Low Oil Level Warning Light

molocka12

While driving my 97 LX 450 this past week I notice the low level warning light on my dash board light up for about 30 seconds on two separate occasions {My oil level is good & I use Mobil 1 Truck & SUV synthetic oil 5 - 40 & a K&N oil filter}

Each time it did this it was about 2 miles from when I first started driving it in the morning. I let my truck idle for about 5 minutes before I drive it each morning. Is this a sign of a potential problem or just a malfunction of the computer?

Thanks in advance for any help you might offer.

Tony

Most of the time it's an indication that your oil level is low. Since you already checked yours and it's okay, then it's most likely the sensor in the cap. Some sensors go bad. Hasn't happened to me, but I've heard of several people who have had that same problem. I don't recall the sensor being too expensive.

If you replace the sensor and it's still an issue -- or better yet, if you want to confirm what I just said, post this same question on the ih8mud.com 80 series forum. The guys there are a bit more technical. Do report back here what you found though which ever way you choose to go.

Hmm... mine went on a couple of weeks ago for a brief minute, topped her off and hasn't come on since.

I guess your oil level sensor could be going bad, although I don't believe I've heard of that much. Might try unplugging the connector and cleaning off the contacts to see if that helps. The oil level sensor bolts into the drivers side of the upper oil pan with two bolts. You can remove it pretty easy and see what it looks like, and clean off the contacts on the sensor and the plug. May help, and doesn't cost you anything.

Rookie.

Thanks guys for your input. I'm getting old. My eyes are not what they use to be.I recheck my oil level & although it is not down to the Low level on the dip stick it is about 1/2" above it. I will top off tonight.

Is it normal to use that amount of oil for 1700 miles?

I am guessing it will take a quart to a quart & a half to bring it back to the full line.

Thanks guys for your input. I'm getting old. My eyes are not what they use to be.I recheck my oil level & although it is not down to the Low level on the dip stick it is about 1/2" above it. I will top off tonight.

Is it normal to use that amount of oil for 1700 miles?

I am guessing it will take a quart to a quart & a half to bring it back to the full line.

For some reason I'm thinking the amount of oil it takes to go from the Low line to the Full line is 1 quart. I'd try a half of a quart first and see where that gets you. If you are loosing a quart to quart and a half every 1700 miles, then yes that's to much IMHO. I've have read several other cases of folks having high consumption issues when they switch to synthetic.

:cheers:

Rookie

OK I added 1 quart of oil but notice little change on the dip stick maybe an 1/8" difference.

I will check the oil level again in the morning to see if it reads differently.

I have the larger K& N oil filter on my truck it took 7 quarts of oil to the fill line. I have posted this problem about the wrong oil filter sent to me in the past as the large filter not recommend by K&N. They said it was for the 96 LX 450 but recommend the small oil filter for the 97. Just to make things more complicated after adding the K&N oil & air filter my gas mileage is averaging 11.75 MPG. I was getting 13.4 before I change the air & oil filter & switch to synthetic oil go figure.

I had this exact same problem recently. About two miles from my house, the oil light came on every morning. I had just changed my oil and switched to Mobil 5w30 syth. I also switched to the larger oil filter.

Sure enough, I was a quart low on oil due to the larger oil filter.

I now have to put 9 quarts of oil in the truck to reach the full line on the dipstick.

I have the larger K& N oil filter on my truck it took 7 quarts of oil to the fill line.

The FSM indicates 7.5 quarts w/ oil filter change and 7.3 w/o filter change. I find that I need just a bit under 8 with the small filter. Keep in mind, on the initial fill, not much goes in the filter. I would thing the big filter could add a 1/4 quart more to this equation.

Rookie

Yes indeed

I actually put 8 quarts of oil in but could not see where the new oil stop on the dip stick Because the manual said around 7.5 quarts I did not want to overfill.Perhaps I was about a quart short from the get go.

I will pay much better attention the next oil change which I plan on doing every 5000 miles. Any suggestions on how to get better MPG I average 11.75 mpg I installed new spark plugs my tire pressure is at 32 psi all around. My truck going 70 mph the tack reads 2400. Maybe it is that dam 10% additive they put in the gas here in NY.

it could be the additive in the gas -- but that's a huge drop in mpg!

your oil consumption (if it is actually oil consumption) seems a bit high too...but I'd guess it's actually the oil filter sucking some in. If it was me...I'd check the oil level for a couple weeks to make sure it's not burning oil.

Personally, I like to use the OEM (Toyota) oil filters...there's a large one for the 450 that's made in Japan (the others are made in Thailand) that I use.

Your mpg is around what mine is...and I have huge bumpers in the front and rear and am running very large tires.

Gas mileage goes down in the winter with that ethenol they add.

Also the low oil light comes on when your only a quart low, mine has come on many times its sensetive, but soon as I add oil its gone.

I burn around a quart every 2500 miles. Seems ok to me.

Also the low oil light comes on when your only a quart low, mine has come on many times its sensetive, but soon as I add oil its gone.

I burn around a quart every 2500 miles. Seems ok to me.

I use the Toyota oil filter (new one) and my truck takes right at 8.5 quarts to get it to the full line after a complete oil change. This is what the FSM states (I think). The manual states the amount of oil from the low line to the full line is 1.6 quarts (aproximately). My truck has a bit of a consumption issue also. No smoke at start up or anything but I seem to burn about a quart every 1600-1800 miles. Not what I wanted for a Toyota Truck with only 80k but it seems to be the case. Some seem to do this and some do not. The PO of my truck did not keep up with the fluid maintance (I think so anyway). I have about 3000 miles on Mobil 1 Truck & SUV. I have another 2 cases of this stuff and I plan to use it up. I have heard from the IH8MUD site that Rotella T Full synthitic (Group III base oil) 5W-40 is really good and reduces the consumption issue some. I may try it down the road.

Good luck

Andrew

DougJohn2, it is doing much better. I had to have the head gasket replaced and have the head surfaced. That fixed the oil/coolant leak. At the same time I had to have the head/throttle body cleaned of Carbon. It was plugged up real bad. I replaced the 3 components of the EGR system and that fixed the CEL. However, it still knocked real bad even on 93 octane. When they pulled the head off, the mechanic showed me the EGR port on the intake. It was totally plugged with carbon.

Now that I have all of this done, it drives great. Even runs on regular gas like it is supposed to do. For the first time, I am enjoying this truck. Now that I have practically restored it, I will keep it for a very long time (as long as not many more surprises).

Thanks for asking as it was a real mess for a while.

Andrew

My truck has a bit of a consumption issue also. No smoke at start up or anything but I seem to burn about a quart every 1600-1800 miles. Not what I wanted for a Toyota Truck with only 80k but it seems to be the case. Some seem to do this and some do not.

Good luck

Andrew

Andrew

My truck does smoke at start up but it is white smoke I believe it to be condensation the kind of smoke you see often on cold mornings from many cars.

I see the start up smoke in the warm weather as well. Once the truck warms up the smoke disappears.