Good Gas Pays Off

lexxus

I had knock and ping in my 400 whenever I pushed it, and thought maybe the timing belt was off. Then someone said to run two cans of Techron(which I did) and I quit Arco and use only Chevron gas now, and the ping is almost gone. It's very slight now.

But I still want a newer 300.

I had knock and ping in my 400 whenever I pushed it, and thought maybe the timing belt was off. Then someone said to run two cans of Techron(which I did) and I quit Arco and use only Chevron gas now, and the ping is almost gone. It's very slight now.

But I still want a newer 300.

why a 300? man i wish my car was a 400

why a 300?  man i wish my car was a 400

I'll trade you!!! LOL

A 300 would be cheaper on insurance for me, and there's more room in the engine bay for turbos. Also easier to slide a W58 in behind it.

Though nothing beats that 1UZ-FE sound...

Aaron

The more I read this stuff the more I want to get a 400 for a toy.  My IS is nice, but I still like them V8's.

I've said it before...my girlfriend's 300 (with the bad lifter) feels more responsive to me than my 400. My 400 feels like a big boat. Her 300 handles better, to me. Maybe it's my imagination, but it seems like I can feel the extra weight of the 400, compared to the 300. The 400 sounds cool, but it isn't really very fast. But I'm a guy who had early 60's Vettes. And, maybe my 400 is slower than it should be.

Also, my 400 is a '92, and it's broken down on me a few times, and I think I've only had it about eight months or so. So, I'd like a newer 300, for both the handling and the reliability. The problem is my budget...

I believe that was my advice. Glad to hear it worked as good for you as it did for me. Techron is good chit. Just dont use too much, as I've had some guys tell me that it can cause valve problems (cant remember the explanantion). After you get it running good just treat with two back to back doses every 3-4k mi. And keep using premium Chevron.

STP fuel stabilizer works pretty well too. I found out by accident. I had put some in the tank of my Firebird because I wasn't driving it much. After a couple of little trips, I took the car out and it ran like it was brand new. I hadn't really noticed the decline in performance over time. The only thing I can figure is that something in the stabilizer did some internal cleaning.

• 1 year later...