Rx300 Awd Transmission Failures

lenore

I would just like to know what is the standing of most owners out there of the AWD RX300 having failure of transmissions at approximately 100k miles with proper service? I contacted Lexus Consumer department and they stand on their warranty of 6 years 70k miles while their competitor Accura MDX is backing up a recall with unlimited mileage on their transmission problems, Just exactly how do we as owners contribute to the dissatisfaction of such a prevalent problem failure?

I ask all of you whom have had to replace the transmission that you consider showing your displeasure by call Lexus of America and registering your complaint.

The attitude of management at Lexus needs to step up to the plate. I know I sound like a disgruntled customer, but find it difficult to understand why the transmission should fail after personally servicing the transmission every 30k with Type IV fluid and still experiencing this early failure. Thankyou all for hearing me as I am quite displeased and will not give up giving this info to Lexus RX300 owners both old and new.

The transmission in my wife's 2000 RX300 AWD failed at just over 48,000 miles and was replaced under warranty after I battled with Lexus for about a month during October and November of last year.

Lexus Corporate is very aware of our dissatisfaction with the many weaknesses inherent in this vehicle (transmission, oxygen sensors, exhaust manifold, rear oil seal, etc.). Our local Lexus dealership continues to do everything it can to win our trust back, and I have nothing but good things to say about them. This vehicle has endured more than two weeks in the shop and over $8,000 in repair costs since September 2003, and we've never been charged a penny. Our standard Lexus warranty expired last December when we reached 50,000 miles. The vehicle now has about 75,300 miles on it.

As long as Lexus continues to cover our service issues and provide my wife with loaner vehicles while hers is being serviced, we'll keep this RX until about 125,000 miles. At that point the depreciation hit suffered by dumping the vehicle will be essentially a wash worth taking and we'll view this as a lesson learned and move on to something other than Lexus.

I would just like to know what is the standing of most owners out there of the AWD RX300 having failure of transmissions at approximately 100k miles with proper service?  I contacted Lexus Consumer department and they stand on their warranty of 6 years 70k  miles while their competitor Accura MDX is backing up a recall with unlimited mileage on their transmission problems, Just exactly how do we as owners contribute to the dissatisfaction of such a prevalent problem failure?

I ask all of you whom have had to replace the transmission that you consider showing your displeasure by call Lexus of America and registering your complaint.

The attitude of management at Lexus needs to step up to the plate.  I know I sound like a disgruntled customer, but find it difficult to understand why the transmission should fail after personally servicing the transmission every 30k with Type IV fluid and still experiencing this early failure.  Thankyou all for hearing me as I am quite displeased and will not give up giving this info to Lexus RX300 owners  both old and new.

My transmission was replaced at 68,000 miles. Lexus service diagnosed the problem, ordered it and changed it under the 6 year 70,000 mile warranty. They provided a loaner and were nice.

I would just like to know what is the standing of most owners out there of the AWD RX300 having failure of transmissions at approximately 100k miles with proper service?  I contacted Lexus Consumer department and they stand on their warranty of 6 years 70k  miles while their competitor Accura MDX is backing up a recall with unlimited mileage on their transmission problems, Just exactly how do we as owners contribute to the dissatisfaction of such a prevalent problem failure?

The attitude of management at Lexus needs to step up to the plate.  I know I sound like a disgruntled customer, but find it difficult to understand why the transmission should fail after personally servicing the transmission every 30k with Type IV fluid and still experiencing this early failure.  Thankyou all for hearing me as I am quite displeased and will not give up giving this info to Lexus RX300 owners  both old and new.

I also own an 2000 Acura TL that has a transmission recall. Acura did not address tranny problem until there are enough complains...for a good reason - this is a increase in liability and operational expense for these auto makers. Do you know an easy way to get more of us to file tranny complains?

No I do not know an easy way to file complaints, however I did file a complaint to the National Traffic Safety Board and Two complaints to Lexus of America. I plan to issue flyers with helpful tips to preventing failure and also get some feedback from local lexus owners. I am going to place them on all RX300 Windshields wherever I go. I am not going to give up

mgiht as well put them on ES windsheilds also as it is the same a541e tranny in them but not awd.

All tehy need are new filters with a filter medai not some stupid mesh, once that is done or adding a $40 external inline trany filter the tranny will last forever as the contaminents are gone.

Does there seem to be any kind of pattern on the trans failures? Towing or using the ect button in either mode?

my lexus is commuted in street traffic approximately 14 miles one way everyday. No snow or special conditions. the fluid always smelled burnt at the 30k change intervals. The cooler is in the right front fender/bumper area. Probably inadequate cooling for stop and go traffic. Cooler should be in front of radiator for cooling in slow traffic to allow for electric fan cooling. The fender well has got to be a poor circulation of air.

