Two Questions

chrispiss

hey dudes I have two questions:

1) I went to lexus and they quoted me $350 for a new remote key. That's ridiculous. I would much rather just go with a nice aftermarket alarm. I found a few with lots of extra toys for around $500, and to me the extra cash would be worth it since they come with shock sensors and such. My question is, can you install an aftermarket alarm on a car with a factory alarm? I wouldn't do it myself, it would be done at car toys or something.

2) I was just wondering if that leather treatment stuff you can buy is good or bad for the leather. I've heard armor-all is terrible and should never be used, but what about leather treatment goo or oil or whatever? I want to preserve the interior as well as possible and I don't want to prematurely warp or crack the leather.

Thanks!

Not to step on your toes but as leather cleaners and conditioners go Meguiars isn't fantastic. It has a lot to do with the fact that:

A. The products clean and condition in one step. Whenever you buy a product that does two things at once (for any purpose, not just your car) it will do niether of them as well as two specific products. Thats why hairstylists tell you never to use combination shampoo/conditioners.

B. They're too thick to be effective. Modern leather is coated and this coating is a plastic material with little holes so the leather can breathe. The cream conditioners like from Meguiars are so thick they can't seep through these very very small holes to get to the leather. So with a cream conditioner like Meguiars you may be softening the COATING but not the leather underneath.

Thats why products like Lexol work so well, the conditioner is thin and its a two part system.