Location Of Nav System Gps Antenna For 2004 Es 330

Norris

I have a 2004 ES 330 with the NAV system. I will soon have a Lexus XM receiver installed and I was wondering where the GPS Antenna for the NAV system is located. I would like to have the XM receiver antenna positioned in the upper center of the trunk lid but I was told that location will interfer with the NAV GPS reception. Is that true??? Is the GPS antenna at the Bottom of the rear back glass or?? Thanks in advance for your help.

I posted this in the Audio/Video/Electronics section yesterday, however no one responded. I was thinking that if I post it here, it will get more visibility... Thanks...

I have a 2004 ES 330 with the NAV system. I will soon have a Lexus XM receiver installed and I was wondering where the GPS Antenna for the NAV system is located. I would like to have the XM receiver antenna positioned in the upper center of the trunk lid but I was told that location will interfer with the NAV GPS reception. Is that true??? Is the GPS antenna at the Bottom of the rear back glass or?? Thanks in advance for your help.

I posted this in the Audio/Video/Electronics section yesterday, however no one responded.  I was thinking that if I post it here, it will get more visibility... Thanks...

Ive got the same car, and would call the service department at the lexus dealer for location of the nav antenna. I chose to delay purchase of the satellite system, wanting to wait for prices to come down and if the programming would improve.

Best of luck on the installation and please let us know what you found out.

Alan K in NoVa

:D

• 3 weeks later...

I posted this in the Audio/Video/Electronics section yesterday, however no one responded.  I was thinking that if I post it here, it will get more visibility... Thanks...

The GPS antenna is attached to your front windshield behind your rear-view mirror. There is no antenna in the back deck or back windshield.

I have the same car and I have a satellite radio antenna on the rear deck, no reception problems on the GPS.

Thanks to all for the info. I want to have the antenna placed on the rear deck in the center near the top forward edge. The Technician at the Lexus dealership here in Tucson is telling me that he has to place the antenna off to the side due to possible interference with the GPS antenna. If the GPS receiver antenna is located on the front windshield, there is no way that we would get interference. I think the Tech might be BS'ing me..... Thanks again to all who responded

I don't know that its in the front windshield, its usually on the rear window. The tech will probably refuse to mount it on the rear shelf because the instructions from Lexus say to mount it on the trunk lid and they're not "supposed" to deviate from that. Its not the tech's fault he could get in serious trouble for mounting it elsewhere.

I don't know that its in the front windshield, its usually on the rear window. The tech will probably refuse to mount it on the rear shelf because the instructions from Lexus say to mount it on the trunk lid and they're not "supposed" to deviate from that. Its not the tech's fault he could get in serious trouble for mounting it elsewhere.

There is the possibility that the NAV antenna was moved to the front windshield on the '04-'05 models, because the NAV computer was shifted to the radio area, as opposed to being in the trunk as on the '02-'03 ES's.

Interesting point...I didnt think of that

That would also help for people who want to tint their windows. You can't use metallic tint on cars with GPS because it interferes with the antenna.

I mounted the XM receiver antenna on the middle front edge of the trunk lid. I thought the R edge position per instructions was too odd looking.

No problems with GPS; good XM reception.

That is good news. That is exactly where I want mine mounted. Thanks to all who responded. Happy Holidays....

Just saw this question. Attached is a page from the 2004 Shop Manual for the ES330. Seems to show the antenna on the underside of the dash.

Thanks for the info. Could you please email that attachment to me. cnorris16@cox.net Thanks in advance..