Tires For Rx300

WW2

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree with you on the above - and yes, I may order from tirerack - thanks for the input. Also, I know people in this group c/o about the Bridgestone Duelers H/T's (OE) but they do have a new tire H/L Alenza that is rated very high and recommended at tirerack (but they are presently out of stock also...)

When you're looking at the ratings on tirerack be sure to look at the # of miles reported, new tires look markedly better than older tires simply because there are less surveys to compare them to.

I just replaced my noisy, rough, Kelly Safaris (only about 42K out of them...rotated every 5K) with Mich. LTX/MS yesterday. All I can say is WOW!! I wondered where that nice smooth & quiet ride went. I was going to go for the Cross Terrains, but they were hard to find in the area and my parents LX has the LTX/MS tires on it and they seemed like a quiet tire. I hope they last a little longer than the Kellys did...but if not I can handle it because at least my car is quiet and smooth again!!!

Has anyone tried the pep boys Futura Adventure? It costs less than half than Mich. I used Futura on my cadillac and they are fine tires. The original Mich worked great also and lasted about 80K. I am shopping for 4 tires for 2002 RX300 with 40K.

Be careful sharing tires with a Cadillac. Cadillacs and Lincolns aren't very dependent on the tires because they have a lot of sound deadening to block tire noise. Lexus don't, Lexus are designed to be quiet WITHOUT sound deadening, but that means you've got to be careful with the tires you choose or they can ruin the ride.

I wouldn't put PepBoys tires on a Lexus...

I asked the sales rep from the tire store if he had any other recommendations on tires...and he said his experience with the LTX/MS has been wonderful and would recommend no other tire (I know, he is a sales guy). He also thought I would get better life out of the LTXs than the cross terrains....but I don't know about that and it wasn't the deciding factor for me. He emphasized the same thing Steve did in the above post.....and I wasn't for sure if he was telling the truth (about Caddy/Lincoln/etc.) until I read what Steve posted. I have had tires that are loud and negatively affected the ride on my Lexus (Kelly Safari)...and didn't want to make that mistake again. I figure if I only spend $40 more per tire and know I am getting quality that I am making a pretty good decision. My Kelly Safaris were $98/tire and the Mich. LTXs were $134/tire. I can live with that difference.

Yep, it is absolutely true. If you tear down a Lexus and tear down a Lincoln, Lincolns have FAR more sound deadening than a Lexus. Thats why tires don't matter as much on a Lincoln. Lexus focuses on making each component of the car make little noise, low drag, silent engines and smooth engine mounts etc whereas Cadillac and Lincoln cover up noises made by less sophisticated equipment.

I decided on the cross terrains over the LTX's because Sears was currently having an awesome sale on the CT's - bringing the price lower than the LTX's.....same price as tirerack - and able to pick up that day (however, I brought them to my mechanic to install them and do a 4 wheel alignment - which cost more but I knew he would do a good job) - so far so good.

I had some of the Michelin XC LT4s from Sears on an explorer and thought they were great. I was a lot younger and didn't pay as much attention to them, but they lasted for about 70K. Even my wife had a fit over how much more quiet the car is....and she isn't one to notice.

I found an article in Conmuser Reports November '04 that rate 22 "light truck tires". They weigh and value criteria that includes: dry braking, wet braking handling, handling, hydoplaning rolling resistance, snow traction, ice braking, ride, and noise. Their top 5 were Goodyear Fortera HL Ed., Pirelli Scorpion STR A, Hankook DynaPro AS RHO3, Kelly Safari Sig., Dayton Timberline HT.

Michelin' s ratings were XC LT4 (Sears) #15, LTX M/S #17 and Cross Terrain #19. Toyo Open Counrty M410 was #10 and Yokohama Geolander H/T-s G051 was #18.

Based on Consumer Reports, the opioions of Lexus Owners Club members and other information it looks like Cross Terrains for me.

#19 out of 22??

Why would you still choose the Cross Terrains? Are consumer reports wrong?

Thx. :o

I found an article in Conmuser Reports November '04 that rate 22 "light truck tires". They weigh and value criteria that includes: dry braking, wet braking handling, handling, hydoplaning rolling resistance, snow traction, ice braking, ride, and noise. Their top 5 were Goodyear Fortera HL Ed., Pirelli Scorpion STR A, Hankook DynaPro AS RHO3, Kelly Safari Sig., Dayton Timberline HT.

Michelin' s ratings were XC LT4 (Sears) #15, LTX M/S #17 and Cross Terrain #19. Toyo Open Counrty M410 was #10 and Yokohama Geolander H/T-s G051 was #18.

Based on Consumer Reports, the opioions of Lexus Owners Club members and other information it looks like Cross Terrains for me.

#19 out of 22??

Why would you still choose the Cross Terrains? Are consumer reports wrong?

Thx. :o

When i saw that I thought the same thing - but after reading about tires on this forum i learned that our premium SUV is not like regular SUV's and light trucks - so even though the Michelin's were lower on the list (many didn't make the lsit at all) they are best for our car - would be interesting to see a consumer guide ratiing specifically for tires for premium SUV's. Also - some of the tires on their list do not even come in the size that we need.

• 4 months later...

Got the Geolanders installed for $511.00 out the door with lifetime rotation and balance, this also included $40.00 shipping. I haven't even got to drive the 300 yet but the wife said they are nice compared to the stock Bridgestones. They are a little more aggressive than I thought they looked in the pictures. Outline white letters to the inside. Very nice looking tire. Going to Puerto Vallarta for a week and taking the 300 to the airport so I'll finally get to drive it. Let you know how they ride and sound when I get back on the 5th.

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...

Back from PV, the tires are much nicer than the OEM Bridgestones. I hear more wind noise in the windshield area now with less tire noise LOL, also smoother on the rough paved road to my house. So far a very nice tire, when I get to try them out on a mountain road I'll report back.

Jeff

After considerable research we went with the Yokohama Geolander H/TS G051 as well. $348.84 from tirerack.com incld shipping, after install, balance, and 4 wheel alignment we paid out a combined total of $533.11.

The tires look sharp and feel nice on the road. I will report back on how they wear later on. For now, we are very happy with these tires. Today we got soaked with the tropical depression Cindy and they performed great in the rain.

I'm looking for recomendations for new tires for my 2001 RX300. I need tires that will preform well on snow and ice.

I'm not sure what to recommend for a summer tire, I just had a real bad experience with a set of Continental Contitrac SUV's.

For winter here in Upstate NY (170" of snow per year) I've been running the Michelin Arctic Alpins and they are a great all-around winter tire, quiet too for a snow tire. They made less noise than the Continentals.

Good Luck!