Adding Xm Radio Later To 2004 Ls430

ronsou

At the time I bought my 2004 LS430 with Mark Levinson stereo (part of ultra luxury package), I didn’t have much interest in XM and didn’t add it because it was explained to me that the XM receiver is sort of awkwardly placed in the trunk. However, now XM has added all major league baseball games,. I now live on west coast, but am a huge Chicago Cubs fan (a disease that is incurable, but not fatal. You just wish it were fatal.) So now I must have XM. Can I add it now such that it would be just as well integrated as if I had done it when I bought the car originally ? i.e. is this option always just done at the dealer in any case, or is it a factory installed thing ? Since it is all prewired already (the stereo has a button for AM/SAT) would it be equally good or even better to go to a good car stereo shop and have them add an XM tuner ? Any advice ? Thanks.

Its simply the "LS XM Kit" you can pick it up from your dealer for $500 or so and I think they charge $750 to install it. You can also get it online for a little less at www.lexus-parts.com and have a stereo shop install it for you. Find a high end stereo shop and look for other expensive cars in having stereo equipment installed. My guess is anywhere form $75-$150 from an independent shop.

Thanks for the replies and helpful diagram. I did find the kit online at the site mentioned for $369. The diagram though makes it look like its a little involved - not sure if I trust a local stereo shop to do this without messing up my car. Unless someone knows an independent in Seattle area experienced with this. Dealer wants about $1000 total for parts & labor. Thanks again.

Thanks for the replies and helpful diagram.  I did find the kit online at the site mentioned for $369.  The diagram though makes it look like its a little involved - not sure if I trust a local stereo shop to do this without messing up my car.  Unless someone knows an independent in Seattle area experienced with this.  Dealer wants about $1000 total for parts & labor.  Thanks again.

I had one installed on my 2004 LS 430 after I bought it and it is fantastic. You can program it through the nav screen and reception is great (Southern California). I am sure you can buy it on-line and have a stereo installer put it in, but be careful. Make sure you get the right kit. The diagram shown by the previous post is from an early version that put a large, ugly antenna assembly on the trunk of your car. A newer one puts a mini antenna on the "package tray" under your back window (it is BARELY visible and a much cleaner installation). Also, I believe your dealer will cover your XM install through the vehicle warranty. Mine cost $600 for the kit, $300 for install plus tax.

Compare the costs, consider the trade-offs and enjoy your XM.

I don't reccomend letting them install it on the parcel shelf, thats where my satellite antenna is installed. Depending on the area the install on the package tray may cause signal dropouts as the satellite moves around the car and the signal can't pass through the C pillars or roof. For best reception the trunk lid or preferably the roof should be used. I'm gonna have mine moved.