About To Own A 2001 Rx 300

LoveBunny

I am about to get my brother's 2001 RX 300. It doesn't have a navigation system and I'm wondering if there is a way to install it or should I just get a detachable one? He says I should just buy one that is portable but then I am worried it would get stolen from the car. I don't know where to begin so does anyone have any experience with this? Any advice would be helpful.

From what I was told concerning my 2000 RX300.......... that it wouldn't be worth the cost to install it............our suv wasn't set up the navigation system, so it would the suv would have to be totally rewired. I'm not sure if this applies to the 2001 model also or not. I would go with your brother and get a portable one. Good Luck

From what I was told concerning my 2000 RX300.......... that it wouldn't be worth the cost to install it............our suv wasn't set up the navigation system, so it would the suv would have to be totally rewired. I'm not sure if this applies to the 2001 model also or not. I would go with your brother and get a portable one. Good Luck

very true

• 2 weeks later...

very true

Can you please post any updates with your navigation project on your RX, I too want to install GPS on my '00RX :)

I have had extensive conversations via email with Pioneersubuy..who is a frequent poster on this board....i have an 01 rx also..and almost bought an upgrade package from him....in order to add the oem nav to the car...i would have had to:

1. replace the radio, screen and surrounding trim piece with the oem nav units...

2. add the oem computer in the compartment near the spare tire and run the cables to it from the back of the new radio

3. add a antenna unit somewhere in the back of the vehicle...and run the cable also to the back of the new radio

on top of all this..unless you were to change the ENTIRE factory wiring harness...all of this is useless...Pioneersubuy had made a "Y" type connector that would enable you to plug into the factory wiring harness without any splicing...so when its all said and done..you have to find all of those components from a salvaged rx 300 w/ nav (VERY rare) and then find someone to make the harness....