2001 Ls430

PennState

for 4 months I have had a 2001 LS430 with DVD/NAV. I love the car, but have had a few issues and I was just wondering if this is routine stuff at 49,800 miles or whether my car is just having some bad luck.

Problems:

1. Steering wheel needed warranty work (I think it was a service bulletin) because when it retracted when the car was turned off it made a loud grinding noise... this was fixed under warranty.

2. Humming noise from dashboard area, which turns out to be a leak in the brake pump vacuum?... anyway, this will be fixed this week under warranty.

3. clicking sound from the moulding in the sun-roof. Not a really big problem, just kind of annoying.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Fred

That tilt wheel can cause a grinding / shimmy........my 99 LS had done that maybe twice in the last 6 months (in the summer ). I does require a little grease along the sliding mechanisms within the column.

A lexus mechanic told me they just use good old ball bearing grease......

I'll get to that one when (if) it ever gets slightly more consistent - so far, so good.

You could just find the spot where you like it and turn the tilt/retract system completely off so it stays in one spot............ <_< but I'd rather see it work :lol:

The only thing thats not normal for the LS is the leaky pump vacuum. The steering column is a simple lubrication issue and the creaky moonroof is a problem on all Lexus', I believe they have an updated moonroof gasket, I'm having it installed on mine at the next service stop.

I agree with VBDenny on this one. Even my 1990 LS400, with 235K did not have any the problems you mentioned- no "creaky" moonroof, nor any grinding/growling problems with my auto tilt steering- even though it did have several other "annoyances"- which was expected for a 14 year old car with high miles. However, I personally would not expect ANY problems on a 2001 LS430 with such low miles. I was be annoyed by this as well. Perhaps just a fluke..... :unsure: At least it is repaired now?

As a comparison- my aunt has a 2001 Nissan Altima that has had a few problems- even at a current 33K 1-owner miles. Power window switch (right rear) broken by one of her boys, and driver front window off of track- odd- considering the window was very rarely used, because she always uses the climate control unit. Cars warranty recently ran out- not because of mileage factor, but rather because of age factor..... :rolleyes: Only a 3 year warranty and the car was 3 years old in June of 04'. Does have an extended powertrain warranty.

Thanks for the responses. I will check into the gasket for the creaking moonroof. The Vacuum issue is going to be fixed this week. The car has not given me any other trouble and it drives so very quietly and smoothly. I did buy it off a Lexus dealer as a CPO, but I am starting to think that the previous owner might have neglected it to some extent.

My question is, if I give it all the TLC it needs with frequent oil changes and servicing and garage parking, can I expect the frequency of problems to decrease? Or am I doomed with a lemon?

Thanks again

Fred

Thanks for the responses. I will check into the gasket for the creaking moonroof. The Vacuum issue is going to be fixed this week. The car has not given me any other trouble and it drives so very quietly and smoothly. I did buy it off a Lexus dealer as a CPO, but I am starting to think that the previous owner might have neglected it to some extent.

My question is, if I give it all the TLC it needs with frequent oil changes and servicing and garage parking, can I expect the frequency of problems to decrease? Or am I doomed with a lemon?

Thanks again

Fred

I have an '04 LS and after a cold front moved in, my sunroof has started creaking. The temperature isn't really cold, in the 50's & 60's, but my sunroof was silent before the temperature change. My car was built in June '04, so I assume I have the latest gasket.

Mike

Penn State,

I don't think you have a lemon......although I'd be annoyed at the tilt wheel & such too........

With TLC your car should be just fine......

MikeP,

That is not good about your gasket, (or yours penn state)..........sounds like a manufacturing defect.....etc

I wipe a silicone based product around my sunroof gasket(s) in fall and spring to keep it as pliable as possible.......

Mike- The gasket upgrade just came out actually, its a much thicker gasket.

To cut down on the issue until you can have it looked at you can clean and lubricate that strip with some silicone grease.

99lsguy & Steve,

Thanks for the tip about treating the gasket with silicone. I did that this afternoon and took a ride around the block. The sunroof was quiet again. I did wash my car after I went for a spin, so I'll have to see if water washed away any of the silicone. My sunroof was replaced last month, so I don't know if it has the new thicker gasket or not. I did notice that the sunroof on the driver's side, sits a little lower than the passenger side when closed. I'll have the dealer check it out when I go in for my 5000 mile service, or sooner if I can't get the groaning to stop.

Mike

Mike & Swo....,

What silicone did you use.....

I've been using the Preston Spray silicone......squirt it on a rag and then go at it....

I've always just done the top with the sunroof closed/sealed up......

Maybe I should use the tilt & retract to get the insides treated as well?????

Works great on the door seals also.

:cheers:

That should work fine. Definately open the sunroof up and get the insides of the seals.

I did exactly that. I tilted the sunroof up to get the rear and sides of the gasket, then slid it back enough to get the front. I used my car this morning after washing it yesterday and :D the sunroof was still quiet, no groans. So far, so good. Thanks guys.

Mike