Lx 470 Supercharger

merbesfield

Went to TRDUSA.com, no listing for a V8, could not get Performance to pull up?

Does anyone have any experiance with the installation? Is it reliable?

I searched and found a couple of places but they both seemed to either not have it in stock or it had been discontinued? I read some where that the kits were unreilable and had been removed from the market? Or was that just for Tundra's?

"TRD supercharger land cruiser lx 470"

Yeah both the website didnt list the landcruiser & LX470 blower (Supercharged) but actually if you give them a call -yes they do carry them.

I think you can get the TRD supercharged from local Toyota dealer from ur area.

As far as reliable or unreliable im not sure about that, sorry im not fan of blower but Turbo yeah :cheers:

TRD did discontinue the manufacture of the blowers, but there are still quite a few available in the marketplace. Those that were distributed to dealerships, shops, etc. were not recalled. As I understand it, Toyota/TRD was having a problem with some of the new emissions regulations.

I have a friend with a TRD supercharger that he installed on his 1998 Land Cruiser -- it has the same engine as the LX 470. He's had it installed for about 2 years now with no complaints at all.

If you're really interested, I'd check the following (in this order):

1) American Toyota. In Albequerque, NM. I recall them having a 4.5 L Supercharger recently, they may have the 4.7 L engine Supercharger.

2) Slee Offroad. They've had them in the past; I'm not sure if they have them right now.

3) TLC4X4. These guys are in Van Nuys, CA. They'd be the most expensive of the 3 if they have them in stock.

If you strike out with these 3 - post this question on the www.ih8mud.com 100 series Land Cruiser forum. I'm sure someone there will be able to point you in the right direction.

I haven't heard of turbos for the 4.7L engine...but then again, I don't pay much attention to posts for them, so they might be out there.

Good luck.

Thanks for all the good info. Does your friend like the results from the superchager? Was he satisfied with the power he got from the kit? Is'nt his motor the same as the current late model engine?

TRD did discontinue the manufacture of the blowers, but there are still quite a few available in the marketplace.  Those that were distributed to dealerships, shops, etc. were not recalled.  As I understand it, Toyota/TRD was having a problem with some of the new emissions regulations.

I have a friend with a TRD supercharger that he installed on his 1998 Land Cruiser -- it has the same engine as the LX 470.  He's had it installed for about 2 years now with no complaints at all.

If you're really interested, I'd check the following (in this order):

1) American Toyota.  In Albequerque, NM.  I recall them having a 4.5 L Supercharger recently, they may have the 4.7 L engine Supercharger.

2) Slee Offroad.  They've had them in the past; I'm not sure if they have them right now.

3) TLC4X4.  These guys are in Van Nuys, CA.  They'd be the most expensive of the 3 if they have them in stock.

If you strike out with these 3 - post this question on the www.ih8mud.com 100 series Land Cruiser forum.  I'm sure someone there will be able to point you in the right direction.

I haven't heard of turbos for the 4.7L engine...but then again, I don't pay much attention to posts for them, so they might be out there.

Good luck.

Hey EnDLesS -- I saw someone on another forum with your same user name ;)

The turbo vs. supercharger debate is long and heated.

I didn't think AVO's turbo was ready for sale yet...

Regardless of which way you go, be prepared for around $4k to $5k for parts and labor for a supercharger and around $6k to $7k for parts and labor for turbocharger installation (rough estimates).

My friend with the TRD blower on his 4.7L LC loves it. He's very happy with it. Yes, it's the same engine from 1998 through 2005.

Merbesfield,

Advantage & Disadvantage Turbo Vs Supercharged,

For daily commute (work, etc..) i rather choose Turbo because Turbo has lag and will hit in certain RPM -like above 2800-3K so its good. For instance when you stuck in traffic (bumper to bumper) you not using Turbo @ all.Only open road that when you hit gas pedal hard that when the Turbo kicks in.

While Supercharged has no lag , like open throttle you hit gas pedal it kicks in all RPM ...

Theres 2 diferrent category for Turbo & Supercharged but also for reliability i still choose Turbo over the Supercharged because Supercharged its kick in all the time and sounds like or more like abuse your engine.

May i ask why you need Turbo or supercharged?

Doughjohn2,

Yes actually that also i that with whole bunch landcrusier freaks :D that we were arguing about some rich guy (owned oil co) he owned landcrusier and decided to built one of the fastest landcrusier in the WORLD! so he did and this guy from AVO international got involved because he mention that he was there on the scene.

and they were doing 300km/ 200mph on the sahara desert something like that.

and i was freak out & surprised when they started mention 760hp.. :blink:

Hey anyways.. the other day we had conversation ( I , Christo & Ben ) from sleeoffroad i was talking about rebuild my motor ( to get whole thing new ) and cost about 8K , do you think this sounds little too much?

Christo and Ben are great guys -- so is Robbie (all of Slee Offroad).

Was the rebuild they mentioned the one that included boring out the cylinders? If so, I'll get that done someday (when my lil' 4.5 gets too tired to run...).

Their prices are very fair for the quality of work they provide. $8k is alot, but they're doing alot of work and you essentially end up with a new engine. I look at it as $8k invested in a paid for truck being better than $8k spent on getting another vehicle.

Yeah 8K to rebuild new motor also gotta leave car there for about 3 weeks or so.

Of course i have same thought with you , rather spend 8K to get new motor than getting other vehicle & plus with all mods that i already spent in the past year.

Regarding to boring out the cylinder i havent ask so much detail yet, but im pretty sure it can be done and will work something out. But do you really need to be bore out thou? as far as i know if you lookin to get more Hp that what you need ~ port & bore out.