Steering Wheel Shaking

I think it is hopeless.I have stock 17s new brembos drilled slotted.still shakes.Im getting ready to buy new rims,tires,and centering rings if needed and WHEN it still shakes Ill be taking it to the dealer and WONT be picking it up until its fixed.I dont know about all states or much about lemon laws but I think in In if you have your car in for the same repair so many times and it cant be resolved then it is applicable.Im not saying my car is a lemon but this problem really makes me wonder sometimes. :censored:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

tire pressure shouldn't make a difference.  i would be looking at the quality of the wheel weight.  most likely, the shop is not cleaning the rim properly before applying the stick-on weights.  if the wheel is not cleaned then after a few days the weight is going to fall off.  also,  when applying the weights they need to be tapped ever so lightly with a plastic hammer to get the adhesive to bond evenly.  drive your cars to pgh and i will hook you up :D

Anthonyiez, so you are saying its just a matter of getting the balancing right? I got my new tires at Discount Tire three weeks ago and my GS400 shakes from 60 on up. Is there anything I can tell them which will help them balance my wheels right??? Do I ask for those centering devices there too??

THanks

Wagsy

• 4 weeks later...

I fixed mine!!! I took it to Discount tire and asked them if they can do a more precision job when balancing my tires. They told me that a dynamic balance ( I think thats what he said) can be done and is a more precise way of balancing tires. I did and the problem was fixed. He warned me that most GS with the sport suspension are very sensitive to the roads. Try it and let me know how it goes.

• 1 year later...

Good news for everyone!!! First a little bit of history. (( I bought my lexus GS400 with factory chrome rims that were chipping, so of course I replaced them with some hot new 17 inch rims. To my dismay about 500 miles later ( which was 2 days after I got the car) the steering wheel started shaking. So of course I took it to the nearest shop to have it looked at. They told me that the tires were out of balance and that the "rebalanced" them and I was all set. Well the same thing happened once again, after another trip to the repair shop I was told the same thing again. So with reason on my side I took my GS to my machanic which told me that I had a tire that was out of round. So what do I do..... replace my tires of course..... I get my new tires put on the car and after a little while I notice the same frigging thing is happening again... right around 60 the wheel shakes.)) Well I am sure all of that sounds very familiar to you if you are reading this tread... What i have found is, that if I keep my tire pressure all around right at 40-43 that the shacking is gone.. yeah this does mean that you have to check your tire pressure regularly but it does pay off. I have not seen the shaking in about 2 weeks now the longest I have gone since I bought the car a year ago.

Just rotated my tires - same problem - shakin at 55-65 mph all of a sudden.

Took Ryan's advice - upped tire pressure all four tires to 40 - shaking is completely gone! Even drove it on the freeway for an hour while changin speeds....thanks Ryan - it worked for me!!

Just rotated my tires - same problem - shakin at 55-65 mph all of a sudden.

Took Ryan's advice - upped tire pressure all four tires to 40 - shaking is completely gone! Even drove it on the freeway for an hour while changin speeds....thanks Ryan - it worked for me!!

yeah but man you need to be careful ... with your tire pressure that high ... DO NOT ... i repeat DO NOT go over 85mph they WILL explode ... all jokes aside what you are doing is very dangerous ... max on any tires on a sedan should be 36 psi ... thats the MAX ... if you are going to be going 90mph for a sustained period of time you need to drop your tire pressure down to 10 - 15 psi i had mine at 25 when my back passenger tire exploded on the freeway doing 110mph so be forwarned bro .. BE CAREFUL

Shoe

I have the same problem as well. I have the OEM wheels. I have replaced the tires, 1 rotor and 1 brake caliper so far. The struts on the front are less than 1 year old. One of the calipers was not releasing properly. I'm running out of options. Do you guys know any good Lexus/Toyota mechanics in Houston? Thanks.

• 1 year later...

I've had all the problems that everyone has been talking about with my 1999 GS 400. Ive had the car for 2 years and ive been through 10 tires due to wear in the front. I would align and high speed balance my car constantly and it would still shake on the highway. Ive been to multiple mechanics nothing, until I talked with a buddy of mine @ Hi-Tech Racing and he said simple it was my lugs. You need to make sure that the lugs you have on your gs are factory not aftermarket. He told me the factory lugs especially for 17inch rims are self centering lugs. After 100's and 100's of dollars spent it is a simple lug problem. My car rides smooth now, no problems. Go to you nearest Lexus dealer before you keep spending your money on new tires like me.

• 6 months later...
Ive been trying to fix this problum for two years, Ive got OEM wheels and had loads of balance jobs done, put new dunlop tyres on that seemed to make the most differance but it is just slightly still there, so I must agree it must have something to do with the tyres, I think the only solution is to go to Lexus and say put your OEM tyres on please and pay the money see if that sorts it out if not keep going back untill they do. :blink::blink:

I put hub centric in my rims and it solve my problem, I had a shake last week took the wheels off and realize that when I had my tires changed last week some how they took one of the center ring out. I bought another ring and my problem is solved.

Mine does the same at 60, I have 20's on a 01 gs430 ive tried everything as well with no luck, my best solution is to drive faster...

i havea 99 gs300 and i put some 18's on it the car looks sweet but i had them on for about 4 months and they ruined my suspension and wheel bearings, these cars were designed to keep their original equiipment on, changing anything like wheels is a guarantee to ruin the ride!!!! my friend also did the same thing but he put some 20s and after a few months a very nice expensive car sounded like a ford focus while driving with clanking noises coming out of everywhere, i suggest if anyone puts other wheels on the gs at least let them be original lexus ones!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Did anyone try replacing the upper and/or lower control arm? The steering wheel shake you feel is coming from the front two wheels and I have the OEM 17" 5-spoke wheels with OEM lugs. Now, since we can feel the shake coming from the front with your steering wheel, how do you know that the back are not shaking? I am sure it does but do you feel it with your "butt-o-meter" or by placing your foot on top of the brake pedal (do not push)?

