Small Oil Leak On Right Side Of Engine

skotter57

I took my 1996 ES 300 in to have the alignment done and they told me that the car has an oil leak. It has 90k on it right now. I got under the car and saw the oil but could not find the origin.

When I first bought the car, I found a similar leak and it looks like they replaced the rear valve cover. Here is what is on the receipt.

R&R V.C. /Intake Plenum Gaskets

I assume but am not sure that means the Rear Head Gasket.

If that has been replaced, does anyone have any idea as to what else might be leaking. I am a Honda guy and Honda's don't generally get oil leaks...so I am new at this:-)

Your receipt indicates that the valve cover gasket has been replaced, which tends to be one of the more common sources of oil leaks in the '92-'96 ES. I believe that gasket is located under the valve cover of the engine, and it is not too expensive to replace.

Another source is the rear main seal, which can be very expensive to replace from the dealership (in the range of $800 or more). I'm not exactly sure where the rear main seal can be found under your car, but the answer can probably be found by doing a search for "rear main seal". Hope this helps.

I took my 1996 ES 300 in to have the alignment done and they told me that the car has an oil leak.  It has 90k on it right now.  I got under the car and saw the oil but could not find the origin.

When I first bought the car, I found a similar leak and it looks like they replaced the rear valve cover.  Here is what is on the receipt.

R&R V.C. /Intake Plenum Gaskets

I assume but am not sure that means the Rear Head Gasket.

If that has been replaced, does anyone have any idea as to what else might be leaking.  I am a Honda guy and Honda's don't generally get oil leaks...so I am new at this:-)

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Hondas don't get oil leaks? that's the funniest thing I have herd in a long time. I have had lots of Hondas from cars to street bikes to dirt bikes and they all liked to leak

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

but you should get some engine cleaner and clean the engine this way you can get a better idea were it is coming from. if you still can not tell there is ultraviolet die that can be added to the oil and then take a black light and move it around the engine and you can see were it is coming from real quick

Since you had your rear valve cover gasket replaced due to an oil leak, the oil leak you are now seeing may be just oil residue that wasn't cleaned off the lower areas of the engine after the valve cover gasket job. Are you actually seeing the leaking/dripping of oil under the car, i.e. seeing fresh oil drops on the ground/driveway? You can try an engine degreasing to clean off the area for better visual inspection. As mentioned, rear main seal is a suspect (Lexus quoted me est. $665p&l rear main seal) and its a huge job. I obviously had F&R valve cover gasket leaks on my 95ES and Lexus also said rear main seal leaked too but I only changed the valve cover gaskets and never the main seal. Oil leak problem solved!

Since you had your rear valve cover gasket replaced due to an oil leak, the oil leak you are now seeing may be just oil residue that wasn't cleaned off the lower areas of the engine after the valve cover gasket job.  Are you actually seeing the leaking/dripping of oil under the car, i.e. seeing fresh oil drops on the ground/driveway?  You can try an engine degreasing to clean off the area for better visual inspection.  As mentioned, rear main seal is a suspect (Lexus quoted me est. $665p&l rear main seal) and its a huge job.  I obviously had F&R valve cover gasket leaks on my 95ES and Lexus also said rear main seal leaked too but I only changed the valve cover gaskets and never the main seal. Oil leak problem solved!

the rear main seal is the seal between the trasnmission and the engine. its the Main seal on the beack of the engine. your oil leak is on the wrong side of the motor to be a rear main seal leak. they leak from the left side. on a RWD car, the seal is in the rear of the motor, on out cars,since the engine is side-to-side mounted, its on the left.

on my engine, from the right side is the cmashaft and crankshaft seals. these shoudlbe done with the timing belt change. also the oil pump seal on mine is leaking. any one of these could be your issue. is your car smoking from the engine bay??

how can we forget this one ArmyofOne  ;) .. change your PCV valve if its still using the original. At 90K miles, it's overdue for a change.

yes, i forgot that...

DO change that. im sorry i am so adamant about that, but that, coupled with tranny fluid changes are the 2 MOST overlooked maint. items by the average consumer.

ill just put this in my sig:

CHANGE YOUR PCV VALVE EVERY 65,000 MILES

thats what caused my $200-$2500 worth of oil leaks...