Lots Of Bad Sounds, What Do You Think?

ylekiot1

Here's the deal. I was on the highway and exitied and after I made a turn i noticed ticking on accelleration. After I parked the car I heard grinding. The engine seems to be running fine, no lights are on, fluid levels were ok. I had to drive the car 2 miles to get somewhere safe. Occasionaly the noises would come and go. Any ideas? When I got to a place to park it, the noises are more consistant. More grinding than anything. Car temp was fine, no fluid leaks from under the car. Timing belt replaced 40K ago. Car has 200K. Car idles fine, just seems to be under a little load. I am hoping it is a bearing of some sort?

I had it towed but am dreading the news. Ideas?

I just realized that maybe the power steering pump leak from the air idle valve on the power steering pump might have caused my alternator to fail. I noticed the leak a few weeks ago and haven't had time to take it in. Has anyone had the alternator fail with these types of noises?

I just realized that maybe the power steering pump leak from the air idle valve on the power steering pump might have caused my alternator to fail.  I noticed the leak a few weeks ago and haven't had time to take it in.  Has anyone had the alternator fail with these types of noises?

more than likely thats what it is...

Before you jump to conclusions, go over to Sears and buy a mechanics stethoscope (about $12). They are very sensitive and you should easily be able to pinpoint the noise. It could be something as sinple as a piece of cardboard or plastic stuck in the fan.

Turned out to be something like the fan bracket assembly had a bearing incorporated in it. Bearing went bad. If it goes bad it goes bad quickly. Started hearing ticking, then rattling then GRINDING! Car was quiet and 2 miles later had rattling and grinding bearing noise. My mechanic is a Lexus only mechanic and is VERY good here in Overland Park, Kansas (exactauto.com) and says this is a problem just starting to show up on the 90-94 models with some miles. If it does the above with grinding noise PARK IT! If it goes out while on the highway you might have more damage to other components, (flying metal does that), meaning more $$. Mine just hit 200,000 miles. Another issue to look for. Car also had the idle air switch on the power steering pump going bad too. The switch sends air to the intake manifold when the steering wheel is at full lock, putting a load on the ps pump and engine. To compensate the increased load and to increase idle to what it should be, the air from the power steering pump air switch increases the idle speed, offsetting the load. When the air switch goes bad, power steering fluid slowly goes up the vaccuum hose into the intake manifold and burns off as a white smoke in the exhaust at startup. Got the car back today. Running great. Looking to get the next 200,000 miles. Cost me 700 for both though (455 fan assembly) 250 ps air switch (P & L).

My fan bracket bearing went out at 202k miles. The drive belt idler pulley and tensioner pulley bearings have also gone out within the last couple of months.

It looks like 200k is the limit for these bearinngs on the drive belt.