived the appointment a week later, the technician said "we also have a fix for your transmission."  Interesting. ;)

Results:  I have been pleased to date.  I have been one of the chronic complainers of this electronic throttle malady, and I don't wish to get prematurely enthusiastic about the fix.  So far, however, I have noted a vast improvement in the smoothness at lower speeds, and I have tried to put the vehicle in circumstances which caused the jerkiness.

The "reburn ECM" language on the service record reminded me of what was attempted six or seven months ago..........after driving my vehicle, the technician said he would "reset" the computer........whatever that meant.  I only hope that a "reburn" is not the same as a "resetting".  We'll see.  Maybe Lexus DOES indeed listen to owners and read these postings.

That sounds like a TSB number to me (TC006-04). Thanks! I haven't received a letter about the Navigation fix yet, but when I do, I'll be sure to mention this TSIB to them as well!

Well - it's been a while. Anyone else get the TSB for the shift lag? Is it still working ok for those who've had it installed?

Stuart.

Well - it's been a while. Anyone else get the TSB for the shift lag? Is it still working ok for those who've had it installed?

Stuart.

I've had the fix on my car since the first of the year and I've had no problems what so ever. So far, I am very pleased with the way it shifts and the response time.

I just got mine done 2 days ago while having my 15K service and DVD nav update. I mentioned that my ls430 hesitate some time in response to the acceleration. My service consultant looked up the computer and said that there is a software update to the shift pattern and perhaps that may fix the problem. I have it for 2 days now and very happy. NO MORE HESSITATION.

I am the original thread starter. It has now been 2 months since the fix and I would say the problem is 95% resolved.

Still a few occasions where the throttle doesn't feel "quite right" compared to a drive-by-cable but otherwise it's a transformed experience from before the software change and a totally transformed vehicle.

I am now really enjoying the car and I would strongly recommend the upgrade.

I have also switched out the 18" tires from the horrible OEM Bridgestone Turanza's to a set of Continental ContiExtremeContact and the car rides better and significantly quieter than before.

It's all coming together nicely ... B)