Is 300 Rims On Gs 300

Hello:

I have a 2002 GS 300 with stock aluminum 16" rims.

A friend has a 2001 IS 300 with stock 17" rims.

Does anyone know if I can put his rims on my car?

I don't know if the bolt pattern, fit, etc. is the same.

The picture of the rims I want to put on are below.

If the rims are a fit, is it as simple as changing a tire?

Do I need to have my tires re-balanced and my alignment checked again?

Since I'm only getting 4 rims, can I still use my stock 16" full sized spare if I get a flat? Will that affect the driving?

Can I still use my same lug nuts and wheel locks or do I have to get the ones from him?

Thanks ahead of time for any help!

post-1995-1100796381_thumb.jpg

Hello:

I have a 2002 GS 300 with stock aluminum 16" rims.

A friend has a 2001 IS 300 with stock 17" rims.

Does anyone know if I can put his rims on my car? 

I don't know if the bolt pattern, fit, etc. is the same. 

The picture of the rims I want to put on are below.

If the rims are a fit, is it as simple as changing a tire?

Do I need to have my tires re-balanced and my alignment checked again?

Since I'm only getting 4 rims, can I still use my stock 16" full sized spare if I get a flat?  Will that affect the driving?

Can I still use my same lug nuts and wheel locks or do I have to get the ones from him?

Thanks ahead of time for any help!

post-1995-1100796381_thumb.jpg

yea, the bolt pattern is the same, I got some tires that are the same diamater tire, so the spare works fine with it. I also used the stock gs lugs and locks, but they look terrible and i need some new ones. When you get the tires put on, you will deff. need them balanced, and an allignment wouldnt hurt. Mine drives great with the new wheels, and I just swapped them out, but some spacers in the rear are soon to come.

(Note:i have them on a first gen, but the 2nd gen pattern is still 5x114.3)

85585_.jpg

Every thing will fit and 16s as a spare will be fine. That said, I would not do it. The IS wheels are 17x7 while the GS wheels are 16x7.5. What will happen is that the IS wheels will be a bit more recessed in the wheel well. I don't think that looks as good plus you are getting a narrower wheel.

Thanks everyone who replied. Does anyone know how to send a message to people who posted? (I tried the "PM" button, but it just gives me an error).

Anyways, in response to NEO's comments:

Every thing will fit and 16s as a spare will be fine. That said, I would not do it. The IS wheels are 17x7 while the GS wheels are 16x7.5. What will happen is that the IS wheels will be a bit more recessed in the wheel well. I don't think that looks as good plus you are getting a narrower wheel.

Will that be a big or noticeable difference?

For a novice like me, can someone tell me what the 7 in 17x7 refers to? (I know the 17" is the diameter of the rim)

But what is the 7 vs 7.5---is that the width of the rim? If so, will that extra .5 (inches?) be a big difference?

Thanks.

Thanks everyone who replied.  Does anyone know how to send a message to people who posted?  (I tried the "PM" button, but it just gives me an error).

For a novice like me, can someone tell me what the 7 in 17x7 refers to?  (I know the 17" is the diameter of the rim)

But what is the 7 vs 7.5---is that the width of the rim?  If so, will that extra .5 (inches?) be a big difference?

Thanks.

I dont think it looks too bad at all, plus you can also add spacers

Thanks everyone who replied.  Does anyone know how to send a message to people who posted?  (I tried the "PM" button, but it just gives me an error).

For a novice like me, can someone tell me what the 7 in 17x7 refers to?  (I know the 17" is the diameter of the rim)

But what is the 7 vs 7.5---is that the width of the rim?  If so, will that extra .5 (inches?) be a big difference?

Thanks.

You are right. 17 refers to the measurement of the face of the rim. The second number refers to the width of the rim. This width is where the tires will be mounted.

Comparing the GS 16s and IS 17s, it won't be that bad. You are right that .5" is not that big. I know of a few people who have done it and they are fine with it. I only voiced my opinion that I would not do it. Here are some differences that may or may not be noticeable to you. Only you can decide. :)

- The stock GS 17s are 17x8. This is 1" wider than the IS rims. The GS is a big heavy car and a wider width tire will give better support. This is an extreme case but if you ever had to put on those skinny spacesaver spares, you know what I mean. Like I said, the spare is an extreme case only to support the point.

- Reducing the width reduces the maximum width tire you can put on the rim. Although I have seen people pushing it, on a 7" width rim, the "normal" tire width is 215. You can push it to 225 but I would not personally go to 235 (although I have seen it done). On a GS 17x8, you can run safely a tire at 245 width. The wider the tire, the more contact patch is on the ground. The pros of this is more grip = better acceleration , better braking. The cons is that since more is touching the ground, you get more feedback from the ground = potentially more noise, less of the muted luxury ride. Only you can determine the balance you want to achieve.

- And as I mentioned above, the wheel will be more inset. This gives a slightly narrower wheel base. Whereas some of us are trying to reduce the fender gap (vertically and horizontally), the IS wheels will be doing the reverse (horizontally). Like alexR said, you can get spacers to correct some of this. You will need to get the right spacers to maintain hub-centricity so that you won't get vibrations.

Like I said above, you may or may not notice or care about any of the listed issues. If you don't push the car hard or are not that concerned about losing a little bit here and there, you should be fine with the IS wheels. For me, the negatives of this swap outweighs the positives. On your scale, it may work out differently. :D

Good luck.

I don't think it's been mentioned that you'll have to come up with a tire aspect ration that will yield an outside diameter for the 17's as you have with the 16's.  This will mean a lower profile, stiffer sidewall, and a harsher ride, as well.

Good call. I assumed the original poster knew but you know what happens when you assume. ;) It never hurts to make sure.

With x7 rims, the "normal" width is 215 so the tire size would need to be 215/50/17 with an OD of 25.5" which is close enough to the GS OEM 17x8 size of 235/45 with OD of 25.3".

• 1 month later...