Updating Nav Dvd 2001 Ls 430, Help?

wine4et

I just purchased a certified 2001 LS430 with the original NAV DVD.

I ordered the updated DVD from the local dealer. They want 150-200 to install the new DVD? Is this something I can do? Don't you remove the old one and replace it with the new one or is there more to it? I think the DVD is located in the trunk right behind the rear seat.

Any comments are appreciated.

Thanks

Eric

According to this post it is easy:  http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...7&hl=navigation. Contact one of members that did it themselves. Try doing a search next time before posting...there are a handful of answers. I hope this helps.

mine is a 2001 as well and YOU CANNOT upgrade it yourself. later model years you can but for 2001 there is programming that the dealer has to do. it does store your current settings though and updates the graphics and POI listings et al.

• 1 month later...
Where did you hear that? Nothing changed between 2001 and subsequent years, its the exact same system.

Hi, I also have a 2001 LS430 with navigation. I just bought an updated DVD disk version 3.2 but I am having problems updating. When I put in this new disk, a message comes up on the navigation display saying" Read disk error. Check your disk". I made sure the new disk (v3.2) was clean but got this error message in all 3 tries. When I put in the old disk (v2000.1); everything worked fine just like before.

digital_b, could you please give me more information about what you said about required programming by the dealer? Did you have this done? How much did it cost you?

Any help/pointer from any forum user is greatly appreciated.

• 1 month later...

I believe 3.2 is for Gen IV systems. 2001-2003 is for Gen III, just picked up the latest update .04 is the latest. Make sure the second set of #s on the CD is 3303x not 3304x which is gen iv

Where did you hear that? Nothing changed between 2001 and subsequent years, its the exact same system.

Hi, I also have a 2001 LS430 with navigation. I just bought an updated DVD disk version 3.2 but I am having problems updating. When I put in this new disk, a message comes up on the navigation display saying" Read disk error. Check your disk". I made sure the new disk (v3.2) was clean but got this error message in all 3 tries. When I put in the old disk (v2000.1); everything worked fine just like before.

digital_b, could you please give me more information about what you said about required programming by the dealer? Did you have this done? How much did it cost you?

I just did this last week..took a whole 5 minutes.

take out two screws, lift DVD player, click eject. Put in new DVD, let it program (Japanese characters are cool). Once done it will tell you. Cost = $250 for DVD from dealer. The dealer that tells you that they have to do it is either a numskull or a ripoff arist.

Did my accross the street from the dealer in the Ollie's parking lot, used the screwdriver with in the Lexus toolkit

My $.02

According to this post it is easy:   http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...7&hl=navigation. Contact one of members that did it themselves. Try doing a search next time before posting...there are a handful of answers. I hope this helps.

mine is a 2001 as well and YOU CANNOT upgrade it yourself. later model years you can but for 2001 there is programming that the dealer has to do. it does store your current settings though and updates the graphics and POI listings et al.

This is for a Gen IV system, it will not work.