Rx300 Spare Key Problem

depot90

I just bought a used RX300 SUV and it only came with one (1) master key. The car dealership said the car only came one master key. I called my local Lexus dealer and they told me that a key code should have been with the car. But it is missing or the previous owner didn't provide it with the car. I need another key but the Lexus dealer said it'll cost me $250 plus the $50 programming charge for a new key with an electronic chip. Is there a way around this wherein I can save money or program the key myself? Is there another way to get that key code so that I can at least get another key made. The dealer said they'll have to have the key made in Japan. Can anyone help me with this problem?

Yes you can save money by programming a new key yourself. Here are steps to programming. The RX300, I believe falls under the last set of instructions.

http://secure.ksinc.net/techtrain/User_9.htm

You can go to this link and check pricing.

http://www.lexus-parts.com/prodlist.asp?Su...ubCategoryID=22

You can read this link for more info.

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread...&threadid=66669

Hope that helps.

you can get the key code from lexus head office

have you updated them with you being the new owner yet?

also you can get a new key cheaper without the buttons also a valet key and a key card one for your wallet as well

I have a 1999 RX300 and it came with two programmed keys, one valet key, and one wallet key that is flat and fits into a credit card mold for easy wallet placement. The $250 replacement plus $50 for programming is a bit overpriced ... I think you can find a better price than that.

I had a similar problem and convinced the used car dealer that cars come with 2 keys( if you lose your master you need a new computer parts and labor over 2000 plus a stuck car) It cost 150 for the key and 30 to program it. I have seen key blanks on ebay for 50. The problem is getting someone to cut it. Lexus getst he key cut from your VIN in Ohio not localy. I am not sure a local lock smith will cut the special lexus key. HTH

There is a place on the internet called "keylessride.com" that sells the blank remotes along with instructions for $100. This is less than the $139 bid currently on ebay for the same thing. I have not used them, so can't speak from personal experience. Can tell you that the metal part of the key cannot be removed. I made the mistake of buying one on ebay for $40, thinking I could replace the key part and reprogram the remote part, because someone on ebay had said this could be done. It can't. better off buying a new blank. Also, keylessride.com advertises that you can talk to a technician if you need help.

Forgot to mention it in my previous post, but a locksmith with a laser cut machine can cut the key for you. Not all have it, because it is expensive. It cost me $30 to get the key cut. Of course, it won't work in the door or the ignition without a programmed remote. I found that if I hold my remote next to the new key, the car will pick up the programming from my remote. So I'm going to try to get an old remote I bought on ebay reprogrammed for my car. It won't be ideal, but at least I'll have a spare that didn't cost me $300. (Key was $30, Remote was $40, hope to find free programming instructions. Will let you know if I do.