I used mobil 1 synthetic atf fluid and had problems as did other people

when my third transmission goes past warranty I will probably switch to SWEPCO hydralic fluid. I have had excellent success on a 91 dodge Caravan and a 98 ford windstar which both have had significant tranny problems. The flash point is higher and the breakdown temp is 10 degrees higher than most fluids on the market. Unforntunately the fluid is available wholesale only. I get mine from the Mercedes independent garage locallly. Cost is about the same as type IV. Lenore

Does your owners manual specifically say what type of fluid the recommend lenore? If it's Toyota type IV fluid....I'd stick with that. I always do a complete 100% tranny fluid flush when servicing the transmission......never the drain & fill method. That way they can drop the pan & clean the screen mesh & replace the gasket at the same time. For piece of mind, I'm much more comfortable knowing that I have all fresh fluid in the tranny.....especially with our extreme cold temps in Canada during the winter. Just my 2 cents. B)

:cheers:

If you have an 01 or later you could probably have someone remove the useless VC, which I strongly suspect is generating the extra heat which is then frying the transmission. In the 01 and after the Trac system intervenes with wheelspin long before the VC can react and "stiffen" even if it were properly designed to do so.

The front and rear final drive ratios are different, 2.92 vs ~3.12 resulting in the spider gears within the center differential continously spinning against the VC action. VC is therefore continually heating the transmission fluid.

Well, I should have started reading this forum much, much earlier....unfortunately, my tranny went out around 90K miles...no warranty of course and it cost me $7K to get it fixed at AAMCO. Lexus was going to charge $8-$10K !!!

I still can't believe that a $40K car's tranny isn't covered for at least 100K miles!!!! Where do I sign up to get some recourse!!!

-Bitter...party of one!

How has the AAMCO transmission worked out for you? How many miles are on it now? Does it run Toyota T-IV transmission fluid? Are you changing your fluid every 30,000 miles in an effort to make your current transmission last longer?

Does there seem to be any kind of pattern on the trans failures? Towing or using the ect button in either mode?

I do not tow and do not use the ECT button. Just a slow commute daily

Our 99 RX300 had not one, but two !! transmissions replaced around 50,000 miles. The service guy, Corlie, was so great to us. In fact, his wonderfulness made any problems we had with the car seem like nothing. They were always great at the dealership and we will be loyal Lexus owners. I am holding out for the hybrid RX.

During the transmission problems, I had planned a 5 day class about 5 hours south and they gave me a loaner car.

I have '99 RX 300 AWD with 57,000 miles on it. Two weeks ago, I noticed on way to work that transmission wouldn't shift into 3rd (?) gear and I would have to accelerate or decelerate to get it to shift after RPMs climb to 3,000. This has only been happening after the car has sat for several hours (i.e. morning and on way home from work), and it will only happen after initial "takeoff." Once I get it to shift the first time, I won't have any other problems until it sits again for hours.

Does this sound consistent with initial problems that all of you have had? And I'm assuming from these posts that that transmission is covered up to 6 years / 70,000 miles? At what point would Lexus acknowledge that my transmission is malfunctioning (if it truly is) and fix? I don't want to wait until it's too late?

Incidentally, my transmission has always hesitated a bit, before this recent "sticking" occurred. But from reading posts on here, I was told this is normal for the '99.

Thanks for the advice in advance.

DS

Different owners have reported somewhat different variations of initial signs of impending transmission failure. One constant is that the AWD version is more affected than the FWD version.

Why take a chance by doing nothing? Call your Lexus dealership and formally report it. Do your research, be professional, and don't allow yourself to be backed down. You probably already know how expensive a transmission replacement will be if you have to pay for it out of your own pocket. That alone should provide you with all the incentive you'll need to follow through. Good luck.

view this as a lesson learned and move on to something other than Lexus.

There's no other car maker in the world that can match the overall reliability / durability of Toyota / Lexus. From time to time over it's 40 year history in the USA, Toyota has underengineered a model here and there, but overall a large majority of its vehicles have had a steller record of reliablity and durability compared to European or American makes. If you stray

from Lexus, I would suggest you look at another Asian car maker like Acura or Infiniti if reliability and durability is a top priority. Hyundai is a rising star in this field as well.

Well, I should have started reading this forum much, much earlier....unfortunately, my tranny went out around 90K miles...no warranty of course and it cost me $7K to get it fixed at AAMCO.  Lexus was going to charge $8-$10K !!! 

I still can't believe that a $40K car's tranny isn't covered for at least 100K miles!!!!  Where do I sign up to get some recourse!!!

-Bitter...party of one!

I agree with you totally. I have tried to deaf ears at Lexus of America, however I tell everyone I know to not buy a RX300 with AWD. Buy a Toyota 4runner...

I payed 4430 at the lexus dealer for the rebuilt transmission. Sorry you were quoted higher. Lenore

Where can I find information on the powertrain warranty for my 1999 RX 300 AWD?  I keep hearing 6 years / 70,000 miles.

It is 6 year 70k miles warranty on the powertrain of the vehicle, which includes the transmission. If the car sold in november of 1998 it is past warrranty.

Whoa - so you're saying that the warranty begins on the date that the vehicle is purchased? So even if I have a '99 RX 300, it could be past the warranty if sold in late '98?

Unfortunately, regarding my Supplemental Owner's Manual, when I bought the car, it didn't have either. I ordered Owner's Manual from Toyota, but I don't think it came with supplement.

Thanks.

DS