keeping the engine clean

Hi Ben

Is it grease or dust.

I've heard a few people say that they've put degreaser on their engines and they sprayed it (quickly) with a presuure washer to rinse it - I'm not sure I'd do that to mine though.

You might consider periodic steam cleaning??

I usually just use a damp cloth when the engine is cold and get in there and clean it.

Let us know how you get on

• 8 months later...

You guys are funny. Water on the engine will not harm anything. I called the dealership once with that question and they laughed and said it's only a car, water won't hurt it. I sprayed my engine down with degreaser and sprayed it at the car wash. It looks great and runs even better. The dealership was going to charge me $30 bucks for the same thing.

You guys are funny.  Water on the engine will not harm anything.

true - sort of.

you need to be careful of the electrics - cover up the alternator and battery connector.

water and electricity do not play well togther at all.

As long as you but plastic bags over the electrics, and secure it well with ties / elastic bands - then blast away with the jet washer!

After wipping off dust and dirt with a damp cloth, I use "Engine Detailer" (silver can) from Autozone. Not only makes all black plastic and rubber surfaces shine like new, but it also protects by adding a coat of silicone to prevent cracking. Just spray on. No need to wipe it and for only $4.00 your engine will look like a pro detailer. :)

After wipping off dust and dirt with a damp cloth, I use "Engine Detailer" (silver can) from Autozone.  Not only makes all black plastic and rubber surfaces shine like new, but it also protects by adding a coat of silicone to prevent cracking.  Just spray on. No need to wipe it and for only $4.00 your engine will look like a pro detailer. :)

hmmmmmmm - wonder if we can get stuff like this in the UK....?

• 1 month later...

I just brought my used 2001 GS 430 home on Friday. Looked like the engine bay had been detailed in the last six months buy someone with a whole can of armor-all. Wow - does that slimey stuff attract dust and dirt. This morning I just washed it with dish soap (would normally use a more mild car wash) but it was a greasy mess. Now it is cherry! Like new. I have been using car wash soap for years on my Corvette and other cars engines. Never had a problem. I use a garden hose and don't mess with covering the electronics - Quality of this Lexus stuff is very impressive - If I have not had problems with my Chevy or Olds - certainly won't with this.

I would avoid strong degreasers (dish soap is pretty strong) - I think it may suck oils out of the rubber parts and may promote dry rotting??

• 2 weeks later...
How do you guys keep your engines so clean just like the day you bought them? Mine is already dirty. Anyone know any ideas on how to clean the engine bay and keep it clean?

This my friend is a never ending ordeal. I am always cleaning my car so i have just made the engine area a normal stage of cleaning. I first start it off with a wet rad and end it with Maguires Shine. It works very well.