Tokico And Kyb Shocks

bose217

Im going to change my shocks.I decided to go with the KYB GR-2.I heard those are the closest to stock,however,every place i call recommends Tokico and say KYB are a poor choice for replacements over OEM and that the Tokicos are far better.Whats up with that?I checked the prices and they are almost exactly the same.

Anyone know whats going on?

You could set the 5 way adjustables to be real soft you know. With the regular ones you can't dampen the ride. Anways, I like Tokico...I had 5 way adjustables on an Integra that I used to have. They worked real good because sometimes I just wanted a softer ride. Tokico's are known for their quality shocks/struts.

You could set the 5 way adjustables to be real soft you know. With the regular ones you can't dampen the ride. Anways, I like Tokico...I had 5 way adjustables on an Integra that I used to have. They worked real good because sometimes I just wanted a softer ride. Tokico's are known for their quality shocks/struts.

so the Illumina ones on there softest setting are softer that the regular Tokico HPs?

Are the Illuminas softer than the KYBs?

Don't know if this helps but I changed out the Bilstein's for KYB's on my Corvette and a lot of the rattles and squeeks stopped. Rides a lot smoother now.  Then there's these:Tokico's

Yeah but those Tokicos on ebay are the HP.Are the HPs stiffer than the Illuminas on the softest setting?Thats what im trying to figure out.

Im going to change my shocks.I decided to go with the KYB GR-2.I heard those are the closest to stock,however,every place i call recommends Tokico and say KYB are a poor choice for replacements over OEM and that the Tokicos are far better.Whats up with that?I checked the prices and they are almost exactly the same.

Anyone know whats going on?

i replaced mine w silver colored kybs from the tire rack & it feels just like factory struts. the original ones on the front had 160,000 miles on this 92 model sc400. there was a lot of noise coming from the front over speed bumps that went away when i replaced them w the kybs. i guess they were really worn out. i read somewhere that shocks dont last more than 100,000 miles or should be replaced then.

Yes, the non adjustable's (HP) are stiffer than the Illumina's on the softest setting. Illumina's on the softest setting (1) isn't going to be exactly like a factory ride but it comes pretty close, plus you'll benefit from better handling.

Yes, the non adjustable's (HP) are stiffer than the Illumina's on the softest setting. Illumina's on the softest setting (1) isn't going to be exactly like a factory ride but it comes pretty close, plus you'll benefit from better handling.

Thanks for the help.I think i will go with Tokico instead of KYB.

GR-2's are NOT like setting 3 or 4 on adjustable shocks. On AGX's setting 1 is far stiffer than any stock ride that I've ever felt. I would go with the KYB's too. I've ran quite a few sets of them, and they are an extremely nice ride. They extremely responsive, and give excellent feedback. We just put a set of GR-2's on a customer's Celica, and he about flipped over the difference.

Most of the places are probably suggesting Tokico's over the KYB's so strongly because they have a larger profit margin over them. I know I get Tokico's cheaper than I do KYB's, so if I was out to make money, I would do the same thing. I'm not saying Tokico's aren't a good shock, or that one is better than the other. All I'm saying is I've run KYB's for years. I've riden in a couple vehicles with Tokico's in them, and I greatly prefer the KYB's if it was my car.

GR-2's are NOT like setting 3 or 4 on adjustable shocks.  On AGX's setting 1 is far stiffer than any stock ride that I've ever felt.  I would go with the KYB's too.  I've ran quite a few sets of them, and they are an extremely nice ride.  They extremely responsive, and give excellent feedback.  We just put a set of GR-2's on a customer's Celica, and he about flipped over the difference. 

Most of the places are probably suggesting Tokico's over the KYB's so strongly because they have a larger profit margin over them.  I know I get Tokico's cheaper than I do KYB's, so if I was out to make money, I would do the same thing.  I'm not saying Tokico's aren't a good shock, or that one is better than the other.  All I'm saying is I've run KYB's for years. I've riden in a couple vehicles with Tokico's in them, and I greatly prefer the KYB's if it was my car.

So KYB GR-2s are softer?

think of the gr-2's as a stock shock but firm enough to take a corner and not roll off the road ilke most oem lexus shocks

the bound and rebound is valved nice and soft for bumps but stiffen up when in a corner nicely

they are for spiriteddriving not track driving.

i i was going to go for a performance set up i would just get a set of teins as they are real smooth but amazing for lowering without breaking your back over bumps.

think of the gr-2's as a stock shock but firm enough to take a corner and not roll off the road ilke most oem lexus shocks

the bound and rebound is valved nice and soft for bumps but stiffen up when in a corner nicely

they are for spiriteddriving not track driving.

i i was going to go for a performance set up i would just get a set of teins as they are real smooth but amazing for lowering without breaking your back over bumps.

are the KYBs softer the the Illuminas on thier softest setting?

i went to the shop today to put my Tokicos on cuz my car was runnin like a dump truck and low and behold the struts that were removed on my car from the previous owner were KYB GR-2 struts.I can already tell the difference from driving for like 10 minutes.

the old GR-2 struts must have been no good but they didnt look old at all