Changing Transmission Fluid On An Rx300?

GAguitar

I just yesterday went to the ONLY Toyota dealership in the area and asked for T-IV fluid so I could change mine. The guy tried to sell me Penzoil Dexron and said it's all they use. He claimed they didn't even have any T-IV there! and this is at the DEALERSHIP! Amazing!!!

The next closest Toyota/Lexus dealership is like 50 miles away. :censored:

Thats crazy.....I have had many people (not on this forum) tell me that I can flush the tranny out and replace it with other (non-toyota) tranny fluids. I smile, tell them thank you, and walk away. Other fluid may work just fine, but not for me. I have heard too many horror stories.

I have an 01' RX300 with 37,000 and I want to change the transmission fliud myself but don't know how. Where is the drain plug? Where do I add the new fluid? How many quarts do I need?

I appreciate any help.

Typically, all you need to do is drive up on ramps (Rhino ramps are excellent), remove a drain plug (driver's side in most vehicles) from the tranny fluid pan(This plug is generally larger than the oil drain plug), reinstall the plug, and add the equivalent to what you removed.

I bought a jug with measurement lines molded in it and pour the dirty oil into the jug. I then know how much new oil to add. I doubt that you will drain more than 6 or 7 quarts, so it may be best to drain and fill two years in a row, or within a few months of the first drain and fill. You can badd the dirty fluid to dirty engine oil and bring it to an auto parts store that accepts it.

My RX300 takes approximately 4 quarts of fluid when I do a drain and refill. I think it may call for 4.2 quarts or something like that in the manual.

The transmission drain plug takes a 10mm hex drive to remove it.

You will also want to replace the crush washer (metal gasket) when you do this so that you can be sure to prevent leaks.

The RX calls for Toyota Type IV and that is all I have used.

Drain fluid overnight when transmission is hot. Measure the amount drained in the morning using a 99 cent orange juice pitcher or similar bottle with measurement markings. Pour the same amount of new fluid in the transmission. If your dipstick is marked "Type T-IV" then use Toyota Type T-IV or risk premature transmission failure.

Lexus says the following on it's websit:

Automatic Transmission Fluid

Question: mWhat type of automatic transmission fluid is used in Lexus vehicles?

Answer:

Please check the inside back cover of your Owner's Manual for the type of transmission fluid your vehicle uses.

If you Owner's Manual specifies, T-II, you may only use T-II or T-IV.

If your Owner's Manual specifies, T-IV, you may only use T-IV.

If your Owner's Manual specifies Dexron II, you may only use Dexron II or Dexron III.

If your Owner's Manual specifies Dexron III, you may only use Dexron II or Dexron III.

My RX300 takes approximately 4 quarts of fluid when I do a drain and refill. I think it may call for 4.2 quarts or something like that in the manual.

You will also want to replace the crush washer (metal gasket) when you do this so that you can be sure to prevent leaks.

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the good info. I picked up the tranny fluid today from the Toyota dealership. After you have drained the fluid from the bolt under the car, where do you add the new fluid?

Thanks,

Mark

My RX300 takes approximately 4 quarts of fluid when I do a drain and refill.  I think it may call for 4.2 quarts or something like that in the manual.

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the good info. I picked up the tranny fluid today from the Toyota dealership. After you have drained the fluid from the bolt under the car, where do you add the new fluid?

Thanks,

Mark

Obtain a funnel from walmart for less than a buck that fits the dip stick tube, which is where you add the transmission fluid.

After you pull the transmission pan drain plug and drain the pan, be sure to pull the differential drain plug and drain it as well. The differential drain plug is located just behind the transmission drain plug, and you also pull it with a 10 mm Allen wrench. Notice the "gunk" all over the inside of the differential drain plug when you have it in your hand. That's because it contains a magnet that attracts the tiny metallic particles as they wear out and become suspended in your fluid. Be sure to wipe this plug brilliantly clean before you replace it along with your pan plug and refill your pan with fresh T-IV fluid.

This job is about as easy as they come. Just be sure to add that fourth quart of fluid slowly and check your dipstick level frequently as you add that fourth quart so that you neither underfill nor overfill your transmission. Then check your dipstick regularly over the next few days as you drive the vehicle to ensure that you got it right. Good luck.