Custom Intake Installation

I just recently bought a short ram intake for my 95 ES3. Its basically the stock intake with a small aluminum tube with a hose sprouting off and a K&N intake. The hose coming off the aluminum tube is supposed to hook up to an area right around the center of the engine on the right. Does anybody know what this is what it is delivering air to? I know its hard to explain but in one picture i saw, the hose was not connected but instead a mini air filter was in its place. Anybody have any idea what im talking about? <_<

I just recently bought a short ram intake for my 95 ES3. Its basically the stock intake with a small aluminum tube with a hose sprouting off and a K&N intake. The hose coming off the aluminum tube is supposed to hook up to an area right around the center of the engine on the right. Does anybody know what this is what it is delivering air to? I know its hard to explain but in one picture i saw, the hose was not connected but instead a mini air filter was in its place. Anybody have any idea what im talking about?  <_<

Yup. The hose attaches to the valve cover of the front cylinder bank (via a similar tube). I understand that with the mini air filter the engine breathes better. I 've done it but there's no noticeable improvement. But I suppose it's to be done with other mods to be effective.

What do you mean extend the piping to the stock opening? what i really want to do is to find a way to enclose the filter unit itself in an air-tight box like stock but then connect a hose to it which leads outside of the engine bay. I installed the filter today and i definitely hear a difference and am still debating whether i like it or not. As far as performance, when everything is cool in the engine bay, i def. feel a difference but once it heats up, the filter itself becomes warm as well as the piping a little bit. Anyone have any suggestions on how to enclose the filter?

look at what you are trying to do.

you already know you need cold air not hot air

so by making a heatsheild to direct the cooler air you are mickey mousing the job instead of doin it correctly which is to have the filter breath cold air all the time