Hey guys,

I previously had a shaking problem like a week ago at around 50-60 mph. I purchesed centering rings and THAT SOLVED the problem. i was so relieved. But today, they started shaking not as bad, but noticable, around 50-60mph. IM so sad. I thoguht the problem was solved. I cant think of anything else i can do to fix it. I just got an allignemnt job two days ago, all rotors are straight. wheels are balanced. What else could it be? Can anyone suggest or help me. ITs really annoying.

-Kenji

OK guys here it is. The problem which I have had is the lower control arms. Unfortunatly each peice is 350-600 each used. I have gotten 2 at the junk yard for 130 I got real lucky and found them. If you are in houston or close I have a great cheep mechanic that will do both if you have the part for about $100. they should be able to shake the wheel to see if thats what it is. But this will make all the difference. GOOD luck!!

Ken

• 5 weeks later...
Hey anthonyiez!

I am located in the pgh area and would LOVE to stop by your shop and get you to possibly fix this prob 4 me! It has been WAY TOO LONG trying 2 get this prob fixed and I just want my baby to get back to a smooth ride.... I dont believe in that hooey bout having 2 trade-off a smooth ride 4 a out-of-balance ride just because of aftermarket rims...I have had MANY OTHER VEHICLES and ALL OF THEM have had aftermarket wheels put on them... and my ride was NEVER sacrificed... to me the rim conspiracy is just a way 4 the dealers 2 get ppl 2 buy their "cheap" overpriced wheels...

One prob though... I have balancing compound in my tires... one of the last ditch efforts I tried in order to get the prob under wraps... is there any way to get that off the tire and get the tires balanced without it? :wacko:

did Anthony fix your shake, if so where is PGH and what did he do to fix the problem?

Guys, I've done my research and all I've been told is that the shake at 60-65 mph is the trade-off you have to accept if you change away from OEM wheels and tires. I know we've all heard this, but OEM wheels and tires are designed for a purpose... the best ride possible. So, i've just had to come to terms with the fact that.... If you want to change wheels, lower, or generally change things out on the car, you have to be willing to accept a decrease in something, like ride quality, for the improvement of something, like the car's looks...

I agree totally with AUGuy21, I went through 2 sets of 18" wheels on my 02 300 and had the same problems. Got so frustrated with it all, I went back to OEM 16s and a set of Michelin Pilot Exaltos and the car rides like new at all speeds.

• 2 months later...

I don't think it has anything to do with aftermarket wheels and tires. My 98GS has steering shake between about 60-65 then fades away anywhere before or after that. I have OEM rims and tires purchased and put on at the local Lexus dealer.

did you` guys not see the thread about fixing the shake on second generation by adjusting the steering pretensioner. this apparently fixed their shaking problem, they even post pictures and how to so please look it up.

My problem is shaking on a 1994 GS300 which I lead to believe does not have an adjustable steering pretensioner, therefore, I will continue to explore options to fix my problem while racking up $$$$$

does anyone know a good LEXUS mechanic near or around Snellville Georgia area?

good luck guys!

did you` guys not see the thread about fixing the shake on second generation by adjusting the steering pretensioner. this apparently fixed their shaking problem, they even post pictures and how to so please look it up.

My problem is shaking on a 1994 GS300 which I lead to believe does not have an adjustable steering pretensioner, therefore, I will continue to explore options to fix my problem while racking up $$$$$

does anyone know a good LEXUS mechanic near or around Snellville Georgia area?

good luck guys!

Guys I took my 1994 GS300 to Kaufman's Tire and they balance my tires and my car runs smooth like new. Inspite of such result I was upset because I took my car to NTB for balancing approximately four times and the care was still shaing, NTB told me that I need new rims because my rims were bent. I went out and purchase new rims, went back to NTB since I have balancing and lifetime paid for dor one year. Again they did not balance my wheels right, I was thinking that maybe I need suspension parts. I was driving by Kaufman's Tires in Loganville Georgia off HWY 78 went in and they balanced my tires and make my care feel new again. That tells me that there are tire shops out there that either dont care or dont know what they are doing. Good luck to you other guys with same issue.

ok seriously i had the same shake everyone had but mine mainly was at 80 + (which is where i spend most my time anyways) so i just had my tires replaced with my michelin energy mxv4's, new alignment (my rear was out a little and my front caster is out but they said that isnt adjustable), and nitrogen in the tires..... havent driven on the highway yet but from the ride from the shop back to my work (seriously maybe half a mile between our works) and OMFG that was the smoothest ride i have EVER riden in! i shall be going to nashville from memphis tomorrow morning so i will see how the interstate ride is!

brian

I put hub centric in my rims and it solve my problem, I had a shake last week took the wheels off and realize that when I had my tires changed last week some how they took one of the center ring out. I bought another ring and my problem is solved.

What size rings did you get? And from where? I see a set on Just for tires (or something like that) for about $35, but they have to be cheaper somewhere else?

Poonash

Link the fix from the steering tensioner on a reply please.

Can somebody please do a course of actions needed to fix this god da%$ problem.

I have 17" BBS rims and Firestone Firehawks and you can't get much better than that and mine still rattles the teeth out of my head from 55-65. Thats Bullsh%$ on a car like this. Factory rims and lugs do the same thing (Blizzacks mounted on factory rims).

Frustrated! :cries: