Vibration

I just bought some new Toyo tires a month ago for my SC300. After that, I noticed a vibration when driving at 45 MPH or above. I have moved the tires around to try to isolate which is the problem, but have not been able to find it. The tires have been rebalanced, but that did not help.

The tire shop says that it is not the tires, that it is the universal on the driveshaft.

I am not convinced. I am very convinced that the vibration started when I got the new tires.

Here's my question - can the driveshaft (or something else) cause this vibration all of a sudden and how can I test for it? Any other ideas?

I spend 2.5 to 3 hours in my car everyday at highway speed, so I am pretty in tune with its operation.

I think I may go back to the tire shop and tell him I'll pay him to mount a new set. If the vibration is still there, I eat the labor. If the vibration is gone, he takes care of it.

Thoughts??

Tom

Sounded like a tire related problem to me (only happen over 45 mph); possibly the steel belt inside a tire! I would try and see if a known good set of tires is swap to see if the problem goes away; try to convince the tire people or if you have any friend with the same wheels/tires. Good luck!

It is easy to tell if it is the drive shaft! Put the car on a hoist. remove the rear wheels/tires, with someone in the drivers seat, start the motor, put the vehicle in drive and spin the axles to the problem speed. If it is a drive shaft, you be able to feel it, and you will be able to see it from below. With that you will either know it was the tires or the drive shaft. :P By putting one wheel on at a time and spinning it that tire, you may be able to tell which wheels are out of balance. You may also consider having the tires balanced on a Hunter 9700 Road Force measuring balancing machine. The road force balancing machine measures stiff spots in the tires which can make them feel out of balance. For more info on the 9700 do a Google search.

Enjoy!